Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,224 times

Advertisements

We are sick of western Washington rain. Lucky to get two months a YEAR of some sun and summer, no joke! Need info on moving to Phoenix area.

What is the best Phoenix suburb? Scottsdale, etc?
How is traffic in Phoenix and surrounding areas?
How is the crime rate in the same above mentioned?
Politics? Majority Democrat/Republican?
Extreme weather conditions, besides the heat? (Tornado, etc)
Do the majority of people seem friendly?
Need all the information we can get, don't be afraid to let loose!
Your input on ANYTHING is much appreciated!
I currently own a salon locally, what is your favorite salon/spa?
Husband is commercial plumber. Many jobs around area?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 07:28 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,644,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfRain View Post
We are sick of western Washington rain. Lucky to get two months a YEAR of some sun and summer, no joke! Need info on moving to Phoenix area.
Quote:
Compared to Washington and Oregon, it's summer all year long here.
As a recent transplant from the Pacific Northwest I can tell you that there is a little adjusting. Give all but your favorite coats to the Goodwill. Sell most of your heavy boots. Burn most of your long pants and bring your sunglasses.
I moved from Oregon last June and I couldn't be happier. I loved my first summer here. I was at the pool, at the lakes or relaxing poolside most of the time.
If you know what to expect and how to deal with the heat, then you'll love it here but if you focus solely on how hot it gets, then you'll be a short timer.
Personally, I expected the heat to be much worse than it actually was. I was told by many folks on here that it's literally hell on earth during the summer but I found the heat to be much, MUCH easier to deal with than all the rain and cold of the Northwest.
It may get sizzling hot during the day but the mornings and evenings were heavenly and when it was hot, it's so dry that it doesn't feel as hot as the thermometer says it is. It is hot. I'm not going to glaze over that fact but everything and everywhere you go is air conditioned so you don't usually get hot unless you're in the direct sun.
Anyway, the heat was fine. Hot? Yes. Unbearable? Not in the least and other than the heat, Arizona typically doesn't have tornadoes, earthquakes or any of the other stuff that other areas of the U.S. has.

There are lots of nice burbs around here. Scottsdale is probably the most expensive and it's a great area but there are lots of other areas that are as nice if not nicer than Scottsdale. It just depends what you like.
I ended up getting a very nice home in east Mesa and I love it. You'll just need to find the right city that fits your needs and budget.

People on this forum will tell you that traffic is horrible. Don't buy into it. The traffic here is far better than Seattle or Portland and the roads are extremely well taken care of. You'll be pleasantly surprised I'm sure.

Scottsdale will have a low crime rate. It's a very wealthy burb but there are edgy areas in most any town in America. Some worse than others but they are pretty easy to identify.

Not much into politics but our Governor and Sheriff are, if nothing else, very entertaining.

No tornadoes, earthquakes, etc. but we do have "habboobs" once in a while. Google it.

Again, a lot of people on this forum will tell you people are rude around here but I have found just the opposite. Everyone has been extremely friendly and helpful that I have met other than one guy in a local grocery store. Not bad for living here 10 months now.

Thanks!

I can't say much about spas and such but I am a contractor so I can tell you that work for a contractor is a little tough right now but things are starting to pick up around here.
You'll find the cost of living around here is less than the Seattle area. Housing is much less expensive, taxes aren't bad although there is a fairly high sales tax. Almost 10% depending on what city you're in.
One thing you'll like. Produce is cheap here compared to up north. Gas is a little cheaper. Milk is cheaper but cheese is outrageous. Go figure.
Anyway, I like it here. I've been very happy with my choice of places to move to.
I too, like you, grew very tired of the constant gloom in the Northwest. Not only do I like it here, I find myself smiling and laughing far more than I did up there. The sun makes me happy.
If you would like more info or perhaps some pictures of the area, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send some right out to you.
Good luck and we'll see ya here.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:29 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
Quote:

Thanks!
1. I would proably say Chandler and Gilbert. Gilbert is cheaper, while Chandler is more centrally-located.
2. Traffic in central Phoenix can get a bit heavy, but out in the suburbs it isn't that bad.
3. Depends on where you want to go. Gilbert is rather low.
4. Except for Tempe and some parts of the city of Phoenix, most of the Valley is Republican.
5. Not too much extreme weather other than the heat and summer monsoons.
6. Overall, people do seem friendly at least where I live.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,693,098 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Everyone has their likes/dislikes about where they live. I enjoy my home in Scottsdale but would highly recommend other areas as well depending on where exactly you're working/kids/activities/etc. Fountain Hills is probably one of my favorite areas of the Valley simply because everything is so beautiful and more unspoiled than the major cities. Scottsdale is a wonderful place to live, a bit more expensive than some other places but I love the area. Gilbert and Chandler are both excellent cities to buy into, both offer excellent value for the dollar and consist of upper-income families.

Traffic isn't bad most of the time, rush hour isn't ever fun but that goes for everywhere. People seem to work earlier in Phoenix and get off sooner than many other parts of the country. Morning rush hour can start right around 6:30 a.m. and ends around 8:30 a.m. while evening rush hour starts around 3:30 p.m. and ends around 5:30 p.m. But all of our roads are in excellent condition so it makes driving somewhat more pleasant without avoiding potholes and the like.

Crime rates are relatively low in Scottsdale, Gilbert, Chandler, and Fountain Hills. Most of the crime is property related, no heavy gang influences in those areas to mention. Once you get towards Mesa/Apache Junction or towards Glendale, things can be a bit more crime-ridden.

Republican state. I'm a Republican and I find Arizona to be a great place to live; most Democrats here are fairly conservative compared to Seattle/Portland area. We don't care much for ultra-liberals.

