Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 04:27 PM

10 posts, read 18,240 times

Advertisements

I have read countless forum's on where not to live in Phoenix, (its's truly been very helpful this past 8 months) but when it comes to finding the right apartment complex in Tempe or Ahwatukee, I find myself more confused. I have read apartment reviews after apartment reviews and still can not make a choice. I tend to like the Mark-Taylor properties and thought I found the right one until I recently was contacted by another location, this one being in Tempe (Metropointe) or Arboretum at South Mountain (Ahwatukee), I am trying to remain in the Kyrene School District. I had also considered living further north 1-17/ Carefree Hwy, but thought the drive to Tempe each day would be too far and worried about being that far away from my teenager... Does anyone have any suggestions on apartments in these areas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 04:53 PM

131 posts, read 211,222 times
We just began renting at Portofino Condominiums in Ahwatukee. So far, so good. Because they're condos they are much nicer than apartments (paint, appliances, quality overall), but many of the condos here are maintained by the property management company so they're treated like apartments as far as maintenance, etc. Best of both worlds. And the price is about the same as apartments around here.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I have viewed them (online) before. My only concern they appear slightly smaller and do they have additional storage?. They say they are just under a 1,000 sq ft. I either need a 3 bedroom or a two bedroom big enough for a home office in the dining area or bedroom. Fitting a desk and a king size bed in some master bedrooms is gonna be tricky!

Old 01-22-2012, 05:14 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,569,209 times
ApartmentRatings.com is pretty much on the money. I am renting my third apartment in the Phoenix metro area since 2000. Had to move to Ahwatukee as a sibling wanted to be in that area and we were sharing apartments. Used Apartmentratings to get the apartment. Plugged in 85044. The reviews were true. I would like to live elsewhere eventually to newly-built (but well-built) apartments near Frank Loyd Wright/101 but it's not convenient. I like the airport accessibility from Ahwatukee and I like many other things about Ahwatukee. After several years, my apartment is still the highest rated in Ahwatukee.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
After several years, my apartment is still the highest rated in Ahwatukee.
Howard may I ask which apartment complex. I have also been using apartmentratings.com, it has been very helpful but as I have to decide site unseen, it's been difficult to pin point the perfect one (within a budget).

Old 01-24-2012, 01:46 AM

3 posts, read 6,063 times
Howard, may ask which apartment complex too? I've been searchig for rental for 3 months and can not decide.

San Simeon, Portofiono, Pinaccle, Arboretum, San Paulo, San Melia are in my lists. I'm lookig for well maintained which means cleaness apartment/condo. On the web, it looks pretty much same looking.

Can you recommend some?

Old 01-25-2012, 06:55 PM

131 posts, read 211,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boringdelaney View Post
My only concern they appear slightly smaller and do they have additional storage?. They say they are just under a 1,000 sq ft. I either need a 3 bedroom or a two bedroom big enough for a home office in the dining area or bedroom. Fitting a desk and a king size bed in some master bedrooms is gonna be tricky!
The two-bedroom models are 1,118 sq ft and the three-bedrooms are 1,393. It would be a squeeze to make a home office in the dining room, but of course it's definitely roomy enough in a bedroom. I'm finding plenty of storage what with the laundry room, hall closet, linen closet, and locked outdoor storage (although the kitchen could use a couple more drawers). I hope this helps.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,715,535 times
I was hoping prior to relocating out here to invest in property in NE Mesa eventually. I stumbled upon Tempe through a realtor Moderator cut: snip. For now, I am renting a 1350 sq ft townhome for the next year and will weigh my options. The eastern part of Tempe near Southern and Baseline is where I am at. It's very centrally located in the valley to one's needs. Easy access to shopping along Baseline,etc. Easy access up McClintock to the heart of Tempe as well. I may very well stay in Tempe for the long haul. The homes are decent and far more centralized than NE Mesa which I originally targeted. Quite frankly, the area out near Power/Bush HWY is no different to me than the area of Tempe I am at.

I recommend renting a townhome or a homeModerator cut: snip. Apartments are really not any cheaper, much smaller square footage and have kindergartenlike restrictions. Good luck in your search !

Lastly, I am openminded and have driven and stopped in places like Guadalupe in the short time I've lived here. However, I'd advise you to be careful when renting a place down that way. A bit seedier on the far westside of Tempe near Priest than the more eastern parts closer to the 101.

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-26-2012 at 04:55 AM..

Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boringdelaney View Post
I have read countless forum's on where not to live in Phoenix, (its's truly been very helpful this past 8 months) but when it comes to finding the right apartment complex in Tempe or Ahwatukee, I find myself more confused. I have read apartment reviews after apartment reviews and still can not make a choice. I tend to like the Mark-Taylor properties and thought I found the right one until I recently was contacted by another location, this one being in Tempe (Metropointe) or Arboretum at South Mountain (Ahwatukee), I am trying to remain in the Kyrene School District. I had also considered living further north 1-17/ Carefree Hwy, but thought the drive to Tempe each day would be too far and worried about being that far away from my teenager... Does anyone have any suggestions on apartments in these areas...
You wrote that you drive to Tempe each day, what part of Tempe?

I work in the northern part of Tempe near Rio Salado and Mill, is this close to where you need to go?

There are apartments and condominiums going for a really good deal around there. Some are more fitted for the ASU students but others on the Tempe-Phoenix border are on the light rail line and attract more of a diverse crowd.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
You wrote that you drive to Tempe each day, what part of Tempe?

I work in the northern part of Tempe near Rio Salado and Mill, is this close to where you need to go?

There are apartments and condominiums going for a really good deal around there. Some are more fitted for the ASU students but others on the Tempe-Phoenix border are on the light rail line and attract more of a diverse crowd.
No, I do not drive by anything at this point, I am still in Ohio... I am in search of an apartment in the Tempe area, but finding it difficult to locate appropriate housing that isn't way north. I am most likely going to rent an apartment in the Elliot and S. Priest area, which doesn't appear completely safe but I guess I will take the gamble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area