Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,250 times

Advertisements

We are not rude, You summa beatch...hehe...just kiddin...im from NY and no...people are not rude here in Phoenix in general (Ive been here 2 decades)...Might just be that those people ran into a few bad apples...People generally attract like minded people...if youre a good soul..youll run into other good souls no matter where ya travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 01:56 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Who cares about rudeness? Let's talk breasts.

I keep hearing about how Scottsdale women get lots of breast implants. I haven't really noticed--I mean, how do you tell, except that maybe they're more globular and softball-shaped than natural breasts?

I'm a natural kind of guy and I like women just as they are--no need for artificial enhancements. Breasts, who cares how large they are as long as they work? You know, to feed babies? It's a shame that women are so brainwashed by our over-sexed media that they need to get surgery just to feel adequate.

I'm going to start a Natural Breast Appreciation Society to try to counteract this ridiculous trend that mainly benefits cosmetic surgeons and DuPont's silicone industry.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:07 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Wow, I am so sick of hearing about Scottsdale and the like. To me it's ridiculous. I live here and never notice any of the pretentiousness mentioned in threads. Egads, you'll never find someone more down to earth here than me. Even if I don't come across like it in these threads, it's the truth. I really think all of these negative posts about Scottsdale speak more to the insecurity of the posters than reality. Scottsdale is *really not* all that.

As to rudeness? Try sticking millions of people into a hell hole with nothing to do. All things considered, people are extremely gracious by these *reality based* standards.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:00 PM

4 posts, read 14,133 times
Spent 60's-80's in the AZ Sonoran desert. The only rudeness I encountered was from the 60+ age group. The "I have it and you don't, so I can drive/eat/live as I please" attitude floated around them like smog in february. Go to a department store and watch them get in front of you in line or stand at the top of an escalator and give you dirty looks when you run into them.. Eating at a resturant? Many of them what what they want NOW. I used to work at St Joes. Some of them were great but I got tired of the demands, the "I'm special in Michigan so I have to be special here" attitude and their sheer lack of knowledge and concern about 'Right Turn on Red" and "Center Turn lanes" driving laws made it very difficult to work in the hospital between November and April. I treated all of my patients the same. I don't care if they owned a business in PA, they are going to get the same treatment as a farmer who was born and raised in AZ whether they liked it or not.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:14 PM

385 posts, read 1,260,988 times
I used to appreciate the non-snowbird months in Phoenix. Better service, prices, specials....There is a good amount of friendliness in Phoenix--upper medium. So many people, and it only takes a few bad apples--just like driving.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
After moving here after a lifetime in Southern California I immediately noticed that people aren't as friendly here. In So Cal I actually knew my neighbors. People talk to each other in the line at the supermarket there. Drivers "let you in". And I should note that my heighborhood turned into a mostly hispanic/working class area. Hispanics talked to whites talked to Samoans. I moved to an up-scale very white area here in the NE Valley. I've known exactly one neighbor on a more than "Hi there" basis.

I've mentioned this to native AZ'ers and they all say, "Yeah, I've heard everyone talks to each other in Southern California". Like it's a foreign planet.

That said... rude? No. Hostile? No.

BTW: I wouldn't move back!

Old 06-02-2009, 02:39 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
After moving here after a lifetime in Southern California I immediately noticed that people aren't as friendly here. In So Cal I actually knew my neighbors. People talk to each other in the line at the supermarket there. Drivers "let you in". And I should note that my heighborhood turned into a mostly hispanic/working class area. Hispanics talked to whites talked to Samoans. I moved to an up-scale very white area here in the NE Valley. I've known exactly one neighbor on a more than "Hi there" basis.

I've mentioned this to native AZ'ers and they all say, "Yeah, I've heard everyone talks to each other in Southern California". Like it's a foreign planet.

That said... rude? No. Hostile? No.

BTW: I wouldn't move back!
I lived in So. Cal. for many years, graduated from USC and it was all very fake. The epitome of fake. People would be nice, but were the biggest flakes I've ever encountered in L.A. I think in Phoenix, just the sheer number of new comers in the suburbs and fringes make it feel "cold" and awkward when trying to get to know a neighbor. However, older and more central neighborhoods are so much different. There are more natives and people in the central cities that are from other cities where interaction is common...Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Syracuse, Chicago, etc. etc.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:01 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I lived in So. Cal. for many years, graduated from USC and it was all very fake. The epitome of fake. People would be nice, but were the biggest flakes I've ever encountered in L.A. I think in Phoenix, just the sheer number of new comers in the suburbs and fringes make it feel "cold" and awkward when trying to get to know a neighbor. However, older and more central neighborhoods are so much different. There are more natives and people in the central cities that are from other cities where interaction is common...Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Syracuse, Chicago, etc. etc.
I went to USC in the 50's and the area around it was OK, people were friendly, no crime. Now I can see that you trust no one in that area of Los Angeles, the big fence they put around the campus really shocked me.

After 9/11 I noted that everyone was really friendly here in Phoenix but that has worn off of course. There is so much crime and begging going on here I'm sure many people just can't be too friendly anymore because they are afraid too.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:09 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I went to USC in the 50's and the area around it was OK, people were friendly, no crime. Now I can see that you trust no one in that area of Los Angeles, the big fence they put around the campus really shocked me.

After 9/11 I noted that everyone was really friendly here in Phoenix but that has worn off of course. There is so much crime and begging going on here I'm sure many people just can't be too friendly anymore because they are afraid too.
I lived on Campus for a year and a half then moved to the west side of L.A. Lived in Santa Monica, Westwood, etc.

HUH? 9/11??? Not understanding. I know that was in "issue" in New York; where people talked about the city's residents being unusually kind, generous, and helpful...but haven't heard that about any other city. The crime in Phoenix is actually low for metro areas, having dropped nearly 30% for violent crimes and property crimes. The big thing in Phoenix was that in 2006 we were the number one city for auto thefts. In 2.5 years we are now the number 19th city for auto thefts.

A huge drop in this crime because of better enforcement and the general public is aware or "stupid" things that make a car a target. Where is there a lot of begging in Phoenix? I see it every day but at a MUCH, MUCH smaller frequency compared to any other city I lived in or visited, especially NYC, L.A., Seattle, Chicago, San Fran, Atlanta, Washington, D.C., Detroit, St. Louis, Birmingham, Buffalo, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, Portland, Denver, Dallas, Houston, well you get the idea.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 06-02-2009 at 03:18 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 03:36 PM

837 posts, read 2,335,110 times
The only rude people I've encountered are those who don't speak english, and aparently don't speak "smile" either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area