Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times

Advertisements

I think I know why, but does anyone here for sure know why?

I got all excited tonight thinking that FINALLY I'd be able to sit outside and feel, hear, smell some rain, and pretty much nothin'. I remember in 96-97 a lot of rain. Heck, it even seems to me like just a few years ago there was more rain. And I remember all the geckos when I first moved here in 03 everywhere and now they are gone. Does anyone know what is going on? Where did all the geckos go? I used to be afraid of them and now I don't even see them anymore. Something has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 09:39 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Maybe the food source your geckos liked in your yard is no longer there, or they found another one they like better. It's early in the monsoon yet, I think the last few days have been too hot to have a wet storm come into the Valley. Time will tell whether we get a decent monsoon season or not.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Maybe the food source your geckos liked in your yard is no longer there, or they found another one they like better. It's early in the monsoon yet, I think the last few days have been too hot to have a wet storm come into the Valley. Time will tell whether we get a decent monsoon season or not.
I would not see why. They were plastered all over the top of my patio and now they are gone. Has anyone else noticed this?

I think that the rain is coming less and less frequently over the years. It certainly is nothing like it was in the mid 90s.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:45 PM

475 posts, read 814,338 times
Looks like a good storm went across N. Phoenix. from the radar anyways.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes172 View Post
Looks like a good storm went across N. Phoenix. from the radar anyways.
Well, I am in the NE and I think I felt about three raindrops. I could research this more, but I think what is happening is it's just too hot here now. I think when a storm front hits this place, the heat just repels it and it moves on. I think as time goes on and this place gets more built up we will see more of this and less rain. But I am happy to be corrected.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:51 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
The rain isn't like it was in the 60's and 70's, either. The heat island is real. The storms used to always hit in the late afternoon and early evening, back then. Now, we seem to get some of the wetter storms in the middle of the night and even into the early morning hours, like after 4 am, when it is cool enough for the storms to move in.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:56 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
Where in the NE Valley are you? I was at 64th St and Greenway when the storm came and it came down hard! It rained really good for at least 30 minutes. We went by 101/Scottsdale afterwards and it's soaking wet everywhere.

I was following the radar maps on my phone and it looks like the whole north Valley, north of the 101 got some good rain and especially north Scottsdale and NE Phoenix.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The rain isn't like it was in the 60's and 70's, either. The heat island is real. The storms used to always hit in the late afternoon and early evening, back then. Now, we seem to get some of the wetter storms in the middle of the night and even into the early morning hours, like after 4 am, when it is cool enough for the storms to move in.
Well, that explains it, but not the geckos. I've read the bee population is dying off too, but that has nothing to do with Phoenix per se. Just that things are changing and I can't explain just where the geckos went.

I guess I am thinking of moving to Portland, where I'll most likely be bemoaning all the rain. Can't win for losing. Still, I can't stand a steady diet of heat with no rain. And the way things are headed, it just looks like less rain going forward and I need some rain!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:58 PM

475 posts, read 814,338 times
From the radar it looks like it went east to west.

NWS radar image loop of Composite Reflectivity from Phoenix, AZ

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?p...d=IWA&loop=yes

Old 07-03-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Where in the NE Valley are you? I was at 64th St and Greenway when the storm came and it came down hard! It rained really good for at least 30 minutes. We went by 101/Scottsdale afterwards and it's soaking wet everywhere.

I was following the radar maps on my phone and it looks like the whole north Valley, north of the 101 got some good rain and especially north Scottsdale and NE Phoenix.
Well, then I guess I got "lucky" and it missed me. I am south of the 101 off Scottsdale Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area