Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 06:22 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgray9 View Post
I remember when the 51 was first opened and it wasn't even a full-fledged freeway, with a 50 mph speed limit. They badly underestimated how much use it would get and they were expanding and upgrading it pretty quickly after it opened. That said, I'm not sure what good it would do to expand the 202 westbound piece unless you did a major expansion all the way through central Phoenix. The inner loop area gets pretty clogged, so putting more 202 westbound capacity into that area would not solve much of anything. And I'm someone who drives on the 202 Red Mountain both ways each day.
Today's commute home was worse than ever, the 202 Loop was a total standstill from SR 143 on westward.

The I-10 inner loop wasn't any better, it seemed like I sat in traffic for over an hour this afternoon.

Last edited by Java Jolt; 03-20-2014 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: spelling correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 06:30 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I work in transportation and have first hand experience. The overwhelming share of transportation funding that goes into our transportation system are federal dollars. Transportation is funded through the collection of a gas tax into the Highway Trust Fund and redistribution back to the states. Because of the recession people have driven less which has caused a rapid decline in gas tax revenue. Additionally, more fuel efficient cars cause people not to have to fill up as often, which has really hit gas tax revenues hard. Unlike popular belief gas tax revenue doesn't go up when gas prices go up since the tax is a fixed amount per gallon and not a percentage of the price per gallon. Couple all that with rising highway construction prices and you end up with the situation we're in today where the Highway Trust Fund balance is supposed to completely run out of money by September. Work most states relying on the federal government for the lion's share of their transportation dollars, naturally they have been forced to cut back on their transportation programs.

The state might be in a surplus, but without the reliable federal crutch that the state has had for its transportation funding, the state has no choice but to cut back unless it can find money to supplement the loss of federal money. Some states have responded by exploring toll roads while others have put forth local tax referendums to go towards transportation funding. The Phoenix area currently has additional regional funding due to the voter approval of Proposition 400. That is how we have been able to have such an aggressive freeway expansion program that we wouldn't have had otherwise. People here are clearly against toll roads and a statewide tax to provide additional transportation dollars for the state is not on the table either, so we're basically stuck in the position we're in until the federal situation changes (increase in gas tax or alternative revenue source) and/or the state changes it's finding structure.
Do you work for the state transportation department?

If so do you have any insight on what's going to become of the I-10 median? This could easily hold a couple extra lanes each way from the 101 Loop all the way to the SR 51 interchange for a little traffic relief.

I heard it could be used for a future rail project but I think a widening project would be a better use and not as expensive.

Do you know when those reliever freeway routes for the southwest valley could break ground? I think those would help ease the I-10 and 202 traffic crush.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:44 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Do you work for the state transportation department?

If so do you have any insight on what's going to become of the I-10 median? This could easily hold a couple extra lanes each way from the 101 Loop all the way to the SR 51 interchange for a little traffic relief.

I heard it could be used for a future rail project but I think a widening project would be a better use and not as expensive.

Do you know when those reliever freeway routes for the southwest valley could break ground? I think those would help ease the I-10 and 202 traffic crush.
I believe that the plan for the I-10 median was a light rail extension and/or a BRT (bus rapid transit) line. Appearently, there is a BRT station (or station shell) under Central in the middle of the tunnel.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:44 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
You have never been outside the US???
Traffic runs pretty darn good here compared with most countries.
This is true but you dont really need a care in most major european cities. Sister lived in Munich and never even owned a car, she just walked or rode her bicycle. Try getting away without owning a car in most American cities and see how that works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area