Haboobs and dust storms as well as monsoon season. Nothing that's going to tear down a house though...

I feel almost everyone here is friendly because Phoenix is full of people from other parts of the nation. Of course there are jerks in every major city but I'm from the Midwest and definitely see some of that Midwestern hospitality in the area.

Salon/Spa? Never been to one, don't plan on it. I go to a local barber and get a trim for $12.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:24 PM

112 posts, read 292,682 times
Interesting. I have two friends who moved from Phoenix (one was a native) to Seattle to work for Microsoft. Both families said that they would never move back. The heat in the middle of the summer is very hot (you probably already know that). If you like dry, brown, and flat areas you will be fine. Just remember that compared to Seattle, there is NO cultural here. Everything is a grid with rows and rows of houses in subdivisions and strip malls on every corner. I am not in any way trying to talk you out of it, I'm just saying that I find it a little odd that you would choose Phoenix. Do you have family here?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM

112 posts, read 292,682 times
I will answer your questions specifically now. I am a native so I know Phoenix VERY well.

Probably Scottsdale if you wanting it in any way to be similar to Seattle. If not, then most suburbs are the same. Houses and strip malls.

Better than Seattle.

You can find ghettos in every city. Heck, I live in a pretty safe suburb and some family's house was broken into last night, two streets down from me, and the guy tried to rob his house with four children sleeping at 4am. He was caught.

Lol - just google Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Only in the summer when it goes 3+ months of over 110 every single day.

No. People tend to stick to themselves, especially in the summer. Nobody leaves their home.

I do not have a favorite.

This really depends on how he works. Anybody can succeed here if they put their mind to it. Just make sure his truck has AC.

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,693,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyreinphx View Post
Interesting. I have two friends who moved from Phoenix (one was a native) to Seattle to work for Microsoft. Both families said that they would never move back. The heat in the middle of the summer is very hot (you probably already know that). If you like dry, brown, and flat areas you will be fine. Just remember that compared to Seattle, there is NO cultural here. Everything is a grid with rows and rows of houses in subdivisions and strip malls on every corner. I am not in any way trying to talk you out of it, I'm just saying that I find it a little odd that you would choose Phoenix. Do you have family here?
Heat is hot...spot on.

Dry, brown, flat...it's the desert...I assume the OP knows this. If not, they should probably retake 3rd grade geography.

No culture?! Exactly what do you want?!
Symphony? Check
Museums? Check
Art Galleries? Check
Native American History? Check
Opera? Check
Science Center? Check
Parks/Recreation? Check
Sports? Check

So exactly what CULTURE do you want? Obviously we both have different definitions of culture...

Grid? Ok, that's true. Phoenix is VERY easy to navigate because it's set-up on a grid system. Positive in my book.

Rows and Rows of houses? Not really, I guess some suburbs have that but the majority feature different styles of homes. We even have a historic district.

Strip malls on every corner? Oh please. Maybe Walgreens...but that's just for the retirees.

So would you like to re-evaluate your initial post?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,224 times
Thank you so much!! That was a lot of great info. Def interested in pics but new to forum and was not sure how to PM you?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,195 times

That depends entirely on you and your family's preferences. There are wonderful communities all over the Phoenix metro area. One person's "best" is not necessarily your "best."

There are countless threads in the forums addressing the same questions you have. Please check out the advanced search feature at the top of each page. Plug in the topic that interests you, check the Phoenix forum,, narrow it down by date if you'd like, and go. You'll be amazed at what's waiting for you.

In fact, here's an excerpt from the Terms of Service that gives you some tips:
Please use the Search this Forum tool to find info you need, as much has already been written about schools, jobs, weather, crime, prices, rentals, walkability and other aspects of a location. If you don't find it, please sign in and ask your questions. New users should use the Search this Forum tool before posting a question that may have already been answered. Let us know that you have searched the forums, so we don't assume otherwise.

When asking questions about a location, give as much detail as you can, so we can zero in on the info you need. If house hunting, what is your price level or rental amount. How many BR's, Baths, square feet, lot size, etc, do you need? Pets? SFH, TH, Condo, mobile home? In-town, rural, college town, military town, mountains? Schools for children? Gated community, golf course community, active senior community? Do you need to stable a horse? Is there an RV or boat trailer to consider? The more you tell us, the sooner our regular posters can reply with specificity. Same for any other criteria you have. Please avoid open-ended requests like "I'm moving to your city, tell me EVERYTHING I need to know."

Have you looked at the City-Data pages for Phoenix? Lots of good information in one spot --> http://www.city-data.com/city/Arizona.html

Welcome to Phoenix, and happy hunting for your new home!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 AM

16 posts, read 35,623 times
Im from Seattle as well and I'm looking at the possibility of moving out of area possibly within the next four years.... but who knows. Sick and tired of this weather yes! It's March and we still have flurries of snow. I feel that this is the right time to buy a second home considering prices around Phoenix and suburbs plus the attractive interest rates below 4 percent. My concerns are:

1. I wont be living in the house 365 days a year and are there any service companies that are reputable who can walk in, do maintenance, pool cleaning, etc?

2. What are the pluses and minuses of owning a pool? This might be a long subject I know and yes, I have read a few items via google but another horror/pleasant stories straight from the horses' mouth certainly wouldnt hurt.

3. I'll be making a trip soley for this purpose next month and maybe work with an agent. I was made to believe a buying frenzy on going and that competitive bidding is to be expected. What do you think is the best approach managing a purchase remotely other than occasionally making a trip to Phoenix? Any real estate companies that anyone can suggest who can work well with an out-of-state buyer?

Thanks in advance for all your inputs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area