Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 05:20 PM

11 posts, read 66,670 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating to Phoenix, AZ from Norther California in Spring 2013, for Nursing school. I recently took a trip to visit the college and familiarize myself with the area prior to the move. Although, I enjoyed my stay what areas should I avoid renting in, and what area should I avoid altogether. For instance, don't drive in west and south Phoenix? All feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 05:36 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
where is the nursing school?....

by the way, many people "drive" in west and south Phx every day and do, in fact, survive to tell the tale....but, mostly, we need to know where you'll be going to school to help you out....

Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,340 times
No where in the Phx area is it unsafe to drive even at the most ungodly hour at night. But yes you would not want to rent in most parts of west and south phoenix. However you shouldn't go out of your way to avoid either area. South Phoenix is nice along Baseline Rd with nice apt complexes. Anyway are you going to ASU or what? More info is needed to further assist you.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:13 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Yes, asking us what to avoid without an area is the same as if we ask which areas to avoid in L.A. We are huge and spread out so we need to narrow it down a bit. There are nice areas in the west and the south if you want to be located there. All cities have an area that isn't so great and areas that are.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:01 PM

5 posts, read 33,455 times
Phoenix is Huge, one of the largest cities in the U.S, land wise. When you have a large population of hispanics and the border is Mexico, your azz better have a pistol in the car with you. Mase will not help you, that stuff will not keep a gang banger away from you. But, I would dodge the 1st street's through the 51st street's. Central Phoenix is a little rough, but you could pass through. Now the 1st ave through 50 something ave is okay, try not to get confused with the street numbers, there are streets and Ave's on the road signs, very confusing. But it's easy if you know like the main streets. Camelback, Mcdowell, Scottsdale and so on. I can tell you this, North Phoenix is way Nice, North east is nice, You may want to even stay in Paradise Valley, but the cost is way high then anywhere in the metro, the average home range from $600,000 and up. Scottsdale is laid back, but lots of snotty people and rich people, you have to have money for that place. Tempe is ASU country and all about Pat Tillman and not anything else which is okay, because he was a hero. Glendale sucks, I wouldn't move there. On NFL gameday, traffic is crazy, Take it from me, I played in the stadium. Gleandale has lots of crime, and the city of Phoenix does to. Chandler is wonderful, Gilbert is great, Mesa is okay, but it's up and down. Downtown Phoenix YUCK. Vanburen, YEAH! Try to stay away from that area. Any sign with a president last name, don't hang around. Peoria is great for spring training, but some parts are a little rough. Avondale is not bad, Buckeye is okay, Tolleson is being worked on a lot. If you want a house, Pinal County or the city of Maricopa has cheap homes and rent range between $700 to $1000 a month. Not bad for huge homes, but avoid 2 story homes in Arizona. They are cheap for a reason. NOBODY WANTS TO LIVE IN THEM. It cost a lot to keep them cool in the summer. The heat is very extreme in Arizona and is one of the hottest states in America. Heat range between 99 to 125 degrees. So be alert of high over priced home scams in the Metro, because you may be paying a low rent, but you will end up paying extra for the energy bills. So if your rent is 700 a month, you may be paying $1,000 or more total. You not saving any money if you do that. But anyway, I know from experience, I live in Chandler and a very nice 1 bedroom is $999 a month and after bills, $1200 a month.

Last edited by mrcapital; 01-12-2013 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: misspelled a few words.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcapital View Post
Phoenix is Huge, one of the largest cities in the U.S, land wise. When you have a large population of hispanics and the border is Mexico, your azz better have a pistol in the car with you. Mase will not help you, that stuff will not keep a gang banger away from you. But, I would dodge the 1st street's through the 51st street's. Central Phoenix is a little rough, but you could pass through. Now the 1st ave through 50 something ave is okay, try not to get confused with the street numbers, there are streets and Ave's on the road signs, very confusing. But it's easy if you know like the main streets. Camelback, Mcdowell, Scottsdale and so on. I can tell you this, North Phoenix is way Nice, North east is nice, You may want to even stay in Paradise Valley, but the cost is way high then anywhere in the metro, the average home range from $600,000 and up. Scottsdale is laid back, but lots of snotty people and rich people, you have to have money for that place. Tempe is ASU country and all about Pat Tillman and not anything else which is okay, because he was a hero. Glendale sucks, I wouldn't move there. On NFL gameday, traffic is crazy, Take it from me, I played in the stadium. Gleandale has lots of crime, and the city of Phoenix does to. Chandler is wonderful, Gilbert is great, Mesa is okay, but it's up and down. Downtown Phoenix YUCK. Vanburen, YEAH! Try to stay away from that area. Any sign with a president last name, don't hang around. Peoria is great for spring training, but some parts are a little rough. Avondale is not bad, Buckeye is okay, Tolleson is being worked on a lot. If you want a house, Pinal County or the city of Maricopa has cheap homes and rent range between $700 to $1000 a month. Not bad for huge homes, but avoid 2 story homes in Arizona. They are cheap for a reason. NOBODY WANTS TO LIVE IN THEM. It cost a lot to keep them cool in the summer. The heat is very extreme in Arizona and is one of the hottest states in America. Heat range between 99 to 125 degrees. So be alert of high over priced home scams in the Metro, because you may be paying a low rent, but you will end up paying extra for the energy bills. So if your rent is 700 a month, you may be paying $1,000 or more total. You not saving any money if you do that. But anyway, I know from experience, I live in Chandler and a very nice 1 bedroom is $999 a month and after bills, $1200 a month.

