Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:42 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
The lure is cheap land, cheap cost of labor, and tax incentives. It won't last forever... a boomtown is a boomtown. As soon as the costs of living, real estate, and resources catch up to the rest of the western U.S., employers will bolt for greener pastures, and leave the place an even more desolate, polluted mess than it is now. Real estate will crash, with it the economy, and it'll make the situation in Detroit look like a thriving, healthy environment by comparison. Glad I won't be there to experience it when it happens.
Brother... you're even more "optimistic" than I am... Well, I live in Tucson, though. It kinda dances to its own beat in many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 08:02 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Well one of the reasons is happening right at the moment. I have a weather station in my yard and noticed the dewpoint has fallen to 15 degrees in the past couple hours from 60. The monsoon remnants have been swept away. I went outside and WOW - its really nice out there even though it is still 90. Feels cooler than indoors. I had forgotten just how great that dry, dry air feels after the long and non-productive monsoon. 60s in the morning. It's heaven.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Well one of the reasons is happening right at the moment. I have a weather station in my yard and noticed the dewpoint has fallen to 15 degrees in the past couple hours from 60. The monsoon remnants have been swept away. I went outside and WOW - its really nice out there even though it is still 90. Feels cooler than indoors. I had forgotten just how great that dry, dry air feels after the long and non-productive monsoon. 60s in the morning. It's heaven.
June and July were not bad.......August was a humid son-of-a-gun and the first part of September was nasty as well-------still 1,000% better than dealing with snow and ice

Old 09-17-2007, 09:04 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
June and July were not bad.......August was a humid son-of-a-gun and the first part of September was nasty as well-------still 1,000% better than dealing with snow and ice
June & July were awful this year. August was even worse as far as heat. It was officially the hottest summer on record in Phoenix ... and to top it off, we set a new record of 32 days with 110 degres or more. That's the most number of 110 + days ever recorded in a single year. How anybody can say that this summer wasn't all that bad just blows my fried mind!

Why I live here, as anybody has guessed, is NOT for the climate ... although most of the autumns and springs are decent. I like winter if there's enough rain. I dislike continuous dry weather any time of year. As a native, I generally like the various landscapes of Arizona ... especially the high country.

Generally speaking, I like the politics of the state as well. We're not liberal like New Yoawk, Taxachusetts, or California, but we're also not overly conservative like the Bible Belt (deep South). The non union/right to work atmosphere is one very positive aspect about the state. This means that your services will be efficiently running most of the time without fear of a strike.

I also have my family, my career, and my house here. Arizona is my home. It's a place that I want to be proud of, and see it grow and progress positively.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:54 PM

58 posts, read 186,355 times
The job market. Where I was living before, it was sooo saturated. I said to heck with duking it out 12 rounds for jobs that weren't even trying to pay more than $12 an hour (on the high end).

I moved out here and that was all she wrote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoLucky View Post
interesting piece here:

Why I Live in Arizona

but yet...why do YOU live in Arizona?

Old 09-17-2007, 10:21 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native
..June & July were awful this year. August was even worse as far as heat. It was officially the hottest summer on record in Phoenix ... and to top it off, we set a new record of 32 days with 110 degres or more. That's the most number of 110 + days ever recorded in a single year. How anybody can say that this summer wasn't all that bad just blows my fried mind!

I have to say yes, 32 days of 110+ degrees can definitely get on our nerves, even though it was only 3 days more than the previous record, which I hope we never break again. But in some cases, as we get older, I think our tolerence to hot temperatures seem to diminish. When I was a teenager, I could stay outside and play baseball with other kids in 110 degree weather. I can't imagine doing that these days!

Old 09-18-2007, 09:04 AM

28 posts, read 135,970 times
I was raised here and Ive lived in a lot of different places . but the Desert keeps calling me home. I could list a million reasons but I will spare you.
To you people who complain about the "humidity" in August......try living in Houston, Oklahoma City, Dallas/Fort Worth or even Japan for a summer, then, you will know what humidity is REALLY like.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:04 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus jumper View Post
I was raised here and Ive lived in a lot of different places . but the Desert keeps calling me home. I could list a million reasons but I will spare you.
To you people who complain about the "humidity" in August......try living in Houston, Oklahoma City, Dallas/Fort Worth or even Japan for a summer, then, you will know what humidity is REALLY like.
I've been in Houston late in the summer and one time in October and I know what it's like. I've also been in Michigan and Ohio in June, the temperature was in the uppper 80's or low 90's, but the humidity was WAY up there and it felt worse than 110 degrees!

Old 09-18-2007, 01:52 PM

702 posts, read 3,152,496 times
Default Costs are about the same in the end...

I moved here from Wisconsin. Heating was the big bill there. Heating a house is peanuts here. Air conditioning is a big bill. My property taxes in Wisconsin were $3,000. Here they started at $1,000. BUT license plates at that time in WI were $25.00! I bought a motorhome here and the plates cost $3,000. In the end everything seems to be a wash.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:08 PM

6 posts, read 23,451 times
CactusJumper you are sooo right! You desert rats really have no idea about humidity until you've been to the south. I lived in Dallas for awhile which had its bad days, but I have spent the past two years in Houston, and let me tell you- Phoenix heat is nothing compared to the heat + humidity here. At least in Phoenix when you get out of the shower- you're not sweating ten minutes later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area