Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:35 PM

26 posts, read 91,596 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about relocating to Phoenix in the near future and would like to know what the city is like. I have heard so many different thinks about Phoenix and they were all bad especially about the gang problem. Where I live in California, there is no jobs and the state is too expensive to live in. I know all about the heat, and did live in Bullhead City for a while. Any and all information regarding Phoenix or any surrounding cities/towns would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 04:05 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
So long as one is careful and does research on where they live, the "gang problem" is overblown by people who don't live here. The job situation here is probably no better, or worse, than where you are now. The cost of living may be less than where you are now, or not.

Why Phoenix?

In any event, there are tons of threads on this very topic.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:49 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,455 times
Umm, I shouldn't point out the obvious but California certainly has more than it's share of gangs. In many cases far more of a problem than anything here in Phoenix.
I moved here last June and I haven't seen any sign of gang activity anywhere. I'm sure it's around, I just haven't noticed it.
I grew up in California and there were gangs everywhere. I feel far safer here than there.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:00 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,332 times
I've been here 19 years and I've never even heard of any gang problems.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:12 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,455 times
One other thing...I was surprised to see virtually zero graffiti anywhere. Not on the freeways, the overpasses, train bridges or the sides of buildings. I'm sure it's there but I haven't seen any whatsoever.
When I lived in California years ago, it was all over the place. It was just part of life there.
Perhaps they paint over it here or something. If that's the case, it sure makes a huge positive difference in the aesthetics of this area.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:38 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhawke777 View Post
I have heard so many different thinks about Phoenix and they were all bad especially about the gang problem.
what you've heard is "all bad"??....so do you really believe everything you hear?....

take a look at all the threads here in the Phx subforum....lots of discussion on what you want to know.....

if you don't deal in drugs, people smuggling, or any illegal act, you won't encounter gangs....be a good person, smile, use common sense, be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine (but you do that already.....don't you?)

Old 01-12-2012, 11:27 PM

464 posts, read 832,593 times
Default Just wait, OP, the comments...

...will start rolling in soon...the good, the bad and the ugly, for each person's outlook will vary based on how and where they live. My husband is a native Californian so don't even get us started on all the things we do not like there.

We moved to Fountain Hills (30 min. NE of downtown Phoenix) a yr. ago this month and love it here. We are currently shopping for a larger home since Dad is moving in with us but are staying in FH after much searching simply because we like it...the friendly and courteous people, the views and peacefulness, and the small town feel with major shopping just 20 min. 'next door' in Scottsdale.

The cd people are very good with filling you in on the neighborhoods....let us know where you are considering and they can narrow down specifics on specific areas. Good luck!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:55 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhawke777 View Post
I'm thinking about relocating to Phoenix in the near future and would like to know what the city is like. I have heard so many different thinks about Phoenix and they were all bad especially about the gang problem. Any and all information regarding Phoenix or any surrounding cities/towns would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Your advisers (from California, at that) are remarkably misinformed. Read the countless threads here that address your questions using the advanced search feature at the top of each page. Happy researching!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:55 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,332 times
Quote:
I'm thinking about relocating to Phoenix in the near future and would like to know what the city is like. I have heard so many different thinks about Phoenix and they were all bad
Why would you consider moving here if everything you've heard is bad?

Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,452 times
I moved to Phoenix 2 months ago, and am still getting aclimated, but my experience so far has not been great. Secure a job before you move, as I way underestimated the ability to get a job in a resonable amount of time. I put in and interviewed for so many jobs that I could normally secure in a week or two, and never got a call back. I have finally got a job, but I feel like I just lucked into it, but am happy to have it.
About the weather, Um let's just say its horrible. All you hear is how "it's a dry heat" and that's just stupid. It's freakin' hot! And as far as the people I've encountered so far - not friendly. I'm from Oklahoma, lived in Portland, OR for a year after that, back to Oklahoma for 6 years and then here, and I'll tell you, I thought I accidentally moved to NYC, because these folks don't want to mess with you. I live in what I consider to be an upscale neighborhood (Moon Valley Canyon) at Look Out Mountain, and these are some stuck up folks. I read alot of forums before moving here, and there was alot of talk about people in Scottsdale being snobby, but its not just Scottsdale. I almost moved back to Oregon, but thought I'd try somewhere new - regretting that decision. After getting settled on my new job, I will definitly being putting in for a transfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area