Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times

Advertisements

Besides all the other miseries the recession brought an influx of Canadian seasonal owners to my neighborhood. I have one nearby and my friends down the street do as well. We both agree: they are rude, loud, and generally obnoxious. They live in our residential areas like they are at some resort. They sit on the patio all night drinking, playing amplified music and using foul language that would embarrass a sailor. They park their vehicles on the streets in defiance of HOA rules. The people who work in local businesses say they are demanding, rude, and never tip.

So to all the Canadians who are living here or considering a move seasonally - how about showing some consideration for your hosts? We need to work, so we have to sleep at night. We have kids so we could live with out the foul language. We don't want our neighborhood to look like a parking lot - use the garage.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:29 AM

606 posts, read 1,606,508 times
I have never had any issues with any Canadians, but I will say that I'm glad that Mexicans are not the focal point of this post.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,865 times
Strange. I've never had a bad encounter with a Canadian snowbird. They always seem to be among the most polite and courteous people I come across.

The same statements could easily apply to any 'bad neighbor' that moved into a neighborhood. These statements do not apply specifically to Canadians, and could easily apply to a midwestern snowbird, or even someone who moved from across town!

Old 01-20-2013, 09:37 AM

384 posts, read 596,256 times
If you think that is bad, wait until the Eskimo's start moving in, the streets will be littered with discarded whale blubber and animal pelt hats will be the fashion norm.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:45 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,797 times
How about that.........Those Canadians sound just like the Americans that we get up here in Ontario, every summer. Loud rude and impolite.

I think I detect a bit of jealousy in your tone. Could it be that you are offended that the Canadians are having fun, while you are still obligated to go to work ? Their dollars are just as good as yours, and I am sure thay are paying their fair share of property taxes, just as you do. And school taxes, but they probbably don't have school age kids, do they ?

Provided that they aren't having virgin sacrifices on their front lawn, your complaints are minute. Be glad it isn't a Outlaws Motorcycle club house. Or a crack dealer's.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times
Most Canadians I've met have been beyond nice. Terrible drivers though. Getting stuck behind an Alberta plate is a slow-go.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:05 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,894,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
How about that.........Those Canadians sound just like the Americans that we get up here in Ontario, every summer. Loud rude and impolite.

I think I detect a bit of jealousy in your tone. Could it be that you are offended that the Canadians are having fun, while you are still obligated to go to work ? Their dollars are just as good as yours, and I am sure thay are paying their fair share of property taxes, just as you do. And school taxes, but they probbably don't have school age kids, do they ?

Provided that they aren't having virgin sacrifices on their front lawn, your complaints are minute. Be glad it isn't a Outlaws Motorcycle club house. Or a crack dealer's.

Jim B

Toronto.
Can you provide proof that they aren't?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:11 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,231,963 times
Have you spoken to them? I'm Canadian and really find this hard to believe. I'm probably one of the quietest people in my neighborhood, and am polite and beyond respectful to those around me.

If what you're saying is true, it sounds like they are redneck types (which I suppose exist everywhere) and it sounds like maybe they have visitors over (when they make all this noise and park in the wrong places etc) but that behavior is still unacceptable. Are there not any bylaws or ordinances for your area? If so, I'd call the cops on any loud partying, and the HOA on any broken rules. I'm sure that will nip it in the bud fast. Maybe they don't realize how far the noise is travelling - in moist humid climates, noise doesn't travel nearly as far as it does in the dry, arid climate.

One other possiblity is that they've rented the place out (and inadvertently got a bunch of partiers for renters).

PS I tip 20% (sometimes more) at restaurants. In Canada, we don't generally tip for other services, like Americans do, so they may need some education on that. After being down here for a winter, I tried to tip my massage therapist back in Canada and she thought I'd lost my mind and she wouldn't take it - they just charge what they want to receive and don't expect any more.. Each country is different and it takes time to get used to another. And yes we do get (and have always had) a huge influx of Americans in the summer who are not used to how we do things.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:21 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Have you spoken to them? I'm Canadian and really find this hard to believe. I'm probably one of the quietest people in my neighborhood, and am polite and beyond respectful to those around me.

If what you're saying is true, it sounds like they are redneck types (which I suppose exist everywhere) and it sounds like maybe they have visitors over (when they make all this noise and park in the wrong places etc) but that behavior is still unacceptable. Are there not any bylaws or ordinances for your area? If so, I'd call the cops on any loud partying, and the HOA on any broken rules. I'm sure that will, nip it in the bud fast. Maybe they don't realize how far the noise is travelling - in moist humid climate noise doesn't travel nearly as far as it does in the dry, arid climate.

One other possiblity is that they've rented the place out (and inadvertently got a bunch of partiers for renters).
Yes, I have talked to them - about the floodlights they placed all over their yard (security worries) that shine in all the neighbors homes. They were reasonable about it and have made some attempt to turn them off by midnight. I did not mention the constant "F" word at full volume. I don't want to complain too much and be a bad neighbor myself. There is a bit of live and let live, of course. They do have visitors and this is where the cars come from.

I don't think they are rednecks, too old and appear to have way too much money for that (80 inch big screen on the back patio for example) and they are the owners. They are just partying like it is 1999 - like you might expect people to on vacation. But my point is that this is not a vacation resort - it is a residential area. They are sort of "wearing down" of late, so maybe the worst is behind us. At any rate, they leave in a couple months they said and we go back to having the best neighbor of all - the one who lives somewhere else.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,743 times
Ponderosa,

I think you must have gotten a very rare Canadian for a neighbor. I have met numerous Canadians and have found them to be polite, respectful, friendly, honest and for sure the cleanest people I've ever met. On both sides of the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area