Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:35 PM

36 posts, read 57,854 times

Advertisements

I have a possible job opportunity for 1+ yr contract in the I.T. field in Arizona coming up within the next month. The job is out in the middle of nowhere (somewhere near Wintersburg or Buckeye), so obviously my commute will be at least 45 minutes. With that said I was told I'd be going against traffic.

What areas are great to live for a single guy (early 40s)? I do know that compared to my neighborhood (west side of Los Angeles), that the one similar city in AZ is Scottsdale. That's an even farther commute, so I'm looking at Glendale, and perhaps Pheonix itself. Or perhaps Avondale? Though was told that's more for families. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 09:59 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
what do you like to do? ... there is probably a spot or two that could work in the western part of the city that would cut some time down

it is against traffic from about the I-17 west along I-10 .... however, it is a long distance (especially out to wintersburg) .... the freeway opens up to 75 mph just past goodyear, so that can help ... but it's still a good stretch of miles

off hand I would probably focus on goodyear or glendale near westgate .... although that's without knowing much more than age and status

Old 09-13-2011, 10:11 PM

Well to give you an idea, I like the environment of a Scottsdale. In terms of what I like to do, I would like to have a good night life area, with theaters, and to see concerts, as well as restaurants, bars. But I know Scottsdale is very far. So far research is pointing me towards Glendale but what parts of Glendale is the key.

Thanks for the comments Finger Lake.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:19 PM

I'd say either the westgate area (glendale ave & loop 101) or the arrowhead area (near 83rd ave & bell).

At westgate you have the hockey arena which has concerts/events, the football stadium, a large AMC theater, some bars/restaurants and good access to the plaza at 101 & northern as well as an easy trip to downtown glendale which has some good eats

Arrowhead is a little further away - but very reachable from westgate - maybe 10-15 minutes ..... close to the mall and a massive concentration of bars & restaurants .... not as theme driven as westgate, but a very solid area .... also about 20 minutes to desert ridge & north scottsdale - you'd be looking at probably 50 min to 1 hr each way though from there

both would provide good access to whatever they're calling the outdoor concert pavilion this week, spring training sites, etc

Old 09-13-2011, 10:25 PM

So it seems as if Glendale would make it tolerable for my commute, but very good commute if I wanted to go to Scottsdale as I hear that's where it would be the fun night life in addition to the nightlife in Glendale correct?

Currently on Google Maps trying to find these locations you mentioned (i.e. the 101 loop)

Old 09-13-2011, 10:39 PM

if you can search on the google maps it may be easier to put in a landmark

jobing.com arena would put you near the westgate area (or cabelas which is across the street)

peoria sports complex would show the area near the 101 in the arrowhead section

probably not easy to get to scottsdale from the westgate area ..... from arrowhead you are looking at easy access to only north scottsdale and not old town - there are some very distinctly scottsdale places in north scottsdale though, just not the critical mass of clubs, etc

there are also places in desert ridge which can be fun to go out at night as well

from westgate you are probably looking at a strong 40-50 miles to work, depending on exactly where you land way out to the west

add another 10 miles to get into the arrowhead area ..... which would be about the same distance as just coming from downtown phoenix, but maybe a little bit longer on actual commute as you work your way through the city streets

downtown would give you access to downtown (how obvious is that statement?!), tempe via light rail (which may or may not hold appeal - at 32 it seems to hold a little less each passing year - but i'm not single) and a shorter drive to old town scottsdale

i personally think that the arrowhead area has more living options, a lot more convenience and i personally like it a little bit better .... but your mileage may vary

Old 09-13-2011, 10:45 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,941,658 times
If it was me, I would find a place in downtown Phoenix. It's about 7 miles further than Westgate (or less then 10 minutes driving), but puts you much closer to Old Town Scottsdale plus there are a variety of places in downtown itself...great comedy place, concert venues, basketball, baseball, Lucky Strike bowling, tons of restaurants. Westgate is ok, but it's like a big outdoor mall and nothing else, there is nothing else around there. It may be ok to visit once per month, but what about the rest of the time?

I live up in the Arrowhead area and when going out, I ALWAYS either go to Scottsdale, central Phoenix, or downtown Phoenix. Never do I go out around Arrowhead or to Westgate. The scene on the west side of town just seems a lot more family oriented, the restaurants at Arrowhead are your typical Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Buca di Bepo, Red Lobster, etc...not exactly places with a good scene. Scottsdale has a ton of clubs, lounges, and great restaurants with a good scene (Sushi Roku, The Mission) and central Phoenix has a ton of options as well..The Vig, Postinos...tons of others.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:50 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
If it was me, I would find a place in downtown Phoenix. It's about 7 miles further than Westgate (or less then 10 minutes driving), but puts you much closer to Old Town Scottsdale plus there are a variety of places in downtown itself...great comedy place, concert venues, basketball, Lucky Strike bowling, tons of restaurants. Westgate is ok, but it's like a big outdoor mall and nothing else, there is nothing else around there. It may be ok to visit once per month, but what about the rest of the time?

I live up in the Arrowhead area and when going out, I ALWAYS either go to Scottsdale, central Phoenix, or downtown Phoenix. Never do I go out around Arrowhead or to Westgate. The scene on the west side of town just seems a lot more family oriented, the restaurants at Arrowhead are your typical Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Buca di Bepo, Red Lobster, etc...not exactly places with a good scene. Scottsdale has a ton of clubs, lounges, and great restaurants with a good scene (Sushi Roku, The Mission) and central Phoenix has a ton of options as well..The Vig, Postinos...tons of others.
What he said.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 PM

Being from Los Angeles (Brentwood section) which is in between Santa Monica and Westwood-UCLA (the school), and just southeast of Malibu and Pacific Palisades I'm use to mountains and the Pacific Ocean and the cool, warm temp. Though if I go north just 5-10 miles, temps go from 85 to 105. So I'm not going to have the ocean and lovely PCH, but can appreciate still being out west.

With that said, thank you all so much for the descriptions. From reading other threads (I did search the forums for "Glendale") it seems that to live around Glendale, the "Arrowhead" area would be nice, and then to go out on the town I'd go east to Scottsdale.

HX_Guy, Jukesgrrl, thank you so much. Right now I pay $1,550 for a 1-bdr/1-bth in LA!! So I can imagine what that or perhaps even $1000-1200 would get me. If I can reduce the rent by just a few hundred dollars, that would be awesome. On top of that, the salary, I'd be getting is excellent for me, and I'm actually considering a change of scenery just to try something new.

The idea and logistics of moving is a pain in the ass, and I know the "heat" would be insane but I'd rather deal with that than 100% humidity which is what I was used to growing up in NYC.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:52 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,941,658 times
Rent will be cheaper in the Glendale area than downtown. The Arrowhead area, a 1 bed/1 bath apt ~750 sq ft is around $750-$800 (fairly new 1995+). Downtown will differ a bit more because there are older buildings and brand new ones. You can get a typical 1 bed/1 bath 10-15 hrs old) for around $1000 or a brand new apt in a 34 story building for $1300+...just depends what you're looking for. Again though, I would absolutely go with downtown vs Glendale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area