What a ridiculous post! We used to live in the Arrowhead Ranch section of Glendale and it was extremely safe with one of the highest rated school districts (Deer Valley) in the Phoenix Metro. "Chandler is wonderful"...there are parts of Chandler that actually have much higher crime statistics than some areas in some of the cities that you have trashed, and with no explanation at all.

Stereotype and generalize much?

Old 01-12-2013, 07:26 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Quote:
This is the most informative post for someone moving to a new area that I have ever read on CD, nice work!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:56 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
This is the most informative post for someone moving to a new area that I have ever read on CD, nice work!
If you share that poster's tendency to stereotype and overgeneralize, then yes, you'd consider it informative. New posters who don't live here or know the area should take such posts with a grain of salt.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 PM

681 posts, read 1,560,724 times
Quote:
When you have a large population of hispanics and the border is Mexico, your azz better have a pistol in the car with you.
All I can say is... Really???? Aside from the overt racism, I can honestly tell you that I drive around the Phoenix metro area without a "pistol" in my car and I have never felt the need to have one (although as a Canadian, I couldn't legally own one anyway

Quote:
Scottsdale is laid back, but lots of snotty people and rich people, you have to have money for that place.
A wee bit confusing. Not sure how the city can be laid back, yet you claim there are lots of snotty people - how is that laid back? Also this statement is just not true. Lots of rich people? maybe. Snotty? not in my experience.

Quote:
Glendale sucks, I wouldn't move there. On NFL gameday, traffic is crazy, Take it from me, I played in the stadium. Gleandale has lots of crime, and the city of Phoenix does to.
Since you took the time to edit your post for spelling errors, you should know you missed a few. Glendale and the correct word is "too" not "to". Also, you might want to break your thoughts into paragraphs for future posts - makes it easier to read. Regardless... this statement is a gross and unjustified generalization. As canudigit pointed out - there are large parts of Glendale that are very desirable areas to live. No need to fear Glendale. I find it funny that you say Avondale is nice - yet my friends who rented a house in Avondale heard gunshots twice during their month long vacation... would I say that all of Avondale has lots of crime based on this? No, because that would be a generalization.

Quote:
Downtown Phoenix YUCK.
Downtown Phoenix may not be the most happening place in the metro area, but I don't think YUCK is appropriate. I have stayed downtown for a conference as well as visited the science centre with my daughter - I found the downtown area to be clean and safe. Although your point about Van Buren is well taken - not sure how long that particular street is, but I have yet to find a nice part!

Quote:
but avoid 2 story homes in Arizona. They are cheap for a reason. NOBODY WANTS TO LIVE IN THEM. It cost a lot to keep them cool in the summer.
As a single person, you may not want to live in a 2 story home - but saying that nobody wants to live in them is just incorrect. It MAY cost more to cool an older, less well insulated one story home than a two story home. Generalizations are really of no benefit to anyone.

For the OP - I know this isn't that helpful, but I hope you understand that it's hard to make sweeping generalizations about any part of the Phoenix metro area. I have driven around Maryvale, attended a ball game there and I understand that it certainly isn't high on the desired places to live list... but I certainly never felt scared or threatened. I probably wouldn't take a night time stroll there - so my advice would be to leave your exploration of the city to the daylight hours and try not to venture into un-charted territory at night time!

Old 01-13-2013, 05:12 AM

216 posts, read 589,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Which part? You better have a pistol??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area