Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 12:31 PM

54 posts, read 112,538 times

Advertisements

We will be arriving very soon ( husband next week) to work in 85310 zip - No 35th Dr. I have been doing my home/apt search in the 85308 area pretty exclusively after much research here on C/D. Last week we moved my 90 yr old MIL into a home in 85254 on N. 66th St. It just occurred to me that I have explored nothing to the East of 85310. We would be closer to her if we went in that direction. Could anyone give me any insight on the pros/cons of these areas? I know that's a pretty general question. We plan to rent an apt. spending up to $1,000, maybe a bit less. (We are keeping our home in the Bay Area, as this work contract is for 2 years) We are in our sixties, active and adventurous. Another little twist - our partner and his family will also be relocating and we would like to be in the same general vicinity. They are younger Filipino family with in-laws and 5 yr old plus a newborn due next month, so schools etc. are a consideration. They, too, will be renting apt or 3- 4 BR house. It's all happening so fast..I plan to go down there in a couple of weeks and thought I had about 6 places in 85308 narrowed down for my search, but this new thought throws me a bit. Help! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 08:15 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,209,353 times
85310 is Glendale, about 20 miles give or take to 85254 in Scottsdale/NE Phoenix. I live near 85254 and love the area. This is where there are tons of golf courses, shopping, restaurants, resorts. I suspect it would be a doable commute. Also adjacent 85050 parts near Desert Ridge are really nice. I do not have school age children, but have heard the schools are good in this area. The neighborhood is very nice.

The con: I suspect it will be more expensive, tho you should be able to do an apartment in the $1k range. I originally lived in this area at Mayo and Scottsdale and was about $1299 on a two br apt. Moved down to Mesa 85206 and got a one br for $625 including free basic cable lol. Now I live about a mile directly east of my first apt and got $950 on a two br, right by the TPC golf course.

So I suspect it all depends if the commute would bother you. I would pick this area over Glendale anyday, but that is just my preference of course.

Nix 85207 Mesa. That would be a roughly 50 mile commute.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:04 AM

54 posts, read 112,538 times
Ivanabacowboy - thanks for your input. I was wondering if I just don't know the right subject lines for a proper response. I am aware that the Scottsdale area is preferred by many ( that is my husband's birth neighborhood) however our job will be closer to Glendale. Are there a multitude of nice apts. in the area East of the Arrowhead area to explore? We want a nice place - quiet and safe, with amenities nearby, but a decent commute is also high on the priority list. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area