Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:14 AM

190 posts, read 449,676 times

Advertisements

Howdy all....

So I got the mail today and received a letter from the City of Phoenix that said a complaint was made for an inoperable/unlicensed van parked in the driveway.... this I am told is a Blight Violation.

I was like ???? I have a one vehicle and it's a new car. I've only been in the house about 6 mos... & I'm already a trouble maker?

I loved the idea that the home I bought was not with an active HOA -- I didn't like the idea of shelling out a bunch of money each month... Especially since I really only have one neighbor and she's very nice....so little to worry about... or so I thought.

The letter reads they will do an inspection of my property and adjacent neighboring properties checking for blight violations:
Vegetation, inoperable vehicles, junk, litter and debris, vacant structures, outside storage areas, fences in disprepair, non-dustproof parking and graffitti....

So then I have to wonder - was the "van" just an excuse to call out other possible problems? Is this a common thing that the city does when they view something that they don't like - say by a trash or recycle driver who sees something?

Does anyone know what an "adjacent right of way" means? I'm supposed to take care of those too it says.... does that mean I have to groom the alleys of the neighborhood?

Wow this feels gross - I only know one person as neighbor and I feel it couldn't be her - and I know she has stuff parked in her side of the house area - but it doesn't bother me - shouldn't bother anyone else - why would anyone care what's parked at the side of your own fenced property? I mean what she has looks normal - like an RV and a truck - no van in sight .... The next house to her was purchased recently - they cleaned and trimmed the lawn etc.. and then moved out it seems...

I'm sad about this.... I called the number provided and the lady said nothing I can do about it - they'll close the case if no violations are found. I guess if they find some - I'll be worried - I don't have funds for new stuff having just moved. I have old fencing - but it works fine -- I just can't fathom who/why I got this and I feel like a criminal but I've done nothing wrong....

Says if repeat violations happen they can take legal action without informing you...

Has anyone had this happen before? Even though it's an obvious mistake - something's going on and I'm pouting and kind of mad...
Any ideas on what to do to defend myself from this stupidity??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 05:26 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
I'm sorry this happened to you. It does sound like an error with the address, not an excuse, as you suggested. Based upon what you describe, I'd try to not worry, as it's obviously not you. Others who live in the area will chime in with personal experience, I'm sure. Good luck and remain calm.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:22 AM
F40

826 posts, read 857,308 times
Did they send a picture of the violation?

Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,222,366 times
I would call back again and see if I got someone else on the line who could help.

Regardless of their reply, I'd send the letter back with a note explaining that you have just one vehicle, which is a new car, and have no idea what they're talking about. (If I received additional information via phone I would include that too, to document it, along with the time/date called and the person spoken to.) I'd mail it certified, return receipt requested, to keep a paper trail.

It stinks that this happened. Good luck; I hope it works out for you quickly.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:27 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,132,405 times
Just don't worry about it. They got your address in error. That inspection is going to be a drive-by. It's not like even if they do find any blight violations they're going to drag out of your house in cuffs and take you downtown. They'll send you another letter letting you know what any violations are and ask you to take care of them within 10 days or something.

The cities all have nuisance/blight ordinances. They're not that strict and usually it takes someone in the neighborhood reporting them to even be enforced. Check what Phoenix's are online if the letter didn't state them, and make sure you're not in violation. I don't know Phoenix's but I doubt an RV in a fenced side yard is one of them. Usually they don't want inoperable vehicles lying around the streets and driveways or front yards. It does look bad.

Adjacent right of way are the sidewalks and alleys around your property. Spray some weed killer, if it's an issue. Here's what Mesa requires: "Property owners are responsible for maintaining their properties, and the adjacent right-of-way (sidewalk, street, alley), free of dead or dried vegetation (weeds, tall grass, shrubs, trees, palm fronds, etc.)."

Last edited by ReadyFreddy; 05-11-2012 at 07:37 AM..

Old 05-11-2012, 08:05 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Don't take it too hard - obviously an incorrect address, they won't pick your yard apart. I've actually used the city of Phoenix's urban blight app for the Iphone several times to report dead/unregistered cars parked on the street in my neighborhood. The app automatically guesstimates the address based on GPS from the phone & sends a picture of the violation to the city. If I'm standing in the sidewalk of *your* yard taking a picture of the neighbor, the address may be wrong but the cities drive-by check will spot the real culprit.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:01 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,946,642 times
Sounds like incorrect address.

[mod cut-- off topic. This is a City of Phoenix topic-- start a new thread if you like]

Old 05-11-2012, 10:07 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
For future protection, in case you are ever sited again and then can't say this is your second violation, I would write a letter and send a picture of the front of your house with your actual vehicle and tell them you don't own a van and that you recently moved in. Keep a copy and get delivery confirmation.

I would not just forget about it as it could come to haunt you later on.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
For future protection, in case you are ever sited again and then can't say this is your second violation, I would write a letter and send a picture of the front of your house with your actual vehicle and tell them you don't own a van and that you recently moved in. Keep a copy and get delivery confirmation.

I would not just forget about it as it could come to haunt you later on.
Good advice, and doubly important when the HOA does this sort of thing.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:10 AM

190 posts, read 449,676 times
Thanks everyone for your bits of advice and wisdom! I too felt I should hand write a letter - or type and sign a letter - maybe somehow include a picture of my house... As tomorrow is the weekend I can do a spray of weed/grass killer -- Do you nice folks actually buy that expensive spray stuff and do the area behind your fence in the alley? I have access to three alleys actually from my yard - that would be a small fortune... I do have a week wacker - but honestly have never set foot in the alley to take a look back there. I only go to one of them to dispose of household/kitchen trash in those big bins... To get an extension cord long enough to reach all those areas - well I don't think they make one that long - so I'd have to see if I could borrow someone's gas powered wacker.... Whole thing seems stupid...& I've never before seen anyone grooming their alleyways since I moved in. Maybe I'll just do my own yard - there's a couple of weeds in the rocks - and some grass that needs killing - just typical stuff - nothing overgrown etc... Just feels creepy - but I'll try to just 'forgetta 'bout it' as you say after the letter/photo sending And I am getting paranoid I see as the letter was about a van in the driveway only.... My one neighbor has a business van in the yard now and again ... but it comes and goes daily it seems ... And if it's about her truck/rv.... I honestly thought that what people put at the side of the house was their own business? I remember when searching for a house a selling point in AZ was always the 'rv' gate... which had me believe people could put big 'most of the time' unmoveable pieces of vacation stuff in their yard by use of the gate.... Again I don't own any of that stuff - too bad! So it's not a concern - but while it may not be the best looking to have an RV in your yard - surely it shouldn't be illegal should it - nor the car attached to it ... Maybe people have too much time on their hands or are holding a grudge against her if that's what it's about... sigh -- still a little stressy over it I see lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area