Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:36 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,309,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I completely agree with you. The businesses that are failing are the ones that were doing ok before just getting by with their mediocre offerings. Good and popular restaurants are still doing great...I went to Cibo this week on Wednesday and waited around 40 minutes for a table! They are always packed because their food is excellent. If anything, the recession is just weeding out the mediocre places.
That's how it's always been in this city. People are willing to pay for quality. I was at Joes Farm Grille in Gilbert two weeks ago on a Friday night. There was a line that was the length of a football field waiting to order. It's a very popular place and the food is great. I would say that business is thriving.

The reality is the competition is increasing. There are more quality restaurants to the degree that these chains are suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 05:48 PM

39,086 posts, read 51,273,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That's how it's always been in this city. People are willing to pay for quality. I was at Joes Farm Grille in Gilbert two weeks ago on a Friday night. There was a line that was the length of a football field waiting to order. It's a very popular place and the food is great. I would say that business is thriving.

The reality is the competition is increasing. There are more quality restaurants to the degree that these chains are suffering.
There is indeed fierce competition. We are over-commercialized in the Valley - way over commercialized. There probably isn't another place on the planet with the concentration of places to shop and spend your money of that in the Phoenix metro area. Callender's will never be missed. There's 10 more similar places within a two mile radius I am sure.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:57 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,234,466 times
Yep - I don't think they fell victim to the prospects of AZ ... i think it's just that the AZ prospects swallowed them up .... a dozen other places came in at their price point and did something similar that was better .... they couldn't adapt and didn't make it

ponderosa - that is something that sticks out when I have visitors in - just the sheer concentration of businesses

also, HX there are plenty of excellent places in Glendale - it's a large city with a lot of choices

I do agree about cibo though - although I've never had too bad of a wait there as they do a really nice job at getting food out and turning tables without rushing people through

azriver - i completely agree about chains in more remote areas .... back where I grew up options were limited - the chains were a good 40 minutes away and had massive waits .... there were some decent local options in the surrounding towns, but the repitition could be mind numbing

Old 06-17-2011, 07:30 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,348,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
The only one left in Tucson is closing, too. I guess that's it in AZ.

Ha, they even took AZ off their map of locations. That was fast!

Marie Callender's - Find Us
Closed up here in the Seattle area too. Actually KICKED the customers out in the midst of their meal.

VERY BAD FORM.

Ken

Old 06-17-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's also poor strategy on their part. These places are not going to survive in large metropolitan areas because there is too much competition and better options now. Places like Bennigans and Ruby Tuesday should have been targeting small town America 10 years ago. Seriously, Olive Garden opened in Sierra Vista and there was a 2 hour wait. People in these little towns love chains because having a chain is better than having nothing.
Different type of business of course, but what you espouse is exactly the way Walmart grew into a giant - by focusing on the smaller towns with few other options THEN they moved into the larger metro areas.

It's a pretty good suggestion you make and I agree that some of these restaurant chains should be doing that.

Ken

Old 06-17-2011, 08:32 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,165,270 times
The Arizona angle is just a small part of the story. 58 locations closed, and only five were here. Marie Callender's closes all Arizona locations

Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Callendar's is just the latest in a long series of closings,business failures, and canceled plans in Arizona since the recession. Expect more to come. Arizona's future is bleak and these businesses know it.
The NATIONAL parent company filed Chapter 11. It isn't like the only locations closing were in AZ --65 of them all over the country.

EDIT: Whether it's 58 or 65, this is not another "Arizona's bad economy" story.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:12 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,070,740 times
too bad....so many employees now scrambling....

gotta say, though, that they'd gotten a bit quaint and dowdy....

and I heard their pies weren't made in-store anymore....

the small town vs. large metro area discussion here is a good point.....I'm sure Marie Callendar's would do well only in small towns, but "corporate" probably has $$ in their eyes when they see big metro areas

Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,005,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
too bad....so many employees now scrambling....

gotta say, though, that they'd gotten a bit quaint and dowdy....

and I heard their pies weren't made in-store anymore....

the small town vs. large metro area discussion here is a good point.....I'm sure Marie Callendar's would do well only in small towns, but "corporate" probably has $$ in their eyes when they see big metro areas
I think anytime someone starts selling their foods in the frozen section of the supermarket, its' not a good sign.

I've heard some great things about other chains in Phoenix, but they too have pursued the mass marketing angle. I wonder if their demise will be the same.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I think anytime someone starts selling their foods in the frozen section of the supermarket, its' not a good sign.

I've heard some great things about other chains in Phoenix, but they too have pursued the mass marketing angle. I wonder if their demise will be the same.
I'd think I'd agree with that - though not necessarily because it's a bad sign in of itself, but rather because any expansion into a new area (in this case frozen foods) carries with it new risks along with that new opportunity.

Some years back (the early 1990's) there was a successful restaurant here in Seattle called Mary Pangs. They were doing very well and eventually branched out into frozen dinners. Unfortunately their son Martin was a scumbag who fancied himself to be a combination Bruce Lee & Ladies Man. When he took over the business as they went into semi-retirement he ran it into the ground with his high living. Eventually he cut back so much on the restaurant quality that he was simply heating up the frozen dinners & serving it as "freshly cooked". When business dropped even more he staged a fire at the food processing plant for the insurance money. Sadly 4 Seattle firefighters died in the Mary Pang fire when the floor gave way beneath them & they plunged into the burning basement. It remains one of the biggest most infamous fires in Seattle history. Today Martin Pang remains in prison after pleading guilty to 4 counts of manslaughter.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area