Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:45 AM

54 posts, read 224,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill- View Post
Winner !
LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 10:59 AM

15 posts, read 53,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
My biggest complaint about this forum is the number of people complaining about the heat.
Why in the heck did you move to Phoenix if you don't like the heat? I don't get it.
It's your own fault for not investigating enough before you moved.
I lived in Mesa for a while then returned back east when my wife got pregnant. Now the kids are 6 and 4 and we can't wait to get back.
I'll take the scorching summers over the harsh winters and cloudy summer days and day of the week.
You people are crazy.
Exactly, do they not watch the news? Did they really think the temperatures would drop by 20 degrees in the summer once they moved? Did they suddenly think it would start snowing in November so they coul do all these winter sports? If they hate heat and love winter activities then why would you move to Phoenix of all places. I not only ask why they moved here but why do they remain here? Okay, now you know what the heat is like and you hate it so leave!You hate everything about this city so why have you decided to remain here for the last 10 years? Yeah, I don't get it either. These people are crazy

Old 12-18-2007, 11:33 AM

461 posts, read 1,810,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelfaceAZ View Post
Every time I get a little nostalgic for Michigan I just think about the weeks where it rains and rains and rains and rains and you wouldn't see the sun for days at a time....no thanx I'll choose to tough out summer any day as long as I can avoid the sloppy, wet mess that is fall, winter and spring in Michigan...there was frost on the grass outside my door this morning and I nearly ran back inside to get my gloves
I'm with you!

Old 12-18-2007, 01:08 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
You responded to a very old post of mine, have you read my newest below??
Oops no I didn't...........sorry I just had to say I was cold.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:39 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Oops no I didn't...........sorry I just had to say I was cold.
Sheena, I suggest we start our own thread bitching about the cold! I'm sure it'll get a lot of hits on the main page and will bring a lot of out-of-staters chastising us and possibly offering us mental-health services!

Old 12-18-2007, 03:38 PM

226 posts, read 1,169,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwaveaz View Post
Your winters are 10 times worse than our summers. What's bad about cold weather states is you get the worst of both worlds. It's extremely cold in your winter and your summers are humid and disgusting. Our summers are bad but our winters are perfect. Why do you think everyone moves from cold weather staes to Arizona but that the opposite doesn't occur. You dont' exactly see a migration of people from Arizona to places like Michigan or Illinois. I don't see waves of people moving to Michigan because it's so hot in Arizona. But in Phoenix, it's a common occurence to meet someone move from Cleveland or Chicago complaining about the cold. It's too bad those people are not on this forum because newbies reading this would get a reality check about what people in cold states really think about the lifeless tundra where they are from. An before 3 or 4 people chime in about moving from Arizona to cold weather states, realize you are the exception and not the rule. All growth statistics support the fact that people are moving out of cold states to places like Arizona. This forum just contains some anomalies. And what's this nonsense about people not doing outdoor activies in the summer. I regularly play golf, and tennis in the summer. People train for triathlons in the summer routinely. You can go to several lakes and engage in outdoor water sports like Lake Powell or Havasu. There are active Little League and softball leagues throughout the city. We are even building these baseball parks in Mesa that are to resemble professional ball parks. I see young boys playing football in August with full pads when it's over 100 degree outside. I see girls in Scottsdale rollerblade on the greenbelt in the summer. You can rock climb and hike. There are several competitive sand volleyball leagues throughout the valley. As long as you have cold water with you and are able to stay hyrdrated, you are fine. In the cold weather, it really depends on the day. Sure, if it's not windy and the sun is out, you can maybe do those activities in the afternoon. However, even in March in Colorado, if there is a snow storm, you can't convince me to go skiing because your face will freeze on the ski lift even if it's covered. It's only worse in staes like Minnesota and Wisconsins. It doesn't matter how well you are bundled up, that freezing wind hurts a heck of a lot more than intense heat. It's also a more difficult to breathe when the air is so cold so it just adds to the pain. Ask anyone about playing outdoor sports in the winter or the summers and it's a lot tougher and more strenuous in the winter by far. It's a lot worse to hike when its freezing outside because its more difficult to breathe and the fact you have to wear so many layers makes it more difficult to move.

