Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 01:14 PM

209 posts, read 502,695 times

Advertisements

I have been searching for information about living near a rock quarry. We are looking in San Tan Valley and I have noticed that there is a rock quarry with in site of our would be back yard. How close is to close to a quarry. I noticed that the company is Solid Rock and their concrete trucks are around that area. The area is Octotillo/Schnepf Rd. Any insite is helpful here. We have never lived close to a quarry and I am concerned about the kids and air quality there. We have still have a window before we release the construction papers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 01:47 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,758 times
I hope you get someone with experience with that but I'm not optimistic. There are tons of quarries out here but that area is the only one I know of with homes so close to them.

I'd worry about dust. But maybe being so close to homes they keep everything wet to control it. The noise is probably pretty contained. Also be aware that the gravel trucks lose gravel as they drive and it often winds up getting flung into car windshields, though maybe it's not as big an issue on slow surface streets. I've gotten windshield dings on the 202 by the quarries out here many times. But if you carry glass insurance then it's no big deal.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:28 PM

I have asked my realtor and she said that "she can say that in her 20 years experience that she has not had to experience a rock quarry so close". The area is VERY nice and the country feel is good to. I am more concerned about the resale side of the equation. I am not sure how the quarries are viewed out there and the fissures that sometimes come with them.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:33 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,909,230 times
If the idea gives you pause, it will most likely give at least some perspective buyers pause when it becomes time to sell.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:08 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,516,201 times
I live down the road from a rock quarry and it's no fun. It's always dusty. Forget about washing your car. My car stays dusty. The trucks coming in and out of the quarry are noisy. But it's in the daytime, so at least it's not like living next to a bar or something where there's noise all night long, so the noise is the least of the problems unless you're a day sleeper.

Then there's the slow moving trucks. I'm always getting stuck behind these trucks going 20 miles an hour in a no-passing zone. And usually there are rocks falling off the trucks. There's also the road maintenance. I don't know about there, but here our county isn't keeping this road very well-maintained. It's like an obstacle course dodging all the potholes created by the trucks. After this experience, I wouldn't knowingly buy a home near a rock quarry.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:19 PM

Well, if you love the area, it might be worth the shot. I'm sure the quarry is factored into the pricing. It's cheap out there, right? Personally, I'd be far more worried about the location overall. I really dislike that drive, from Mesa to STV/QC.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
I live down the road from a rock quarry and it's no fun. It's always dusty. Forget about washing your car. My car stays dusty. The trucks coming in and out of the quarry are noisy. But it's in the daytime, so at least it's not like living next to a bar or something where there's noise all night long, so the noise is the least of the problems unless you're a day sleeper.

Then there's the slow moving trucks. I'm always getting stuck behind these trucks going 20 miles an hour in a no-passing zone. And usually there are rocks falling off the trucks. There's also the road maintenance. I don't know about there, but here our county isn't keeping this road very well-maintained. It's like an obstacle course dodging all the potholes created by the trucks. After this experience, I wouldn't knowingly buy a home near a rock quarry.

I am anual with my cars. I don't like a lot of dust since I am planning on putting in a pool as well. I wonder if this is just going to be to close to us? I wish someone that lived in the area would chime in and let me know how that area is out there for dust and other things. The resale does concern me. I know we are getting a great deal on the house with a HUGE lot but at what price for the resale side of things.
I am guessing the drive is about 20 minutes up to the 60. I work in sales so I am on the road a lot. I am also not sure on the taxes vs sale Mesa area by the new to be DBM developement.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:35 PM

It sounds like you got one person who lives near a quarry to chime in. That's more than I thought.

If you're on the road a lot, are you sure that location is going to work for you? It's 20 mins. to the 60 (at best) on single lane surface streets that clog up, right? Then you're still way out east of most of town. I really think that's a terrible location for anyone who has to commute into town for work. It was (in the boom) 90 mins. to downtown from there. It might be less now that half the residents down there fled.

I don't think dust is a huge problem for pools. You'll have a good variable speed pump and a new filter. You probably will never notice it. Actually, that might be the one place you never do! The cars in the garage might be free of it, too. Though it does seep into the house and all.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:05 PM

175 posts, read 491,533 times
Where exactly is this quarry in San Tan Valley? I have a vacation home there and don't see any unusual amounts of dust.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miran View Post
Where exactly is this quarry in San Tan Valley? I have a vacation home there and don't see any unusual amounts of dust.
It is at the corner of Octotillo/Schnepf Rd. on the south corner of Castlegate subdivision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area