Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 09:41 AM

12 posts, read 45,093 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone the Davis Family has decided to join the "MOve to Arizona movement". our plan is in March of 2012. We have been researching like the others but I would like some advice on a couple of things plz. Yes we are coming from the MID_WEST(Oshkosh Wisconsin) family (1 child 3 yrs old by the time we move). We looked at Prescott Valley area but I am noticing a lot of post about job concerns. Hubby has CDL class A doubles, and Triples (loaded cdl as I call it) and I am a Hairstylist considering going back to school to become an educator in the beauty industry. So as I have been researching it looks like we may want to start in the smaller part of the LARGE PHOENIX area. so we have narrowed it to GLendale or Mesa. FOr me I got excited when I seen Glendale has jazz festivals( i know it shouldn't be a requirement) but I am getting conflicting views on Mesa. soooooo these are my PLEASE HELP MY RESEARCH QUESTIONS

1. 6 months before our move what should we be concentrating on(never mover this far before)
2. How early should we start applying for jobs in the area?

3. If anyone has relocated a great distance which option (movers,self-move, container) would be best for a 2bedroom w/garage. the cheapest I guess i am asking?
4.We are looking for rental properties. between 500-600 just to get there look around and then find a home to purchase, about a year later is the advise I am reading( thkn start low and then get our footing and lay of the land)
We would like a safe area, but I know every area has something pros and cons- just don't want to end up in a area where we are just afraid to leave our house via day or night.
SO if anyone has any ideas Please help any advise is accepted- oh yeah let me say this (WE ARE OK WITH THE hot hot hot WEATHER!
Please help because we would like to have a location decided before we try to scout it out. looking for (arts, fun, family environment ability for my hubby to take his photography to another level. THANK YOU in advance
Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 01:47 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,364 times
Welcome! The furthest I've moved is from Mesa to Gilbert, so I'm not much help with most of your questions. I would image that renting a U-haul and moving yourself would be the least expensive option. I've had clients use the containers, and they loved that - check prices!

Finding a real nice home to rent in Mesa for under $600 will be very challenging. An apartment might be a better option. I do think it would be a good idea to rent before you purchase. Glendale and Mesa are on opposite ends of the valley, so you should check them both out.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:05 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdavis View Post
We are looking for rental properties. between 500-600 just to get there look around and then find a home to purchase, about a year later is the advise I am reading( thkn start low and then get our footing and lay of the land)
Renting first is a wise decision. However, I think it would be virtually impossible to find a safe house in your stated price range. Even apartments will be dicey for a safe two bedroom in that range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area