Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 5,221 times

Advertisements

The desert ridge shopping area is packed with ammenities, but is that *it*? Is living in the Desert Ridge area (N. Phoenix / N. Scottsdale) like living in a small town, or is living N. of the 101 the same as living S. of the 101?

I am comparing living in the Horizon HS area vs. the Pinnacle HS area for my daughter, who will be starting her freshman year this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
I like the area around Horizon. Nice homes, a bit greener than further north. Desert Ridge isn't in the boonies, I just think it's nicer living a little further south and you just go to work up at DR.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:01 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
It's not really the boonies and everything you'd need is nearby. It has quick access to the 101 so it's fairly decent location IMO. It is a bit of a drive to Old Town and Central PHX, but for suburban living, it's a solid area.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:16 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
you'll need a car for anything there - even a quick gallon of milk....a somewhat soul-less example of urban sprawl.....no, not in the boonies - anymore....

sorry to be a grump on this, but I drove thru there a few weeks ago and was much dismayed at the utter lack of personality within the subdivisions and the Anytown, USA, feel of the shopping center, whimsically calling itself a "Marketplace"

Old 06-07-2013, 03:21 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Desert Ridge is just a developed area of No. Phoenix far far away from the boonies. It's a very nice area and encompasses about everything a person would want in a community.
If you haven't done so here is some info on the area. Desert Ridge area encompasses what area of no phoenix - Google Maps

Old 06-09-2013, 10:33 PM

391 posts, read 787,980 times
Personally, I love Desert Ridge. We would have bought there if our offers had worked. The one issue I had with it was the traffic. Its horrible! We stayed there for about a month while looking and the traffic got to me after awhile.
I made it to the airport from there in 20 minutes down 51 and it was an easy drive. The 101 is right there so easy to get around.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:21 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,998,264 times
I'm going to be the one who goes against the majority, as usual:

Desert Ridge has everything you need as far as the day to day things are concerned.

However, IF you need to reach the other parts of the valley, then you realize that the area is pretty isolated and on the northern edge of town. Is it a long commute to GET to the other parts of the valley? That depends on your tolerance, but it is NOT centrally located.

Boonies? Maybe not. Edge of town? Yeah.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:37 AM

428 posts, read 5,884,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
I'm going to be the one who goes against the majority, as usual:

Desert Ridge has everything you need as far as the day to day things are concerned.

However, IF you need to reach the other parts of the valley, then you realize that the area is pretty isolated and on the northern edge of town. Is it a long commute to GET to the other parts of the valley? That depends on your tolerance, but it is NOT centrally located.

Boonies? Maybe not. Edge of town? Yeah.
It has it's perks being close to North Scottsdale. Edge of town? Not really . I'm sure someone living here will have no need or desire to travel to mesa, chandler, gilbert, avondale, etc... on a regular basis. Pretty much everything you need will be in Scottsdale 10 minutes away and downtown Phx/downtown Scottsdale are 30 minutes away.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:45 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,005 times
Yeah I'd say it's no more in the boonies than Gilbert or parts of Chandler - even East Mesa. In fact, I'd say it's less so. You're still close to some world class shopping and amenities, with easy access to anywhere in Phoenix metro from the 101, 51, or 17, and not too far to get north and escape the heat up I-17.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:02 PM

102 posts, read 414,611 times
You will prefer Desert Ridge or Horizon over the Pinnacle area. Desert Ridge is a happening area very convenient to shopping, activities and freeway arteries. It is definitely not the boonies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area