Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:50 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times

Advertisements

Gotta agree with the 'something's wrong here' contingent.

Firstly, YOU don't KNOW if you are talking with the real Lee Miller or not.

Secondly, maybe Donna and Lee co-own the house. Getting divorced. She lists it, wants it sold, he goes in another direction just to be a pain in the neck. You don't want to get caught in the middle of that.

Thirdly, let me tell you a true story - actually happened in my own nice, executive style home community. A family rented a very nice house, signed a lease with the owner, moved in their furniture, and lived quite happily for about 6 months. Then, at the beginning of winter, there was a knock on the front door. The very angry and upset people at the door declared that they were the owners of the house, sunbirds returning for the season, and who the heck was living in their house, and why had they changed the keys?

Yelling was involved, cops were called, the legall owners told the "renters" they had to be out, along with their children and possessions in 24 hours.

They guy they signed the lease with - the "landlord/owner" of the house? He was a con man scammer who broke into the place, took some pictures, put a listing on craigslist, collected the security deposit and several months rent before the real owners showed up.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:26 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,920 times
If it were me, I would just come and stay at an extended hotel or with your family. That way you can see the honest listings in person.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:43 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,776,396 times
I just got off the phone with the listing agent of this home.
  • It is confirmed that this is a total scam.
  • DO NOT send any money to this scammer.
Perhaps you can report it to the FBI, or whatever other agency deals with these scammers. Maybe 20/20.

The listing agent has seen the for rent listing on Craigs List and has flagged it as a scam several times, but it keeps popping back up. He has also talked on the phone to that scammer (he was pretending to be a potential renter) and they told him they are missionaries.

The home is listed for sale and has been on the market for 6 days. It is definitely not for rent.

You are very fortunate that you posted your situation on this forum before you sent any money; and the posters before me were astute enough to tell you it was a scam; and TiredOfyycCold spent some research time getting the actual mls listing number so I was able to talk to the listing agent in person.

The rental market here is such that there is not that kind of bartering room. Homes usually are on the market for rent at the market value so landlords are not very flexible.

Good luck to you

Old 04-15-2012, 04:57 PM

Because of the scammers taking advantage of people like yourself, I suggest that you only deal with a real estate company that handles rentals or a property management company. That does not cost you anything.

The property management company may only find homes for you that they rent.

An agent will search for all homes for rent in that area for you.

One way you can do it is to go the mls search on my web site (my web site address is on my City-Data profile) Search for Residential Rentals in Cave Creek, or a zip code, etc. Find any house for rent. It will not give the listing agents contact information to you, but I will be happy to get it for you.

Just send me a DM with the mls number of one of the homes and I'll send you the contact information for that agent. That way you will have contact with an agent that handles rentals in that area. That will be a start for you.

Others can give you the names of property managers in your area of interest.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:22 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,132,150 times
It's too bad this con man and his prey are not local. It'd be awesome to set up a meet to hand over cash/keys and have the jerk arrested. I guess I watch too much tv.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:27 PM

6 posts, read 6,823 times
I have such a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. My husband and I are reliable people; we wanted the truth known about our past, as well as what we can afford now; it's about integrity. We do treat others' homes as if they were our own. I'm just sick.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB 1951 View Post
I have such a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. My husband and I are reliable people; we wanted the truth known about our past, as well as what we can afford now; it's about integrity. We do treat others' homes as if they were our own. I'm just sick.
You sound like such great people, and unfortunately there are people out there who make a living preying on nice trusting people.

You certainly did the right thing by posting your question on C-D and the fact that you found out before losing any money should make you feel better. Be proud that you were willing to ask the questions and get the answers before it was too late.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:46 PM

6 posts, read 6,823 times
I was so stunned that I didn't think outside my little box for a moment... Thank you everyone for your extended help. I cannot believe complete strangers would go out of their way to assist us. We appreciate it so much. We're not giving up; we are decent people and we know we are an asset to rent a place from and I cannot believe we won't find a good deal somewhere. We don't have credit card debt and never have. I've got medical bills but no frivolous debt, except for my car and those payments are always on time and they will be done sooner rather than later. My husband works very hard; he's a brilliant and talented man, and deserves much in life. We're down, but we're not out.

Now I'll go cry for awhile.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:12 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,132,150 times
If you didn't send him any money, don't cry... celebrate. You can rent a place out here for $900, I think. No need for the dream to end. Just hold off on the 2000SF until you've paid off that car.

(And any readers thinking of extending your home under-market to these nice people, remember they too are strangers on the 'net with a story. I guess I'm cynical but something still smells just slightly fishy to me.)

Old 04-15-2012, 10:16 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,059,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I guess I'm cynical but something still smells just slightly fishy to me.)
this whole thread has been a little too melodramatic....earlier, I couldn't tell if the original poster was the scammer or the scamee.....I hope all works out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area