Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,866,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmib View Post
What do you guys think?
In weather...there is no normal...."normal" is a fignewton of some statisticians computation...mother nature does whatever she wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,336,535 times
We're not officially done with the monsoon until September 30th, so maybe we should wait until then to give a more accurate report. So far, however, official rainfall at Sky Harbor has been slightly above normal since the season started ... and the forecasters were actually correct (which is pretty rare). Back in June, they predicted slightly above normal precipitation this summer. Average rainfall in Phoenix for the summer monsoon is 2.71 inches, and the official rainfall thus far has been exactly three inches. Overall, yes, a much more defined monsoon than last year.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:50 AM

7,240 posts, read 9,335,689 times
Normal is the average +/- 3 standard deviations.

But the last couple of weeks have been nice.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 AM
RCR

264 posts, read 911,809 times
Unfortunately it is only the third of the last 10 seasons to have above average rainfall and we are still below average for the year. Keep it coming.....

Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 AM

800 posts, read 1,918,458 times
Parts of the Valley received FAR more rain than others. Almost every time our back yard rain gauge received rain, a few parts of the Valley received none, and some other parts received far more. Last night we got .04" and one gauge in N. Central Phoenix received a whopping .16" in a small amount of time, but the Valley was predominantly dry. Another time one reporting station in Cave Creek received 3" and we only received .04". The SE Valley seemed to get more days of rain overall this season than other parts of the Valley.

My favorite part of having a gauge & reporting rainfalls to Cocorah's - getting to see how our area's rainfall stacked up to the rest of the Valley.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:18 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,282,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunluv View Post
If this summer's monsoon was wet, I'd hate to experience a dry one...not much here in the west valley/avondale. As seems the norm, the east valley apparently gets quite a bit more rain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Really? Just out to your southwest we have had over 4 inches this summer. We rarely get more than an inch in most years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
much more so than last year in my area.
I'm in goodyear somewhere between Ponderosa & LBTRS and also have received a ton of rain so far this year - it's been great and much needed

Even aside from the big storms, there have been quite a few times where we have gotten sprinkles and light showers - a couple times i was able to go into the backyard and play with my kids in the light rain - great stuff

Definitely the most active I remember in some time - although given how the past few have been duds, it may not be much above "normal" - but definitely present

Old 09-13-2012, 12:46 PM

641 posts, read 2,372,323 times
I would say this has been the most HUMID mosoon I have ever seem since the early 80's.

As far as rain, I would say closer to normal. The last 12 years have been real dry. This feels more like the 90's monsoon weather, with more humidity!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 PM

568 posts, read 1,210,776 times
Having lived in Phoenix now for about 10 years, I've never seen so much monsoon rain since moving out here! Love it! I grew up in South Florida so the humidity doesn't bother me one bit. Dry or humid- I'm fine with either.

I live in Coronado Historic District, and unlike last year which was all dust and no rain, this year we've consistently had the rain clouds come 'inland' to us. As an avid gardener, I love what the fresh rain water has done for all my various plants and grass! I've never seen it so green as it is now! My only regret is that I don't currently have a rain harvesting system set-up...oh well, maybe next year. I wonder if this means we'll have a spectacular spring season of wildflowers out in the Superstitions this year? Or maybe that depends more on the winter rain? Hmmm...

The only bad thing - the weeds are out of control in my backyard and on the sides! And I've generally been keeping up with them throughout the summer but they're winning right now. I mean, they're mocking me! lol. Since I don't like to use herbicides near my garden area, unfortunately, I'm going to have to pull em by hand! Yuk.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:29 PM

39,174 posts, read 51,470,538 times
Dewpoints are back in the 40s and falling. Monsoon is gone! Hallelujah! I am so looking forward to cool mornings again.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:33 PM

344 posts, read 816,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I'm in goodyear somewhere between Ponderosa & LBTRS and also have received a ton of rain so far this year - it's been great and much needed
Nearby in Avondale facing Goodyear I could watch the regular storms over Goodyear, mostly missing Avondale and other areas.

Quote:
We're not officially done with the monsoon until September 30th, so maybe we should wait until then to give a more accurate report
Oh please; we have a good idea by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area