Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 PM

3 posts, read 24,083 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are moving June 1st from SoCal to the Phoenix area. We're still searching, so we don't have an exact city yet.

We are moving from an apartment to a house and we are planning to purchase a deep freezer. I've been told by friends(they don't live in AZ, Just giving their opinions) that keeping the deep freezer in the garage is not a good idea because of the heat.

We were wondering if there was anyone here, that owns a deep freezer. Where do you keep it? And, is the garage really a bad idea for it to go?

Also, what brand/size do you have or suggest? We are a family of 4, soon to be 5. We want to start saving more money by freezing bulks of food and doing 'once a month cooking'.

If anyone has any ideas, we would love to hear them.

Thanks!! :-)

Sarah & Jeff B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 10:42 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,216 times
Garages are typically not insulated very well and can get pretty warm. Since warm is contrary to freezer (which is also not typically insulated too well); storing a freezer in the garage is generally not a good idea however, if your garage has a north-south orientation and the placement wall is not on the southern exposure; no reason why it shouldn't work (although it may cut down on your compressor life or raise your electricity bill significantly). Lots of places to buy freezers: our last one came from Sears; Home Depot before that - ours are located inside - in fact, the chest freezer is right next to the upright freezer!!

Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,758 times
In the late 90s I called SRP and asked about how much it cost to run a frig outdoors. If I recall right, they estimated around $30/month. I imagine a freezer would cost more. And those rates are also much higher now.

If you want to save money on food, I think there are many ways. Dried foods like rice and beans and pasta are very cheap and shelf stable. A trip to Costco twice a month shouldn't overload a normal frig/freezer combo. But if you decide a second freezer is needed, maybe a locking chest freezer tucked into a corner of the house somewhere. Put a tablecloth on it.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:01 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,959 times
we keep ours in the laundry room for this reason. our garage doesn't get too hot, but i didn't want to mess with it.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
I would get one that would fit in the house as well. And remember, frozen food doesn't last for months, even in a good freezer. I wouldn't overdo the idea of stocking up on frozen-- unless you are buying a side of beef or something, you can fit a lot into the freezer side of a good-sized side by side.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:10 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
Definitely don't put it in the garage- even with n/s orientation, your garage will be over 100 degrees all summer. Builders don't insulate garages here.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 24,083 times
Thank you everyone!!! I'm so glad I posted on here about this, cause I would hate to either waste a bunch of food that went bad cause of the heat, break the freezer cause of it working so hard to stay cold or racking up a high bill because of the heat.

We will just find a spot for it in the house. I like the tablecloth idea, thank you!

Old 02-21-2012, 01:58 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
I'm going to disagree a little, SoCal2AZ . . .

Although I'm in Tucson (a little cooler but not major), I've had a Kenmore 14 Cubic Foot Chest Freezer in my garage for 13 plus years now . . . no problems. When I purchased it, I was strongly advised to stick with a chest type freezer, not an upright, because of the garage placement. Also, non auto defrost was recommended.

Possibly it runs a little more in the Summer months but probably runs lots less in the Winter months so it could be a wash. When this one croaks, I'll definitely replace it with a similar make and model.

Good Luck

Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,464 times
I keep mine in the kitchen,it is nice to be able to quickly move things from the fridge freezer to the deep freezer and visa versa

Old 02-22-2012, 07:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
I have 2 chest freezers in the garage, one from Costco and one commercial NSF unit.
We've had the Costco one for many years now and it's always been in a garage, first up in Montana where the inside of the garage went from -20 to +90 yearly. Now here in AZ they're still in the garage and working fine (crossed fingers). Properly packaged frozen foods will last for months and we also store 30-70 gallons of ice cream at any given time for our business.
Do they run more in the summer? Of course. We have a north/south house and they're on the back wall closest to the interior so never get sun exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area