Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:17 PM

54 posts, read 188,090 times

Advertisements

Im from Europe and Im going to the valley in the summer. Ive been searching for shopping in downtown Phoenix..but all I can find is Arizona Center, which actually seems to be rather small with quite few stores...

Moderator cut: snip Is there some more shopping one can do in downtown Phoenix? I know downtown isnt very good for shopping but come on!! There has to exist some good place to shop there!

Which streets are the "shopping streets" in downtown?

Last edited by Kimballette; 12-02-2011 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 04:31 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track and field lover View Post
Im from Europe and Im going to the valley in the summer. Ive been searching for shopping in downtown Phoenix..but all I can find is Arizona Center, which actually seems to be rather small with quite few stores...

Moderator cut: snip Is there some more shopping one can do in downtown Phoenix? I know downtown isnt very good for shopping but come on!! There has to exist some good place to shop there!

Which streets are the "shopping streets" in downtown?
I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. There isn't really a "shopping street," but there are some good spots scattered about. There are some boutiques (and an Urban Outfitters) at CityScape - nothing to write home about. Near 7th and Roosevelt you'll find:

MADE Art Boutique
Butter Toast
GrowOp

There's probably a couple others I'm forgetting. A lot of good stuff is scattered around town, here.

Last edited by Kimballette; 12-02-2011 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted post

Old 12-02-2011, 04:31 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,940,499 times
Hat are you looking for? Anything specific?

Aside from Arizona Center the only other place available is CityScape but they also have a prett limited selection...an Urban Outiftters, Charming Charlie's and a couple small boutiques.

You're closest bet for good shopping is at Biltmore Fashion Park at 24th St & Camelback, about 7 miles away.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:55 PM

I'm particularly looking for clothes in general like shoes, jeans, shirts etc. Aren't there like a footlocker or athletes foot in downtown Phoenix? I like designer jeans like diesel, levys, polo sport etc.

I'm also looking for the usual tourist stuff-maybe like a shirt with two skeletons on it saying "it's a dry heat, dont worry about it"

I think I'll be staying close to Old Town in Scottsdale but still I wanna visit downtown Phoenix, they have to have some stuff that you can buy! no?

Old 12-02-2011, 05:06 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track and field lover View Post
I'm particularly looking for clothes in general like shoes, jeans, shirts etc. Aren't there like a footlocker or athletes foot in downtown Phoenix? I like designer jeans like diesel, levys, polo sport etc.

I'm also looking for the usual tourist stuff-maybe like a shirt with two skeletons on it saying "it's a dry heat, dont worry about it"

I think I'll be staying close to Old Town in Scottsdale but still I wanna visit downtown Phoenix, they have to have some stuff that you can buy! no?
A lot more options in/near Old Town. Downtown Phoenix has some cool vintage-type boutiques, but not a whole lot else.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:31 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
I know what you're trying to get at since most downtowns are historically decent for shopping and usually have a street famous for it (Michigan Ave in Chicago, 5th Ave in NY)....but, like many cities in the West, people just don't go downtown anymore to shop....Phoenix is very spread out and the typical malls scattered all over the valley are where we do it.....

since you say you're staying near downtown Scottsdale, I'd shop there, especially at Scotts Fashion Square which has all the typical mall-type stores and lots of upscale stuff, too....you'll be able to get the skeleton shirt somewhere there or at other shops along Main/5th Ave., etc. in downtown Scotts...may have to look a bit, tho.....

you can definitely visit downtown Phx and look around at what is there, but don't make shopping the primary reason to go there....there are other better things to do there....

Visit Downtown Phoenix AZ for Phoenix Nightlife, Restaurants, Shopping and More | DowntownPhoenix.com

Home : VisitPhoenix.com

Downtown Phoenix

Old 12-02-2011, 07:11 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
20th and Camelback is highly above average shopping. Closest TJs to Downtown. All kinds of chain stores. Most would prefer these outdoor style shopping centers, when the weather is good. 5 miles east puts you at a large indoor mall.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:26 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,951 times
Phoenix is an urban sprawl city. All the department stores and shops moved out of downtown in the 60's when shopping malls sprung up everywhere. It is the type of metro area where suburban living is dominant due to the over excessive development of land, and abandonment of established neighborhoods.

Downtown is trying to become more "cosmopolitan" but will never attract major shopping as in older established cities such as San Francisco, Minneapolis, or Seattle for example.

That being said,people who like a cosmopolitan vibe shop at Scottsdale Fashion Square, next Biltmore, and the Camelback Colonnade at 18th st and Camelback has off price stores . The Marshalls at Colonnade is the top store in the Valley, and sells quite a few designer items that their other locations don't carry such as 7 for All Mankind Jeans etc. Chris Town Mall at 15th-19th Ave and Bethany Home has your big box stores such as a HUGE Super Wal-Mart, Super Target, Costco, Penney's and an inside mall with shops such as Foot Locker. This mall when it opened along with Park Central were the demise of downtown. If you want a simpler shopping experience, this isn't too far from the center of town, and the light rail will take you from downtown right to the front of Super Target.

These are centrally located shopping areas, and downtown just hasn't had any shopping in over 40 years.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:06 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,672 times
I see lots of foreign tourists at Nordstrom's Last Chance at 20th Street and camelback--lots of good stuff for cheap
Shopping Nordstrom's Last Chance comes down to strategy, politics and luck

Old 12-04-2011, 12:15 PM

Thanks for good tips!

The malls that I basically plan to visit are Scottsdale Fashion Square, Arizona Mills, Chandler Fashion Center, Fiesta Mall (maybe, I've heard that the mall is running downhill) Arizona Center (ok, it's probably not a mall but apparently the best downtown Phoenix has to offer) and maybe some of the malls in North Scottsdale and the ones suggested here!

Are there any other mall that is worth a visit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area