Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:11 PM

872 posts, read 1,000,961 times

Advertisements

By any other name? New branding for East Valley region to be announced
What do you guys think of this? What other names could there be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 06:52 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,721,917 times
Since we are the more established valley, I'd say "The Greater Salt River Valley" . The Salt River's mouth is just west of Phoenix anyhow so that distinguishes us from those people hugging the Gila west of Phoenix.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:13 PM

81 posts, read 214,851 times
Why does the East Valley need another special name? It's really not that important outside of metro Phoenix, certainly not enough to need its own new "brand." Call it the East Valley, or the eastern suburbs of Phoenix for outsiders.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 PM

1,112 posts, read 4,001,700 times
Branding is important, even if a bit misguided when money could be spent on other things. A distinct brand and image is a good economic tool for a region, if done correctly.

Personally, I'm all for it. We need to get more creative in our naming of things. Looking at Greater Los Angeles in comparison - names like the Southland, Inland Empire, and "The OC" are all well known and recognized because they're branded well. West Valley and East Valley are nondescript and vanilla.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. I wonder if the word "valley" will even be in the name. I would like to see the west valley follow suit. If you guys get the "Salt River Valley" term (which really does apply to the whole of Phoenix, historically), then I claim "Agua Fria Valley" for the west side.

On an interesting side note, I was looking through the powerpoint for the proposed PhoenixMart in Casa Grande. There's a thread about it on here somewhere. BUT, they had a map of the AZ Sun Corridor that I had never seen before, designating separate region names. The area north of Phoenix being called "Highlands", the area south of Tucson known as South County and such. This could easily play into reshaping Phoenix as the Sun Corridor.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:55 PM

81 posts, read 214,851 times
This is just an effort to fragment metro Phoenix even further. Who would call the East Valley the Salt River Valley? That is a lot to say when you just live in Mesa.

Look at San Francisco. The entire region branded the "Bay Area." The East Bay refers to Oakland, Berkeley, Vallejo, Alameda, Hayward, etc. The North Bay refers to Marin County cities/towns. The South Bay refers to San Jose, Sunnyvale, etc. Notice there are no special names given to any area. Yet this area is one of the most important metropolitan areas of the country. People know about San Francisco, they know about Oakland and they know about San Jose. No need to come up with special branding to fragment the metropolitan area.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,692,603 times
valle al este?

valle izquierdo?

The Valley of The Church of Latter Day Saints?

Utah South?

Not Phoenix?

On The Way To Tucson?

San Tan Chandler Mesa Gilbert Junction?

Salt River Territories?

Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Since we are the more established valley, I'd say "The Greater Salt River Valley" . The Salt River's mouth is just west of Phoenix anyhow so that distinguishes us from those people hugging the Gila west of Phoenix.
I hope they make it in English and not Valle de Rio Salado or some such.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
valle al este?

valle izquierdo?

The Valley of The Church of Latter Day Saints?

Utah South?

Not Phoenix?

On The Way To Tucson?

San Tan Chandler Mesa Gilbert Junction?

Salt River Territories?
I like the LDS hook, maybe Saints Valley. Also AJ Gateway has a certain ring to it.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
Branding is important, even if a bit misguided when money could be spent on other things. A distinct brand and image is a good economic tool for a region, if done correctly.

Personally, I'm all for it. We need to get more creative in our naming of things. Looking at Greater Los Angeles in comparison - names like the Southland, Inland Empire, and "The OC" are all well known and recognized because they're branded well. West Valley and East Valley are nondescript and vanilla.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. I wonder if the word "valley" will even be in the name. I would like to see the west valley follow suit. If you guys get the "Salt River Valley" term (which really does apply to the whole of Phoenix, historically), then I claim "Agua Fria Valley" for the west side.

On an interesting side note, I was looking through the powerpoint for the proposed PhoenixMart in Casa Grande. There's a thread about it on here somewhere. BUT, they had a map of the AZ Sun Corridor that I had never seen before, designating separate region names. The area north of Phoenix being called "Highlands", the area south of Tucson known as South County and such. This could easily play into reshaping Phoenix as the Sun Corridor.
They have been trying to have their "Red Mountain" county out there for years so maybe it will be something like Red Mountain.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:21 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,701,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post

Not Phoenix?
This made me laugh.. so many here seem to want to distance themselves from Phoenix.. to most of the world Arizona has perhaps *two* cities that they can remember.. Tombstone and Phoenix.. or perhaps Scottsdale and Phoenix.. your average guy in North Dakota or Ohio isn't going to know where Gilbert is, and the east valley isn't interesting enough (by itself) that it will ever become a household name , even if a super-sparkly "catchy" name is invented.

Maybe we should just re-name the highways to attract more attention to ourselves.. one of my real-estate professors called the 101 "the wheel of death".. that seems catchy..

The road to Yuma could be renamed in honor of our biggest import - pot.. something like "reefer roadway"..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area