Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 9,440 times

Advertisements

I have two kids: 2nd grade and Kinder for the fall. My 2nd grader has been in 4 schools in the past 2 years on the northwest side. We are looking to switch districts, also this commute will be closer for dh and work.

We got into Kyrene Sierra on open enrollment for the fall. *However* in driving around the area, to me it seems a little rundown. I was afraid to get out of my car at 40th and Chandler Blvd. to go into the grocery store. There was a homeless man on a bike in the parking lot, it just looked a little dicey. I've read numerous past posts on the Ahwatukee area and I'm really hesitant. The neighborhoods looked "tired" a little older, and unkempt. Was I just in the wrong areas? I keep reading how it's upscale there. Mcmansions aside, what am I missing? I'm concerned too about living in a smaller home there on a smaller lot (due to rental prices - of course we'll rent so we arent' in our current situation again), but if parental involvement is strong with a strong sense of community, then I'll try to stomach it.

So then I started checking again into Chandler around Santan Elementary. Sierra and Santan have similar statistics such as poverty rate, test scores. Sierra ranks #6 and Santan #20ish in the state, not a huge enough difference to be concerned I'd be at a "lesser" school. Although considering what we've been through in the past 2 years with elementaries, I'm willing to throw academics out the window in favor of a more well-behaved student body, with proactive, involved parents. I really need to make a concerted effort with my ds' next school so that I don't keep moving him around. Or is it that the more involved parents send their kids to charters there?

I obviously haven't spent much time in either area (we live an hour away) and am wondering if anyone has any recent input on the two areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 01:48 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
You were afraid to get out of the car at 40th and Chandler Blvd to go into Safeway? Uh, no. You were not in any danger. That isn't Ahwatukee proper, it is a newer area than the old part of Ahwatukee, but it is still older than all the stuff that went in during the housing boom. Newer isn't necessarily better.

I can't say what you are missing, as I honestly can't picture what you saw. The Kyrene district has very good schools, with involved parents. I should think you will find a home in that area that you will not have to "stomach". However, if you are concerned about a man on a bicycle in a grocery store parking lot whom you decided was homeless (and therefore assumed was dangerous) there may not be any neighborhood that feels safe enough to you. But, if you think the neighborhoods around the Chandler schools are more to your liking, the schools there are generally good as well.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:24 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneykidlets View Post
*However* in driving around the area, to me it seems a little rundown. I was afraid to get out of my car at 40th and Chandler Blvd. to go into the grocery store. There was a homeless man on a bike in the parking lot, it just looked a little dicey.
I guess it depends on your definition of "rundown," but what?

Old 03-04-2012, 05:35 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
I've been in that area quite a bit and I don't find it run down at all. I go to Trader Joe's quite often and I have never felt scared to exit my vehicle and I have never seen any homeless people either. The only homeless person I have ever seen is a man that seems to hang out on the corner of Chandler Blvd and I think 56th. He sits there are reads.

If you find this area seedy then I don't think you will like anywhere.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:12 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,818 times
WoW where in the valley do you live that you think 40th St/Chandler Blvd is rundown. You need to venture out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area