Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 08:05 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
I also am doing the same thing (well, kind of). I've been planning this move since 2007. My last day of work at a law firm I've been at for the past 27 years is Dec. 28. I leave for AZ on Jan 4. After many years of researching AZ and many trips out there, I flew out to AZ in March of this year on a last-minute decision, decided to build a home in Buckeye and will be closing on it on Jan 14. I don't have a job lined up, but I do have a part time home-based job I can do full time until I find something. I'm so excited! I live in Michigan and can't take the winters here any more. I've been to AZ enough times to know how hot it gets and I'll take 110 with no humidity over 100 with humidity in Michigan any day!! Good luck with your move, CleverUserID!!
Congratulations, Stumblina! I know you've done your homework, hope your move to AZ is everything you hope for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 02:26 PM

20 posts, read 33,399 times
Default Great help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverUserID View Post
Wow Zeromus, I really appreciate all the information! Especially about leasing and how the apartments might work with me. I had no idea, so that's great news. Luckily I don't have any pets, so the deposits shouldn't be too much, and I'm hoping to get some fees waived with my charm, haha.

It's interesting what you mentioned about the lease terms and the respective price differences. I noticed that myself, but hadn't crunched the numbers yet. Some of the places I've looked are a couple hundred less expensive the longer the term, so I can definitely see how that could be beneficial.

My friends live in Chandler and Tempe, and they have the same sentiment you mentioned about Scottsdale. With you confirming that, I'm thinking Tempe is my best bet. Financially too.

I really think you answered just about all the questions I can think of haha. Quite the detailed response and very much appreciated. I suppose the only question I have now would be; any regrets? Things you would have done differently?

Thanks for the support Westcoastbabe! Lucky for me I got rid of my house in June, so the only "trappings" I have now is my furniture. Hope you have luck selling your home and that you're able to make the move soon!
I'm sorry to "hitchhike" on the poster's question, but i truly appreciate the response offered by Zeromus and others here. I'm "juggling" a move to parts of Phoenix, Tucson or Vegas and i'm fully retired, but in need of a Veterans Administration Hospital to help me with service-connected disability issues (not germane to the thread -- sorry!). Thanks, thanks, thanks and have an exceptionally fine 2013.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:49 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,708,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyVicky View Post
I left Cali after 40 yrs there, just not the job opportunities, higher taxes, and we were in a neighborhood headed downward after government housing took over many of the homes that sold during the boom.

We bought a home in Downtown Phoenix, right in walking distance to the metro rail, the hubby makes far more then he ever did in Cali with benefits, and lots of other perks here.

But I will disagree with the comments about rarely running the AC in the summer, ummm not true, you would be miserable here in the summer without AC. So that was our biggest shocker expense here.

Other then that, I was glad to move, gas is also much cheaper here then Cali.

And i love my new neighborhood(we are in the historical district of Phoenix) you can check around there too for guest houses. Its really cozy with lots of things in walking distance.
AC is a definite need to escape from the heat or to sleep at night. I'd say even if you only came home to sleep you would need at least a portable AC. A heater on the other hand is never needed. Even with the cold past few days, all you need is more clothes. If its cold in the home, open your curtains during the day and close them at night. We NEVER use the heater and the smoke from last night was ridiculous

Old 01-01-2013, 09:14 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,722,626 times
Get a steering lock for your car. The Phoenix area consistently ranks among the top cities for worst car theft rate.

You will sweat A LOT so drink plenty of water. Just because you dont have sweat pouring down your face and dripping off your nose doesnt mean your not sweating.

Dont live in South Phoenix, Maryvale, Central Mesa or Central Chandler.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:00 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,736,527 times
So many good things have already been shared on this thread about the area I don't have much to add. I will say that people either love it here or they hate it. I moved here for work and didn't have much time to check it out before relocating. It worked for my family because we embraced the area for what it had to offer and didn't try to compare it to where we came from. That would be my advice to you. The desert has a uniqueness and beauty all its own. The state is unique in that it has diverse climates. Summers in the valley get quite warm, but you have the option of driving to Flagstaff, Pinetop, Sedona or Greer where temps will be cooler. If you like to ski you can also get your "snow fix" by driving to those places and coming back to 60 or 70- degree weather. It's quite nice.
The most important thing about moving to a new area is the attitude you bring with you, in my opinion. Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Last edited by goolsbyjazz; 01-02-2013 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 AM

48 posts, read 69,843 times
Just to chime in here:

Question to scottay- what is wrong with central Chandler? And what area is considered "central" Chandler? I am moving very soon and had specifically picked Chandler as ny likely future home because of its safety rankings...

Old 01-02-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen829 View Post
Just to chime in here:

Question to scottay- what is wrong with central Chandler? And what area is considered "central" Chandler? I am moving very soon and had specifically picked Chandler as ny likely future home because of its safety rankings...
I suspect he's referring to the area on and immediately adjacent to Arizona Avenue, particularly from downtown south. Even factoring that area in, Chandler is a generally safe city. There's crime in every city. You just need to find the safer locations in any city, and use common sense.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:28 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,722,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen829 View Post
And what area is considered "central" Chandler?
So, get a map of Chandler. Put your pencil or cursor on Chandler City Hall and then draw or imagine a line going one mile in each direction from that point. If you do this you will end up with a square that is 2 miles on a side. The area inside this square is generally pretty run down and crappy looking. Theft will be high, as it is in most areas of the valley regardless of the neighborhood, but I wouldn't consider this to be a dangerous area. You might take that last part with a grain of salt as I grew up in Sunnyslope which many people consider to be a dangerous area even though I do not.
[off topic for this thread]

Old 01-02-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
So, get a map of Chandler. Put your pencil or cursor on Chandler City Hall and then draw or imagine a line going one mile in each direction from that point. If you do this you will end up with a square that is 2 miles on a side. The area inside this square is generally pretty run down and crappy looking. Theft will be high, as it is in most areas of the valley regardless of the neighborhood, but I wouldn't consider this to be a dangerous area. You might take that last part with a grain of salt as I grew up in Sunnyslope which many people consider to be a dangerous area even though I do not.
[off topic for this thread]
"Theft high in most areas of the Valley regardless of the neighborhood"? A gross overstatement, IMO. The reported thefts in my entire Tempe ZIP code are minimal. And that's just one example from this part of the Valley.

Let's keep this thread focused on the areas the OP is looking at.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:14 AM

31 posts, read 63,632 times
Default I am soooo happy for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
I also am doing the same thing (well, kind of). I've been planning this move since 2007. My last day of work at a law firm I've been at for the past 27 years is Dec. 28. I leave for AZ on Jan 4. After many years of researching AZ and many trips out there, I flew out to AZ in March of this year on a last-minute decision, decided to build a home in Buckeye and will be closing on it on Jan 14. I don't have a job lined up, but I do have a part time home-based job I can do full time until I find something. I'm so excited! I live in Michigan and can't take the winters here any more. I've been to AZ enough times to know how hot it gets and I'll take 110 with no humidity over 100 with humidity in Michigan any day!! Good luck with your move, CleverUserID!!

I am soooo happy for you, but I am also very jealous of you. I also live in Michigan and can't get out of here fast enough. Keep in touch, let me know how the move goes. I'd like to know everything that you experience.

All the best,
Gerri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area