Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2013, 12:39 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,518,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Tarantulas can climb walls and get in the eaves of a house? I was didn't know they were climbers, thought they were ground dwellers.
Yep, apparently they can climb because I don't have any trees touching the house, so I don't know any other way they'd get up there. They seem to crawl very slowly and carefully when they're on the house.

The only "aggression" I've seen so far, and it was really more defensive than aggressive, was when one was crossing the road I tried to take a close-up picture and it threw hairs. I must have scared it. I've gotten that close to others and haven't had that happen before. The hairs missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 07:12 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
I think I'd like to trade some scorpions for the tarantula hawks (pepsis wasps) we have flying around as of lately. Every evening I see a couple buzzing high up near the trees. They are some mean looking SOBs!

Old 10-21-2013, 09:02 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I think I'd like to trade some scorpions for the tarantula hawks (pepsis wasps) we have flying around as of lately. Every evening I see a couple buzzing high up near the trees. They are some mean looking SOBs!
Supposedly the most painful sting of any insect, but otherwise pretty harmless to people. On the other hand, what they do to a poor tarantula will give you the heebie jeebies!

Last edited by johnp292; 10-21-2013 at 09:11 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Supposedly the most painful sting of any insect, but otherwise pretty harmless to people. On the other hand, what they do to a poor tarantula will give you the heebie jeebies!
I've seen them flying around everyday for the past week. I have to admit, they scare the crap out of me. One buzzed by my head today; sounded like a helicopter! I hope they'll begin dying off as the nights get cooler.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
I've seen them flying around everyday for the past week. I have to admit, they scare the crap out of me. One buzzed by my head today; sounded like a helicopter! I hope they'll begin dying off as the nights get cooler.
A B52 with a stinger attached! CREEPY to be sure

Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,818 times
This thread is funny it must suck being so scared of a creature just cuz its unknown, and have to worry about spray every month. I have never sprayed for anything ever and don't have citters, and have never once in my life bumped into a scorpion inside out outside my house. But then again I don't live in some exurb that was desert 5 years ago and they are still in their natural habitat.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
This thread is funny it must suck being so scared of a creature just cuz its unknown, and have to worry about spray every month. I have never sprayed for anything ever and don't have citters, and have never once in my life bumped into a scorpion inside out outside my house. But then again I don't live in some exurb that was desert 5 years ago and they are still in their natural habitat.
I'm not afraid of the unknown. I know that scorpions sting people and I'd like to avoid that. When I lived further south in Scottsdale I never sprayed and never saw anything. Now that I live in a somewhat newer area right next to mountains, they're all over. I found 3 dead ones in my garage today. Scorpion concentration in the valley seems to be really spotty. Just because you don't have them doesn't mean that they are only found in the desert exurbs.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:41 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,110,590 times
Quote:
I'm not afraid of the unknown. I know that scorpions sting people and I'd like to avoid that. When I lived further south in Scottsdale I never sprayed and never saw anything. Now that I live in a somewhat newer area right next to mountains, they're all over. I found 3 dead ones in my garage today. Scorpion concentration in the valley seems to be really spotty. Just because you don't have them doesn't mean that they are only found in the desert exurbs.
It is real spotty. I lived here 30 years, never gave them a thought. I saw one at a house in Tempe years ago, big deal. I have lived in my current place in Gilbert, never had an issue. This year we have seen a bunch, so I went and got the stuff the bug guys use and it seems to be improving. I did some work recently for a guy that has a pesticide company. He said they were really bad this year, the worst he has seen. It is spotty, some parts of the valley have none. Our situation was odd as I neve had any and all f a sudden we had quite a few. I am not frightened of them, but I am not interested in stepping on one. So, I cleaned the yard and I spray. I spent $100 for a years supply of stuff and it takes about half an hour a month. Not that big f a deal, but surprised at the amount all of a sudden.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:44 PM

Probably a dumb question and likely something I could Google, but are scorpions only a concern in the summer or are they active all year?

Old 10-24-2013, 06:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
Yep, scared to death of termites,roaches,ants and poisonous spiders and not looking forward to a scorpion sting either.
Call me crazy but I'd also not like to be nailed by an alligator if they were prevalent here either. Nor do I play on the freeway, try and pet a growling dog, play golf in a lightening storm etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area