Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 05:54 AM

209 posts, read 502,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
That being the case wouldn't it be better to have 3 large doors and one small? Just saying...
I wanted to 2 large doors but...it is what it is ya know! I wish it were 3 large doors!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 07:54 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,132,150 times
When you say "large doors" are you talking about the big RV-sized bays? Those are very popular.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
When you say "large doors" are you talking about the big RV-sized bays? Those are very popular.
All doors will be 8' high. So with that said it will be a regular garage door, double garage door and another regular garage door.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
One thought on the door thing, when we designed our 3 door I figured width of the doors can be an issue and either a resale plus or minus so I made 2 of the doors wide enough (and tall enough) to accept a 4wd F350 with the mirrors out and a full size SUV, the 3rd was sized for a compact car.
Not to be sexist, I don't think many women or young drivers would be very happy with having to "thread the needle" to park in the garage though your body shop and door company might just love you.
I also made sure we sized one of the garages to accept a crew cab truck so it didn't have to be left outside as most garages are not deep enough.
Most people who looked at the house really liked that idea.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:26 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I don't know why it'd raise property taxes. But you could be right. I think they just go off 'assessed value' and I don't think it'd matter much to that. It won't add in to livable square footage or anything.

It is still listed as sq. footage on the appraisal but it is a nominal expense.

As long as it don't kill the curb appeal (hey honey look a 4 car garage with a small house attached look) then go for it.

Tiger Wood's mom has a 6 car garage (with pull through doors) and she has 2 cars....

Old 05-23-2012, 08:43 AM

We are having all garages except one lengthened by an additional 4 feet. So with that said the total depth of the garage will be 24' deep. The 4th bay is only 20' deep and it will have a drive thru door and ALL doors including the drive thru door will be 8' high. We have a quad cab Ram and they are pretty wide thus the reason for the taller doors and deeper garage. I want to be able to walk around the Ram like I am able to do now.
I am awaiting on the drawings to make sure it don't have the "Look honey a 4 car garage with a house attached to it" look!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:30 AM

73 posts, read 269,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof2divas View Post
I am awaiting on the drawings to make sure it don't have the "Look honey a 4 car garage with a house attached to it" look!
That would be my main concern. In my dream house the garage would be accessed from the back or at least you'd drive around the front to get to it. Massive garages out front just really take away from the charm of a neighborhood.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,132,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
It is still listed as sq. footage on the appraisal but it is a nominal expense.
A garage shouldn't be listed in the livable square footage on an appraisal. It's in the sketch but the sketching software doesn't add in garages and covered patios and such to square footage. The square footage listed in tax records doesn't include it, either.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,776,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'd agree with those generalizations for a younger couple or a family with children. However, for an older, retired couple with children out of the house (or none at all), I think a lot of those generalizations would change dramatically. . .
I'm retired from my airline career, so officially I'm retired, although I love to keep my mind and body busy working, and continue to work on building my real estate business. But all of our children have been out of the house long ago.

Once the children are out, some retired people want to scale down. Others don't. It really depends on their interests. We have a lot of retired friends in our community. Some live in homes between 4000 and 5000 sf. Others live in a condo, or a 2000-3000 sf home. Those with the homes have hobbies or activities that require them to have extra space.

We have a 3400 ft home with a 3 car garage. This garage is oversized (9' and 18' doors) instead of the standard 8 and 16. We use 2 bays for cars and the third has storage for things that I use on occasion. I would still love to have a 4th bay.

Also, I would love to have a larger home so I could have a workout room, a music room to set up my drums, and another hobby room, in addition to my office and guest bedroom(s).

My neighbor is retired and he uses all of his 3 car bays for his wood working hobby. He would love to have more room.

Another neighbor is the same. Has a 3 car garage, and would love to have more. There are a lot more retired people who still want the space than one would imagine.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:53 AM

73 posts, read 269,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof2divas View Post
That would be my main concern. In my dream house the garage would be accessed from the back or at least you'd drive around the front to get to it. Massive garages out front just really take away from the charm of a neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area