Let me explain somethng about the heat, if you guys had 20 percent humidity, it would 110 where you are from too. When it rains here, the temperature drops to 90-95 degrees just like any other state. So when people say it's a dry heat, they are making sense. That's why 110 feels like 95 where you are from. Removing humidity improves the feel of the heat tremendously. I don't even notice the heat any longer. Most of us are just used to it.

There are a lot of great things about the summer in Phoenix. The traffic drops considerably. Restaurants and wine bars offer great specials. You can actually get into several restaurants without having to wait an hour like you usually do. It's fun to have people over for swimming pool parties and barbequing by the pool. Even at 105 degrees, you don't notice with misters, shade and cold drink. In my opinion, I will take 105 or even 110 than 90 in places like Wisconsin in which it's muggy and you are infested with mosquitoes and other weird bugs. It's so disgusting in the summer there that you feel like you have to take a bath because the humidity makes you sweat even when you are indoors. At least in Phoenix, my feet don't sweat on my carpet when I'm inside, but go to Minnesota in July and it's so nasty.
You don't see people migrating from blue-collar meccas like Phoenix and Vegas because they could not find blue-collar work as readily, and get compensated for the same as much. The reason it is one way is simple and two-fold. First, retirees move to where it's warm. They may even have a primary home in the north/east, but they will spend much time in area, and even many of them may go back for the summers. Phoenix and Vegas are meccas for outsourced/laid off blue collar workers from all over the USA. Rapid growth keeps them employed, and busy, unlike from whence they came. It is largely non-union, and does not pay half of what unions paid, but it is steady work. They are not going back because they have been economic outcasts of their respective cities, That is why you see so many low-end apartment complexes. The folks that come here are last-chance folks, looking for work they cannot find from where they came. With the Real Estate slowdown, they will be in almost the same position as the hispanic legal and illegal hispanic immigrants, from whom they fight an ever losing fight for a living wage, and lose.......desperation keeps them from going back, is all...

Old 12-18-2007, 03:49 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Sheena, I suggest we start our own thread bitching about the cold! I'm sure it'll get a lot of hits on the main page and will bring a lot of out-of-staters chastising us and possibly offering us mental-health services!
It IS cold. I have had ice on my windshield in the morning for about a week now. Bring on summer!

Old 12-18-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates1234 View Post
You don't see people migrating from blue-collar meccas like Phoenix and Vegas because they could not find blue-collar work as readily, and get compensated for the same as much. The reason it is one way is simple and two-fold. First, retirees move to where it's warm. They may even have a primary home in the north/east, but they will spend much time in area, and even many of them may go back for the summers. Phoenix and Vegas are meccas for outsourced/laid off blue collar workers from all over the USA. Rapid growth keeps them employed, and busy, unlike from whence they came. It is largely non-union, and does not pay half of what unions paid, but it is steady work. They are not going back because they have been economic outcasts of their respective cities, That is why you see so many low-end apartment complexes. The folks that come here are last-chance folks, looking for work they cannot find from where they came. With the Real Estate slowdown, they will be in almost the same position as the hispanic legal and illegal hispanic immigrants, from whom they fight an ever losing fight for a living wage, and lose.......desperation keeps them from going back, is all...
Finally, after walking and searching for so long like Diogens with lanterns,

we got lucky and stumbled across another Greek philosopher generous enough to enlighten us as to who and what we are! I'm still "special," though... I'm a foreign country's outcast (other than Mexico)! Surprisingly enough, I happen to be doing a job that native-born Americans wouldn't mind, either.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:26 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,961 times
Exclamation I agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates1234 View Post
That was an incredibly insightful post. Very well said.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It IS cold. I have had ice on my windshield in the morning for about a week now. Bring on summer!
I know... Unless I'm getting amnesia , I don't recall that many nights with lows in the 30s in early December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area