Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 01:55 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,872,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I understand the need to be an open forum and to allow people to discuss topics freely. However, I think the heat threads don't really serve a purpose any longer. Starting a thread on heat because someone wants to vent about the weather seems to defeat the purpose of this forum. I just don't think it should be allowed that anyone who wants to complain about the heat, can just create a brand new thread.

95% of all the threads are topics that have been discussed many times before. It is very rare to have a brand new, never discussed topic appear on a forum. What you are advocating is basically a censorship which will turn into an advertising campaign for Phoenix. If all one can say are positive comments for that specific city, it turns into one big bias advertisement.

In the Phoenix forum the weather is discussed a lot because the weather is such a dominant part of the Phoenix experience. It's not Anaheim California type of weather. It's a very harsh and oftentimes brutal heat.

If any topic that has appeared more than once on this forum cannot be discussed again, then you might as well shut the forum down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 04:26 AM

9,750 posts, read 11,174,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
Arizona researcher explores dangers of living in dust

They recently discovered these dust storms carry fecal matter, ammonia, heavy metals, man-made chemicals, and a host of other noxious pollutants that are known to cause cardiovascular disease, eye disease and a host of other illnesses, including death.

Valley Fever cases are up almost 40% since last year. Arizona leads the nation in valley-fever cases and has 70% of all valley-fever cases nationally.
Thanks for the scare. Next week start a skin cancer thread, followed by an ozone thread, and don't forget about snakes and scorpions! Oh. In a few weeks, find some articles about Phoenix running out of water.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:30 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,229,892 times
Quote:
The scientists and medical doctors are stating these dust storms pose a much greater risk than just Valley Fever.

They recently discovered these dust storms carry fecal matter, ammonia, heavy metals, man-made chemicals, and a host of other noxious pollutants that are known to cause cardiovascular disease, eye disease and a host of other illnesses, including death.
If the "average" non-scientist, non-medical doctor spent a whole 30 seconds thinking about it, what would they think would be in a filthy-looking cloud of blowing dust?

Old 07-28-2012, 08:12 AM

675 posts, read 1,415,736 times
How about we have the best of both worlds then- anyone can post their thoughts, comments, gripes, etc., about the heat, but it all goes into one "Heat Thread". If someone starts a new one the mods can just merge it in.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,030,859 times
Dellnec, the thing to take away from this is don't ever post news that shows anything but sunshine and roses here.
I had heard about this study a couple of months ago and was not surprised at all considering the wind picks up the topsoil as it blows on by and it crosses many a feed lot,farms,fields and junk yards with god knows what spilled on the ground etc etc.
Staying in your car isn't really a solution unless it has cabin air filtration and the filter has been replaced at some point. Staying in your house offers some protection, the level of that protection goes up and down with the construction of the house and again, if the filters have been changed. If your house was such a safe haven then the experts wouldn't be constantly saying "change your air filters after a dust storm to keep your A/C running efficiently, that's because outside air is drawn into the house (along with all the yukky stuff) and clogs 'em up.

As for Valley Fever, personally I don't poo-poo the warnings or put my fingers in my ears anymore and neither does my family or friends. They (and I) don't think it's fear mongering that's for certain!
That's because I ended up getting it after being here only 1 1/2 years, spent 3 days in the hospital with pneumonia which finally went away but after 3 months I'm still fighting the VF part that refuses (so far) to die off and have to take anti-fungal meds for many months which are very hard on the liver.
There are many more repercussions to having VF that I will most likely have for the rest of my life but I won't bore y'all by going into them.
Congrats to y'all who've not had to deal with VF so far but there's many,many of us who are and have and to us it's not a trivial thing like it's being portrayed (here).

Old 07-28-2012, 09:01 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,267,501 times
Quote:
I was separating my thoughts and comments by using a comma, I was not including "death" as an illness. I reread it and it speaks clearly to me but maybe it's not 100% grammatically perfect. Are we resorting to becoming grammar police because it can get pretty silly if we start pointing out people's very minor grammatical errors. I found a couple of errors in your posts also, should I post them?

As far as the dust cloud news. This is news because the scientists are discovering that the dust clouds are more dangerous to peoples health than originally thought. Breathing in fecal matter, ammonia and chemicals was not known to be in those dust clouds, it's news to the scientists and medical doctors, hence the reason for the front page article in the paper today.
I find your post interesting..and I also get annoyed with people who notate my grammar mistakes. I get real sick during these stupid dust storms. Looking forward to the end of this crappy season.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:03 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,267,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Thanks for the scare. Next week start a skin cancer thread, followed by an ozone thread, and don't forget about snakes and scorpions! Oh. In a few weeks, find some articles about Phoenix running out of water.
Had I read all those threads..I would have NOT moved here. I am happy to read the CONS as well as the pros.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:16 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,320,130 times
Default "Pros and cons to live in Phoenix"

I have played with the idea of retirement to Phoenix, however, a few years ago I was speaking with a gentleman living in Phoenix (previously from Chicago) and he lamented the extremely hot weather and the sand storms (as he referred to them). He said that the sand gets into the crevices and cracks of everything it comes in contact with and you don't ever want to be driving in it or on it as it is as "slippery" as driving on packed snow and ice (his words, not mine).

I have no experience with Phoenix but this is my two cents worth and I also believe that there is validity to reports concerning the consequences of nature mixing with humanity and where we choose to live our lives.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:22 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,421,266 times
I found the OP interesting too. I just moved here recently and both my five year old and myself have been coughing a lot since we arrived. I have a "weak" feeling in my bronchial system and my son, who has asthma, coughs in the morning and in the evening too much for my comfort. I am increasing his maintenance inhaler today in hopes it will work - trying to avoid oral rx like singular due to retarded growth issues.
I think the article is good confirmation that it is unhealthy to hang around haboobs, but the alarming thing is their frequency.
I hope no one critiques my writing as I'm usually typing away and press "submit" without editing - like now!

Old 07-28-2012, 09:55 AM

39,083 posts, read 51,266,875 times
There was a big dust storm a couple days ago from a Tstorm that originated over the Estrella Mtns. I live a couple of miles away and could see the lightning, hear the thunder and feel the wind. Phoenix got walloped, but hardly any dust came this way. Why not? Because it is undeveloped desert between me and the mountains. In fact, the dust here, bad as it is, is minor and infrequent compared to what I experienced when I lived in Ahwatukee.

The dust in most storms is coming from all those fields in the SE valley around Florence, Coolidge, Casa Grande and feed lots in Maricopa. So, stay away from the "dust belt" which is mainly the south east part of the valley to improve your odds. Look for places where the surrounding area is primarily natural desert. Of course, no place around is safe or exempt from dust storms in summer or winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area