Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I'm sure the police departments have certain definitions of home invasions versus home burglaries.

But I consider any intrusion on a person's property, be it burglarly, trespassing, attempted break-in, or outright assault-murder to be an invasion.
Usually, home invasion refers to someone purposely entering your home while you're home. That's not common. Most burglars just want to 'smash and grab' your property, and encounter no one. They're far more likely to get away with it and far less likely to get shot in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 11:56 AM

800 posts, read 1,911,466 times
"Another example of how Chandler gets a bad name, bad press, and visitors think its a city full of gangs. This kind of media blow up is wrong."

It doesn't feel any different if the news story happened in one of the worst parts of Phoenix, Glendale, Avondale etc. and you live in the nicer parts of those cities.Crime happens everywhere. Even Chandler.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:46 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Home invasions are commonplace, middle-class areas are prime target. What prompts you to believe they are rare?
Complete nonsense.

Home invasions aren't common at all that is why the make the news. The overwhelming majority of them are criminals targeting criminals, it is just too much a high risk / low reward crime otherwise. The targets are usually houses that others know have lots of cash like people involved in the drug trade, prostitution, stolen property, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
This doesn't appear to be a random home invasion, more like a drug-related crime. "Police said they don't believe the shooting was random."
No surprise.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:13 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
This is a very tragic and unfortunate event and Chandler certainly has its bad areas. However, I'm not concerned about how the city is viewed. Chandler's billion dollar Intel plant has made national headlines and a trip by the President of the United States. In addition, ASU is creating a College of Innovation and Technology in downtown Chandler. In addition, the University of Arizona announced that it would offer science- and technology-based programs at the city's Community Center this spring. So there was also positive news about Chandler this very same week.

Tech partnership good for Chandler, universities

Home invasions are rare particularly in upscale communities. As slackjaw said earlier, this is the reason they make headlines. The risk/reward is not favorable particularly in nice communities in which people can afford security systems, the police are generally more responsive and aggressive about pursuing perpetrators(may not be fair but it's a reality), the neighbors are typically more vigilent and responsive to notifying law enforcement and the victims have the means to prosecute criminals to the fullest extent of the law. Criminals are aware of this hence the reason they focus on easier targets. The same principle applies to stolen vehicles.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 02-09-2012 at 11:30 PM..

Old 02-10-2012, 09:23 AM

568 posts, read 1,206,499 times
Someone already mentioned getting security doors; I want to second that recommendation, even though I lived in Chandler for about 5 years (prior to moving to Central Phoenix) and always felt like it was super-safe, particularly in the laid-back residential areas.

However, since I got my steel 2 security doors installed(back and front of house), I have to say it does give me a bit more peace of mind. The thing I like about mine is that they are key-dependent on both sides, so burglars won't be able to simply cut the screen and unlock it...and it's all surrounding by very thick/dense steel. I can't imagine someone cutting through it or being able to jimmy it the same way one could with wood. And I think kicking it in is going to be a problem, too. I'm not sure if there are different qualities of security doors out there, but the ones I got seem to be pretty darn sturdy...but unfortunately, not cheap! Not sure if the big-box store kind are as sturdy or impenetrable...I had to go through a company that specializes in doors because of the way my frame was positioned etc. I also had a couple of window guards installed but I don't like them because to me they just look ugly, but then again I'm someone who's been burglarized twice in 2 years, with another attempted burglary on top of that...so, priorities! Just my 2 cents...

Old 02-10-2012, 10:44 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,332 times
Xica- Make sure you've got the keys to the doors somewhere easily accessible from indoors in case of fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area