Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:05 PM

77 posts, read 112,667 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be in Phoenix for 3 weeks in Dec/Jan. Looking for non-tourist stuff to do. My daughter is 18 so I'm not looking for kiddie activities. Outdoor stuff, museums, exceptional shopping, etc. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 02:03 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Scottsdale Fashion Square for exceptional shopping.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:59 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,055 times
That would be the ideal time to get outside and go hiking, if you and your family are up for that sort of thing. Lots of good spots for it in and around Phoenix. I second Scottsdale Fashion for shopping, the most exceptional mall in town.

Not sure how mobile you guys are going to be, but you could always head down to Tombstone south of Tucson for some Old West flavor. If you want winter sports, you could head north to Flagstaff and do some skiing/snowboarding at Snowbowl.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:07 PM

640 posts, read 957,632 times
Check out Zoo Lights at the Phoenix Zoo. And of course if you are here the end of January go to the Phoenix Open.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:06 PM

148 posts, read 265,373 times
Where are the best areas to go for a hike with some amazing views ?

Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 AM

77 posts, read 112,667 times
Thanks for the replies. We'll be somewhat mobile. We plan on going to the Grand Canyon for Christmas so I don't know how many other longish drives we want to do. Nature is high on the list. We'd like to do Camelback and go to Papago Park. Any other "off the beaten path" hikes (not necessarily literally off the path).

If you've read my few previous posts, you know we plan on relocating to the Phoenix area in a few years. This trip is less of a vacation and more of "check out the area", so we're looking for any activities that would accomplish that, while still being fun.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:38 AM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,684 times
Take a ride out the Apache Trail. It takes you past Canyon and Apache lakes out to Roosevelt lake. You can then come back either through Globe or the Beeline highway, around 3-4 hours round trip. One warning, from just past Tortilla Flats to Roosevelt it is a dirt road that can be a little washboardy. Nothing a car can't handle, you just have to take your time which is easy with the scenery. Don't let anyone talk you out of it because of Fish Creek Hill. It is 2 miles along the cliff with several one lane areas, but if hundreds of snowbirds do it every year anyone can.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
The luminarias at the Botanical Garden is supposed to be good.

Las Noches de las Luminarias | Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix, AZ

I would recommend The Heard Museum as well.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:31 PM

2,850 posts, read 4,521,584 times
* Out of Africa wildlife park, Camp Verde
* Montezuma's Castle, Camp Verde
* Jerome
* Tombstone
* Bisbee Mine tour
* the Buffalo Soldier museum inside Ft Huachuca in Sierra Vista - note: you MUST have current insurance on your vehicle or you will NOT be allowed in!!!
* depending on when you are there, Quartsite will be swimming with a billion vendors
* I tried Tucson Studios, not worth it to me so don't even bother.

it's too bad you won't be there during Feb/Mar....the Ren Faire is to die for!!!

Old 10-26-2012, 06:49 AM

233 posts, read 445,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Take a ride out the Apache Trail. It takes you past Canyon and Apache lakes out to Roosevelt lake. You can then come back either through Globe or the Beeline highway, around 3-4 hours round trip. One warning, from just past Tortilla Flats to Roosevelt it is a dirt road that can be a little washboardy. Nothing a car can't handle, you just have to take your time which is easy with the scenery. Don't let anyone talk you out of it because of Fish Creek Hill. It is 2 miles along the cliff with several one lane areas, but if hundreds of snowbirds do it every year anyone can.
I second that. Very scenic drive, and you can hike in the mountains there as well. Tortilla Flats is a good place to stop and stretch your legs and use the restroom if your family needs it. I'd recommend coming back via the beeline because you can see more of Roosevelt lake and you can stop by the fountain in Fountain Hills if you wanted and grab a coffee or ice cream and walk around the lake. Great views of the Mcdowell's from there as well.

When you go to and from the Grand Canyon, you can go both ways from and back to Flagstaff if you want to drive a bit out of the way. The Wupatki Monument, as well as Sunset Crater and Lava fields and Walnut Canyon near Flag is interesting, but I'm not sure how much snow will be there for winter so they might be closed. Montezuma's Castle is right off of the 17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff, and you can see a great example of a Native American cliff dwelling. It's only a few bucks to walk around the base of them, but you can't go up.

Sedona is pretty. Lots of hiking, Native American ruins, souvenir shopping, good food, pink Jeep tours (I don't know if they're open in the winter months??) Pretty touristy though.

Buy a National Park pass for 80 bucks if you plan to go to more than one National Park/Monument within the next year. It's good for a car load of people each time you visit.

South Mountain park is also a nice place to hike, and there are a lot of trails (I like the hidden valley trail) and good views there. It's in South Phoenix. There's also Piestewa Peak in the city, and that's really popular for locals to hike up and the trail is only a little over a mile long to get to the top. The end is fun when you boulder climb up to the peak. I would go about once a week for a while, and saw lots of local wildlife.

Saguaro National Park down by Tuscon is really pretty. The Arizona Sonora Desert Museum is amazing in Tucson. Highly recommended. I'm not sure, but you might be able to get up to Mt. Lemmon in Tucson. Check to see if the road is still open in the winter; I've only been in the fall, but it's a beautiful drive. There might be snow.

There is hiking out by Carefree and Cave Creek (N of Phoenix), although it's a bit out of the way. Go up to Lake Pleasant and rent a boat and fish (call ahead). Monument Valley is pretty far away from Phoenix (you'll be driving into Utah), but if you wanted to make the trip up to the GC longer, that's a nice thing to see. I'm not sure, but I don't think you can get out and hike w/o permission and a guide on the reservation. I drove through there last year around Christmas, and the snow on the mittens was different than seeing them in the summer.

Indoor activities: Heard Museum (awesome place), Phoenix Art Museum, Scottsdale Fashion Square, Musical Instrument Museum, FLW Taliesin West, Lucky Strike bowling, IMAX/Aquarium at the AZ Mills mall, Orpheum Theatre downtown (I think I used to see The Nutcracker advertised for Christmas).

I said this in another post a while back, but if you are moving to the area, go to Bookman's used book store and buy older cheap copies of Arizona Highways Magazine or Phoenix Magazine if you want ideas on where to sight see when you live here.

Sorry if my thoughts are a bit disjointed, it's early and I haven't had coffee yet. Can you tell I miss Arizona?

Hope you have fun in AZ!

Last edited by boolouwho; 10-26-2012 at 06:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area