Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:06 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Yep, sablebaby . . . YA GOT THAT RIGHT.

Downright depressing! Two or three hours for a bumper to bumper bath and then it is dusty by the time I've showered and ready to go for a drive! ! ! ! !

Yellow, Red, Tan, Blue or Orange but . . . NEVER BLACK!
LOL!

However, for some people it's the ONLY color.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:39 AM

124 posts, read 413,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelko View Post
I am moving to Phoenix in a few weeks and was wondering how my black, cloth convertible top will fare in the relentless Arizona sun.

I was there a few months ago and didn’t notice too many so I was wondering if this was because the sun damages the top. Is a soft-top convertible a bad idea in Arizona?

Thanks.
I dont know to much about convertables but I do know that its not the best thing to have a black car or black cloth in AZ way to hot Your car will never cool down same goes with Leather in the summer you just stick to it and winter its to cold. Convertables are good here in winter thats when you usually see people driving with the tops down. Unless they are die hard Arizonians.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:29 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,790,420 times
We have a four year old American made car with a black 'drop-top' that spends 90% of it's life in direct sunlight. No signs of deterioration yet. I think it depends on how old your car is. Newer vehicles tend to hold up better than the older ones. Dashboards of cars from the 1980's and earlier didn't fair well in AZ. Not a problem anymore.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,576 times
how do you protect convertible from Arizona heat

Old 08-26-2015, 11:23 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
I have a Beetle convertible with a black cloth top. Honestly I think the worst enemy against them are automatic car washes. I take mine through an auto wash no more than twice a year and it still looks brand new. (my car is an 04, I use the self serve wash most of the time and avoid washing the top at all) A vinyl top would have a harder time in the sun and would need to be cared for accordingly.

I can also say that even though the top is black, it does an amazing job of keeping my car interior COOLER, believe it or not! It is triple insulated, presumably to keep out the cold, but it also insulates from the heat. Other than my seats being hot from direct sun (they are leather so they get toasty) my car interior is never too hot to get in after sitting in the sun. My car is noticeably cooler than others in the heat.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:47 AM

266 posts, read 281,528 times
Everyone should have a convertible. Having one usually cures the desire for another.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:18 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
There are plenty of convertible care products out there. Like the original thread posters said 8 years ago...covered parking...whether it be a car port or garage.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:55 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difficult Dave View Post
Everyone should have a convertible. Having one usually cures the desire for another.

My last car was a convertible. My current car is a convertible. My next car will be a convertible. And the one after that, and the one after that...see where I am going with this?

Old 08-26-2015, 01:47 PM

344 posts, read 813,087 times
Not a one discussing why there are few convertibles here. Not much to do with wear or tear.

My theory is that the city, being on the conservative side, doesn't appreciate anything quite so indulgent or flamboyant. Besides which, there's precious little appreciation for the sun here, as opposed to LA or NYC or many other locales.

I'll help reverse that when it's time to buy.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:51 PM

675 posts, read 1,415,027 times
nearly an 8 year bump... might be a record!

I never owned a convertible until about a year ago. Wasn't necessarily looking for one at the time but I'm glad I got it. You get plenty of time to enjoy it top down, and it is just fine temp wise with the top up in the summer heat. I do get to use a covered parking spot though which of course makes a huge difference in any car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: