Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We paid the $3,000 when we bought this little box in Sun City. It seemed high until I started to use the facilities and they are very well maintained here. The gym is awesome as are the pools and the club facilities. I think they should lower it considering how sluggish the economy is but people still seem to trickle in here. I would imagine that the HOA fees would skyrocket if they did get rid of this fee.
The main problem with the $3000.00 PIF fee is that it is not a fair assessment. Only new buyers pay for it, but they were run down or their need to repair was caused by the wear and tear of the residents before the PIF was instituted. Every homeowner in SC should be assessed a PIF fee equally for using those facilities not just the newbies. And the funny (or sad) part is that only about 20% of the residents use these facilities. It seems that this should be a pay as you use it system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
The main problem with the $3000.00 PIF fee is that it is not a fair assessment. Only new buyers pay for it, but they were run down or their need to repair was caused by the wear and tear of the residents before the PIF was instituted. Every homeowner in SC should be assessed a PIF fee equally for using those facilities not just the newbies. And the funny (or sad) part is that only about 20% of the residents use these facilities. It seems that this should be a pay as you use it system.
I was a big hit I agree. We do have the optional $40 rec fee we pay as well but at least it is optional. The HOA fees are $15 a year I believe. The gym is always packed so it does get good use.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 16,135 times
No gym, no facilities, no pool....just one tot lot. On top of $119/mo....for a jungle gym. And it's not to sustain the building phase. It doesn't kick in until the homes begin reselling.

And the other community we were purchasing in where we initially saw this, they had been established for awhile and had just implemented it so it didn't pass the fair test either. Only new owners are paying it.

It is tough to find a community without an HOA in Phoenix. We are bummed and wish we had the resources to challenge this crap.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:17 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,665 times
Well, you could shoot of an email to the AZ Republic and it least it would get some public play...

Old 02-06-2012, 12:29 PM

267 posts, read 693,030 times
Now I'm really glad to have bought an in-fill home that was built in 2000 and no HOA in sight. Some HOAs can be sensible and are not so expensive or onerous, but others... well, to each his or her own.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:35 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf7279 View Post
No gym, no facilities, no pool....just one tot lot. On top of $119/mo....for a jungle gym. And it's not to sustain the building phase. It doesn't kick in until the homes begin reselling.

And the other community we were purchasing in where we initially saw this, they had been established for awhile and had just implemented it so it didn't pass the fair test either. Only new owners are paying it.

It is tough to find a community without an HOA in Phoenix. We are bummed and wish we had the resources to challenge this crap.
It's not that hard to find areas without HOAs, it's hard to find *new* areas without hoas in Phoenix.

Bottom line, the HOA fees never go down, and they never go away - so if they bother you, pick an older home - fix it up your way, and enjoy the bigger lot and the occasional "hillbilly" neighbor...

and - for the record, I live in a non-hoa area.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:39 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,332 times
I think the cities have required HOA's for a while, so you have to search older homes to find non-HOA. I'm just guessing you'd have to go early 90s and older for non-HOA in Mesa, at least.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:43 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I think the cities have required HOA's for a while, so you have to search older homes to find non-HOA. I'm just guessing you'd have to go early 90s and older for non-HOA in Mesa, at least.
probably back to 1985~ish in Phoenix, just guessing as well, based on what I've seen.

However there are a few neighborhoods where the HOA's have went "defunct" - like my current neighborhood. As long as there isn't any "community" property, like a clubhouse, it's a "win-win".

You still have deed restrictions, which any owner can enforce against the others, but with most lawyers charging a minimum of $10k to start that kind of suit, you would have to really *really* get them mad to see that.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:31 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I would be surprised to learn that they are required, I simply think they are preferred by builders. I could be wrong, though.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:44 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I would be surprised to learn that they are required, I simply think they are preferred by builders. I could be wrong, though.
Some, not all, municipalites in order to get a to build permit require the developer to establish an HOA and then turn it over to the homeowner members after the devlopment is completed.

Here is some helpful information on HOA's: Homeowner association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area