Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 06:13 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,712,573 times

Advertisements

Are there any other good companies providing internet, if I'm trying to avoid Cox and Century Link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 08:46 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,788 times
Not really unfortunately. I mean you can always get broadband for your laptop with any of the popular cell phone providers like at&t and verizon. There is also a less well known company called NetZero that I see comercials for once in a blue moon(however i dont know anyone who has them so that doesnt say much). Cox is really the best game in town for internet.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:09 PM

768 posts, read 1,759,810 times
You can research satellite internet providers - WildBlue, HughesNet, Earthlink. etc. In years past, the equipment costs and monthly fees made satellite IPS quite costly. Given the trend of subscription pricing structures based on speed and USAGE - the cost gap appears to be shrinking.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:56 PM

18 posts, read 32,672 times
Bumping this thread a year later, since it's the same question I have. Is Cox/CenturyLink still the only real choice we have for internet?

Old 07-16-2013, 01:37 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,494 times
Yep.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:55 AM

397 posts, read 659,971 times
[orphaned response to deleted post]

As far as the original topic, the key word is "decent", any satellite based internet service is generally a last resort as the inherent latency with a satellite transmission is very high and there is no way around that. Also the bandwidth is a lot less and the uplink speed is not that high. Using satellite is almost comparable to going back to a dial-up modem, it has improved a bit in recent years though but its a more expensive option.

You could use a cellular hot spot if you have good cell coverage at your home, but its not cheap and there are typically lower data caps. You're also subject to the typical issues experienced from an airborne based carrier vs a wired carrier.

There probably are also some wireless ISP providers but again same issues as cellular.

Unfortunately Cox and CenturyLink are the only two "affordable" high speed options. We discuss the two here..

cox internet monthly data cap overages emails

Last edited by observer53; 07-15-2014 at 12:19 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 07:38 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,762,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esiebert7625 View Post

As far as the original topic, the key word is "decent", any satellite based internet service is generally a last resort as the inherent latency with a satellite transmission is very high and there is no way around that. Also the bandwidth is a lot less and the uplink speed is not that high. Using satellite is almost comparable to going back to a dial-up modem, it has improved a bit in recent years though but its a more expensive option.

You could use a cellular hot spot if you have good cell coverage at your home, but its not cheap and there are typically lower data caps. You're also subject to the typical issues experienced from an airborne based carrier vs a wired carrier.

There probably are also some wireless ISP providers but again same issues as cellular.

Unfortunately Cox and CenturyLink are the only two "affordable" high speed options. We discuss the two here..

cox internet monthly data cap overages emails
^^this. Satellite internet is basically dial-up. I don't like Century Link due to the fact that all they can offer me was something like 3mbps compared to the 20mbps I have through Cox. I'm not sure how close we are or even if Phoenix is in the running for that Google Fiber. They will offer speeds of up to 1gbps. But, their prices will be higher than Cox/Century Link.

Last edited by observer53; 07-15-2014 at 12:19 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 12:39 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,272,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esiebert7625 View Post
Unfortunately Cox and CenturyLink are the only two "affordable" high speed options.
There's the rub. It depends what you want/need, and if you work from home (as I do) you definitely need a reliable, fast ISP. I'd love to see some real competition out there; unfortunately the 'big two' are well aware they have a lot of valley residents by the shorts.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:15 PM

80 posts, read 289,329 times
I used to have Cox internet and phone service. Just cancelled it and signed up for Dish internet, which is through Centerylink dsl phone line. I now use "OOMA" for my phone service. I cut my internet/phone bill by about $50. per month. Internet is $40. per month and I get a $10. discount per month by being a Dish TV subscriber also, so $30. per month. OOMA is about $4. per month.
I do not do a lot of "streaming" of videos etc. so not a big demand for extras on the internet. So far I do not see any difference in the internet and phone service that I was getting from Cox other than the big drop in cost. Phone service is just like before and if there is a difference in the internet, I can not tell it. I have the lowest price internet, upgrades are available I think.
This worked for me, may or may not for you. I have only had the new service a few weeks, no problems so far, but buyers beware. Do your homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area