Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:55 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,877 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.. I am a 24 y/o single female looking to move to the Phoenix area later this year, probably around Nov/Dec. I have a few questions and if anyone could help me that would be great

First of all, I dont have a job there yet. How difficult is it for a non-college grad to find a typical office/customer service job? I've been checking craigslist and jobing.com and salaries are higher than South Florida, which is where I live now. Would I be able to survive here on $11-12 an hour and live in a decent neighborhood (small 1 bedroom or studio). I do eventually want to go back to school, but I dont want to do it in Florida. I am sick of living here and I have been wanting to move out west for a few years now and Phoenix seems one of the most affordable, besides Vegas. I know I can also just go to my fall back job which is pet grooming and I know I'll make enough there, even if just until I find something else. Also, I know the PetSmart headquarters are located there, so it wouldnt be a problem getting re-hired.

That said, I've heard fairly good things about Gilbert. I'm not a party/club person, I dont mind a family oriented city. Is Gilbert, specifically 85233, safe enough for a single female to live alone? Can anyone recommend a safer area? I have a friend who lives in Buckeye (which is where I will be staying until I find a job/apt).. but I havent read many good things about it.

Like I said, I am from South Florida, Miami to be exact, so I am not new to heat waves and all the things associated with a hot climate year round. Is there a big difference between the weather in Phoenix and Miami heat-wise? Right now its 89 here but the heat index is at 98. Does the heat index affect the temperature in Phoenix as much as it does here?

My long term plans are not to stay in Phoenix forever, I eventually want to move to California, but I know I cant afford it now, so I'd like to go to school and gain some more work experience before heading out there (to Cal). But AZ seems like a decent place to live, and its got so many places surrounding it to visit (CA, NV, UT, etc). Is it possible to make weekend trips every couple of months to the surrounding areas on a budget? How long does it really take to get to these places (like San Diego, SanFran, Lake Havasu, Vegas)? Mapquest says one thing but many times its wrong.

If anyone can answer some of my questions, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Last edited by Think (Freedom); 08-20-2007 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,493 times
Exclamation wouldn't be my choice

having acted on my decision to "head west" three years ago, I am now leaving Phoenix. Gilbert City, AZ, Gilbert Home Page according to Business Week magazine, is the number 2 fastest growing city in the US. Crime in AZ is one of the highest in the nation (a major crime committed every 1 min 41 sec. in 2006 http://www.azdps.gov/crimereport/06RptPDF.pdf, )according to Arizona state's own web page . Finding a job in Phoenix is a piece of cake. You are correct about the pet grooming field and PetSmart; therefore, jobs in that field should not be a problem. Everyone out West seems to have a pet and every pet owner takes pet care very seriously (just don't let the local Maricopa sheriff's Dept babysit ur animal! Hundreds turn out to honor Chandler police dog | LOCAL NEWS | Phoenix News| azfamily - KTVK| News for Phoenix, Arizona (http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/stories/KTVKLNews20070820_bandit-police-dog-memorial.51fe4d6b.html - broken link) ) I have 3 dogs and was furious to learn of this! Living on $11-12 hr w/o a roomate I think would be a struggle. I live in Black Canyon City and don't recommend this location for anyone, not even my ex-mother-in-law....well maybe...on second thought. In BCC unless your property is nailed down and then set in concrete u can bet it won't be there when u get home from work. This town is the current home of the lawless wild west where theft and drugs are a way of life. I mistakenly settled here b/c it was cheap and close to family and Phx. The heat in the summer is unbearable for 2 months (coming from an extremely cold natured female who is used to hot humid summers). Lack of humidity plays into it by allowing ur makeup to stay in place when u leave the airconditioned building and ur potatoe chips don't get stale until monsoon season! Seriously, 115 degrees is hot but lack of humidity makes it feel like 105 and the potatoes chips are still fresh. Let me know if I can be of further help and good luck

Old 08-20-2007, 12:59 PM

Yeah I've read that crime in AZ is pretty bad.. but its pretty bad in Miami too. I mean I do want to be safe, but I know to expect crime in a big city. Thanks for your help though!! What about traveling? Have you done much to the states around AZ? How long does it take you to get to some of these places, like Vegas, LA and etc?

