Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:40 PM

264 posts, read 1,595,906 times

Advertisements

What are then property taxes like for homes in the city of Phoenix? Is the number shown on realtor websites correct, or are there additional taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 12:43 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,450,626 times
Visit the state treasurer's website, and you can look it up by neighborhood.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:46 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Taxes are based on assessed (not sales) value and vary a lot depending on how many school bond elections voters have approved in your district. BUT, rule of thumb is about 1/2 - 3/4 of 1 percent of sales price per year. The realtor figures may be OK but add about 20-30%. Just about everybody's tax bill went up that much this year because of the big bounce in assessed values from the housing bubble. We won't get reassessed now for two years and then taxes may go back down some if property values decline.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:47 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
Visit the state treasurer's website, and you can look it up by neighborhood.
If you have an address, you get the exact tax bill from www.maricopa.gov The new, higher tax bills are already available online even if people haven't received them in the mail.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:54 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
Everybody who is a property owner should really take a good hard look at their property taxes, and calculate the breakdown of where YOUR money is going. Approximately 30% of property taxes in Maricopa County are allocated to fire service, flood control, libraries, etc. However, nearly 70% of property taxes are going toward the burdening FAILURE known as public education!

Tax rates have generally increased this year ... which means the school districts are receiving more money. Public schools are also benefitting from the largest sales tax increase in state history (passed in the 2000 election). Yet, all we hear is sniveling that the schools aren't getting enough funds. If that's the case, where is all the tax money going that we're throwing at this monster??? I think it's obvious that the system needs a serious overhaul ... and the best way to overhaul it is to privatize it. That way, childless people like me won't be continuously burdened, and the financial responsibility will fall on the shoulders of the parents (or sperm donors) where it SHOULD be!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 AM

10 posts, read 18,967 times
Agreed (father of 3 in public school system).

Old 05-10-2011, 11:45 AM

73 posts, read 267,380 times
How would you go about getting property tax reassessed now? Wait two years? Or can you file an appeal?

Old 05-10-2011, 11:50 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendkcone View Post
Agreed (father of 3 in public school system).
You agree that homeowners without children should not pay any taxes for education?????

I've never had kids. My husband has never had kids. We pay our real estate taxes - and recognize that in maricopa county, they are pretty damn cheap as compared to other counties that include major cities.

While I don't agree with HOW they spend MY tax dollars, I can't imagine NOT contributing to educating the kids in my community.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 05-10-2011 at 12:23 PM..

Old 05-10-2011, 11:59 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,680,057 times
Your tax bills went up, or the tax rate went up? <--- big difference!

My total tax bill went down 16% - even with an "override" tacked on, and they'd have to double the tax rate over the next two years to overcome the loss of taxable value we've already experienced...

I checked the tax history for a family member's house in town, and his taxes were higher in 1994 than they are right now.

Anyone here care to trade some "1994" dollars for some "2011" dollars?

To answer the OP's question, be sure and go to the treasurer's website to verify the previous year's tax collections - it only takes a few minutes and you'll get the info from the source.

Maricopa County Treasurer's Office

Old 05-10-2011, 12:08 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,777,876 times
I'm ready to kick in my fair share for education. What is troubling is the amount of our education money that never makes it into the classrooms. Salary caps for school administrators are long overdue. Giving illegals free run of our education system compounds the problem. School refusing to take actions that wouldn't cost one Dime, further annoys me. Things like students showing up late, wearing earplugs in class, dressing like gangbangers---all could easily be eliminated in order to provide an environment more conducive to learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area