Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 03:41 PM

214 posts, read 401,967 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine has this same phobia and constantly is warning me about the snakes in the Phoenix area. Realize this is an unrealistic fear unless you like to drink heavily and wander through the creosote barefoot late at night in an unpopulated area. Both DH and I have some arthritis and we are hoping the dry weather will be extremely beneficial. Good luck with your move. It's too darn cold in Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 12:28 PM

363 posts, read 929,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I did see a roadrunner on Greenfield today.
Did it say: beep, beep?

Old 04-29-2012, 01:08 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
I saw 5 big fat rattlesnakes, one as big round as my arm......7 years ago and have not seen one since the development is pretty much done now. They move on to more quiet hunting grounds.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 AM

42 posts, read 161,989 times
Ahwatukee, and I saw a friend of mine with a snake in her bedroom last year, but her house was at the foot of mountains more or less. Other than that nothing to worry about

Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 AM

19 posts, read 22,283 times
We live in Gilbert and the only snakes we've seen have been at the zoo. I think Fountain Hills has a few snakes every year and if you are near the mountains or out in the desert.

As for scorpions-yes, we have found those in the house. Over the last 7 years, about 12 or so. They seem to have years with bigger populations. We haven't seen one in over 2 years now (knock on wood). At least scorpions don't strike. Mostly you hear about people accidentally stepping on one while barefoot.

The weather is so beautiful here in the winter!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
Snakes are all over the US. Rattlers too. Why people think there is extra need of caution or concern in AZ is beyond me.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:23 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Snakes are all over the US. Rattlers too. Why people think there is extra need of caution or concern in AZ is beyond me.
Yes. There are few snakes here compared to most places. There are relatively few of anything here with the exception of humans of which there are way, way too many.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:36 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsbee16 View Post
Hello Southwesterners!

My husband is a chronic pain sufferer. His Dr. has recommended that he move to a warm, dry climate. We are from Wisconsin. I am deathly afraid of snakes, and I really don't know if I could live somewhere knowing a snake could be right outside my door. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me really what it is like, and hopefully I am being ridiculous.

Thank you, I think!
Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsbee16 View Post
OK. That makes me feel better. Thanks to all. The scorpion thing, though. That could be scary.
I was born in Phoenix, and lived 30 years there. I have never once seen a snake outside my door or inside my house or apartment. I have never seen a feral snake whatsoever. Only once did I see a scorpion in the house, and that was out in far north Arrowhead (83rd and Deer Valley). I do not think you are being ridiculous as you have never been here, but at the same time since I have, I can tell you that your fears are a non issue.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:09 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Arizona is a wonderful place to go snake and lizard hunting with your camera! I'd love to visit there, or New Mexico or Texas, to do just that!

Old 04-30-2012, 07:42 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,232,965 times
Gotta agree with everyone. More snakes elsewhere than here. That said I've seen seen 1 snake in my backyard and 2 in my house in the last 10 years. None poisonous.

The only reason the 2 were in my house is 'cause my cat brought them in to show them off. Dropped 1 right on my bare feet! Better than some of his other gifts though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area