Old 08-20-2007, 04:17 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonofillfaith View Post
Yeah I've read that crime in AZ is pretty bad.. but its pretty bad in Miami too. I mean I do want to be safe, but I know to expect crime in a big city. Thanks for your help though!! What about traveling? Have you done much to the states around AZ? How long does it take you to get to some of these places, like Vegas, LA and etc?

Hot is hot the heat shouldn't bother you any more than Miami. You'll trade a warm wet blanket for a hot blow dryer or an oven.

YOu could probably get a job easy, but I don't know about the pay. My 24 year old son is struggling right now making ends meet. He only has an Asscociates degree.

Gilbert is a good choice, you'll have some crime but coming from Miami that shouldn't be a major factor either.

Vegas is 5.5 - 6 hours. I've done it many many times on the weekends. California depending on where is gonna be minimum 5 hours. Palm Springs may be closer.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:35 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Since being up in the north valley we can get to Vegas in 4 hours. LA or Pasadena takes us a good 7-8 hours.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:39 PM

sheena & sablebaby - thanks for the info! Thats not too bad.. definitely do-able on a weekend!

Another question, I have found an apartment complex thats reasonably affordable, but I'm not 100% sure about the area... theyre between McQueen and Cooper Rd, on Warner, and South of Baseline Rd, which someone told me to avoid. The zip code is 85233.. can someone tell me is this a decent area? It says its in Gilbert but I want to be sure of the area.

I am going to visit PHX on Labor Day weekend and want to know if this is an area worth checking out or not.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:42 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonofillfaith View Post
sheena & sablebaby - thanks for the info! Thats not too bad.. definitely do-able on a weekend!

Another question, I have found an apartment complex thats reasonably affordable, but I'm not 100% sure about the area... theyre between McQueen and Cooper Rd, on Warner, and South of Baseline Rd, which someone told me to avoid. The zip code is 85233.. can someone tell me is this a decent area? It says its in Gilbert but I want to be sure of the area.

I am going to visit PHX on Labor Day weekend and want to know if this is an area worth checking out or not.

No I was going to tell you not over there. I can't remember the complex but it's over on Baseline by Val Vista Lakes. I know someone mentioned it before. It's on Baseline Inbetween Val Vista and Greenfield south side of the street. I think it begins with an S. Check the apts in 85236 zipcode except for the one on Power just south of Guadalupe.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:49 PM

The address of this place is 1300 W Warner Rd.. its a few miles off of Baseline, right off McQueen... theyre called Bayside at the Islands or something like that

Thanks, I'll look into that zip

EDIT- The Bayside Apts are apparently close to East Valley Mall...?

Old 08-20-2007, 08:31 PM

124 posts, read 413,452 times
dragonofillfaith - Well Im a native of AZ and know the East Valley pretty good, if you are single you will probably love AZ. If you are not a big partier and dont mind a family community Gilbert would be great its a little more expensive then some of the other towns but that is because it is a desirable town and pretty safe for the most part. Val Vista and Baseline is a great are. In looking for a safe place I would stay from Baseline - Pecos after Pecos you are getting into Chandler which is good but might be to far for you from different things its still growing out there. Anyway Baseline - Pecos and Gilbert RD - Power I wouldnt go over the Freeway to Southern then your getting into Mesa and there are some iffy areas Stay away from McQueen and AZ Avenue there are some iffy areas as well. Chandler is a good area to if you look there you want to go from Germann - Riggs and Alma School - Gilbert RD I hope this helps you.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:17 AM

Leaving AZ - Thanks for that info!

What does everyone think of Tempe? Would this be a better choice? What areas (or preferebly zip codes) should I look into there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area