Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:07 PM

484 posts, read 970,267 times

Advertisements

I rode 60 miles this morning, swam for half and hour in the late morning, went to a park in the afternoon, and then skated for two hours in the evening. I avoid the sun mostly but I certainly do not let the heat dictate my life nor do I complain about that which I can not change. (generally )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 11:23 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,010,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
I just got out of the valley and it was so hot and humid that it felt like a 107F jungle. The temperature was showing 107F and the Dew Point was at 65F. I was literally drenched in sweat from standing outside for only 5 minutes. It was even hard to breathe and I could not cool off because of the humidity.

I told my friend, "dry heat my behind."

Phoenix's summers are hot and humid, completely miserable weather wise. Wow, I have never felt such an oppressive heat that I had felt today in the valley. The Dew Point really makes it completely miserable.
How long were you here? It has only been humid for several weeks? In any case, 107 degrees with a 65 degree dewpoint is pretty miserable. I wasn't aware that it got that hot and humid today.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:38 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
How long were you here? It has only been humid for several weeks? In any case, 107 degrees with a 65 degree dewpoint is pretty miserable. I wasn't aware that it got that hot and humid today.
Well, the point upthread is that it didn't. The high temp today was NOT 107. The OP was probably looking at a car thermometer... not the best source. The official dew point was a bit lower at the time, too... but in any event, it is not that way all day every day in the summer, as it more often is elsewhere in the country in terms of the dew point/humidity. Drier days ahead here this week, according to the forecast.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:52 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times
While the heat complainers sat at their computers I was out enjoying the weather.

Some people enjoy life...some people enjoy complaining about it.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:39 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,870,463 times
NOAA officially recorded a high of 106F on July 23, 2012 in Phoenix, AZ and a Dew Point of 69F was officially recorded:

All Products by Site - NOAA's National Weather Service

Of course the die hard Phoenicians will downplay it but realistically speaking, summer in Phoenix is hot and humid with scattered periods of hot and dry conditions but high humidity & high temps are part of a Phoenix summer. The "dry heat" is applicable from October - May but June, July, August and September are hot and humid.

Last edited by DellNec; 07-24-2012 at 01:49 AM..

Old 07-24-2012, 04:40 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
So you hate the heat and you specifically don't like how hot and humid it gets in Phoenix during the summer. Understood. From my point of view, your exclusive goal was to start a thread to fan the flames and get a reaction? Maybe it is just me but I don't understand the value of starting a thread like yours?

Old 07-24-2012, 05:37 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
The complainers have never spent 3 hours clearing a driveway of snow.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:05 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
NOAA officially recorded a high of 106F on July 23, 2012 in Phoenix, AZ and a Dew Point of 69F was officially recorded:

All Products by Site - NOAA's National Weather Service

Of course the die hard Phoenicians will downplay it but realistically speaking, summer in Phoenix is hot and humid with scattered periods of hot and dry conditions but high humidity & high temps are part of a Phoenix summer. The "dry heat" is applicable from October - May but June, July, August and September are hot and humid.
Not June, it is the driest month of the year. And the last half to two thirds of September are very dry as well. The heat and humidity is real though and it is July, Aug and about a week of September. That makes about 8-10 weeks out of 52. And you need to travel more. The summer humidity/dewpoints here would be considered a "drying trend" in most of the other hot parts of the USA. Gawd, have you ever been to Arkansas in July?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:19 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Well, I agree the humidity and heat always make it a bit sticky. I realize some find it hard to deal with. I feel lucky it doesn't last long. Our humid spells are like other states heat spells. The good thing about them is they don't last long. Most of the year it's dry. Most of the year in other places it's cool.

I don't feel the need to cut anyone down over their opinions on the weather though. Some like it, some don't. Most of us just ride out the bad stuff like everyone else around the country. Not that big of a deal to me though. Good idea just to hit the ac, or get up to the mountains for a bit.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
One also needs to consider relative humidity into the comfort factor. In fact, when the heat yesterday peaked at 106, the RH was a mere 23%. The worst time of the day IMO is in the morning when the dewpoints are up there and the temps are around 95-100. That is when the relative humidity makes evaporation from your skin difficult and you get soaked and miserable. It can feel stifling at noon and not all that bad at 4 even though it is hotter because the higher temp compared to DP means lower relative humidity and better cooling. The discomfort when the temps and dewpoint are closer is what folks in other parts live with all summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area