Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 07:08 PM

25 posts, read 38,060 times

Advertisements

I really like North Scottsdale, but the atmosphere of Old Town cannot be beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
I heard somewhere that Old Town Scottsdale is like a Southwest version of Miami's South Beach. Can't remember where I found that editorial comment ... maybe it was even here on this forum, but with the buzzing nightlife, high quality hotels & restaurants, and even a fair share of celebrities considering Scottsdale as one of their destinations, I tend to agree. The only thing missing is the beach & the ocean.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:15 PM

45 posts, read 96,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I heard somewhere that Old Town Scottsdale is like a Southwest version of Miami's South Beach. Can't remember where I found that editorial comment ... maybe it was even here on this forum, but with the buzzing nightlife, high quality hotels & restaurants, and even a fair share of celebrities considering Scottsdale as one of their destinations, I tend to agree. The only thing missing is the beach & the ocean.
Old Town Scottsdale reminds me more of Miracle Mile in Coral Gables and CocoWalk in Coconut Grove than Miami Beach.

Overall, Scottsdale is more akin to Boca Raton than Miami Beach because it's considerably less diverse, international, and well-known than Miami Beach. Like Boca, Scottsdale is newer, cleaner, safer, and less hectic than Miami Beach, which has a very pervasive seedy element and ghetto vibe to it that both Scottsdale and Boca lack. Furthermore, Scottsdale is home to many upscale chain restaurants and a huge upscale shopping mall. Scottsdale Fashion Square and Town Center at Boca Raton are very similar shopping malls while Scottsdale Quarter and Kierland Commons remind me of newer, more modern versions of Mizner Park. Lastly, both Scottsdale and Boca are family-friendly, home to large Jewish populations, and almost everyone you encounter in both cities speaks English.

As an aside, I think that Scottsdale is slightly flashier and more pretentious than Boca because I feel as though Californians are flashier and more pretentious than New Yorkers and New Jerseyans. It's definitely more hipster and trendier than Boca because of the strong California vibe. That being said, Scottsdale seems slightly less seasonal and more family-oriented than Boca and most other wealthy communities in Florida. It doesn't really seem to attract big money like Boca, Jupiter, Naples, etc. because the Phoenix area is a less desirable place to live for those with very deep pockets than Southeast and Southwest Florida.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:01 AM

428 posts, read 5,884,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheZona View Post
Old Town Scottsdale reminds me more of Miracle Mile in Coral Gables and CocoWalk in Coconut Grove than Miami Beach.

Overall, Scottsdale is more akin to Boca Raton than Miami Beach because it's considerably less diverse, international, and well-known than Miami Beach. Like Boca, Scottsdale is newer, cleaner, safer, and less hectic than Miami Beach, which has a very pervasive seedy element and ghetto vibe to it that both Scottsdale and Boca lack. Furthermore, Scottsdale is home to many upscale chain restaurants and a huge upscale shopping mall. Scottsdale Fashion Square and Town Center at Boca Raton are very similar shopping malls while Scottsdale Quarter and Kierland Commons remind me of newer, more modern versions of Mizner Park. Lastly, both Scottsdale and Boca are family-friendly, home to large Jewish populations, and almost everyone you encounter in both cities speaks English.

As an aside, I think that Scottsdale is slightly flashier and more pretentious than Boca because I feel as though Californians are flashier and more pretentious than New Yorkers and New Jerseyans. It's definitely more hipster and trendier than Boca because of the strong California vibe. That being said, Scottsdale seems slightly less seasonal and more family-oriented than Boca and most other wealthy communities in Florida. It doesn't really seem to attract big money like Boca, Jupiter, Naples, etc. because the Phoenix area is a less desirable place to live for those with very deep pockets than Southeast and Southwest Florida.
I agree about everything! I almost moved to Boca last year and lived there in the early 90s. Very nice place to live.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:51 PM

85 posts, read 317,008 times
Although Old Town lacks good Cuban sandwiches...like Paseo's in the Seattle area.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:10 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,079,872 times
I would choose Old Town, too, and not only because it would be a closer commute to me. I work in North Scottsdale now and it's mostly just bland office parks mixed in with typical chain restaurants and stores. Not bad but you definitely have to drive for lunch whereas in Old Town I'd be able to walk to multiple places. Also, if you don't live close to work then taking the 101 is a bear and you'd most likely have to take that if you worked in N. Scottsdale since most of the office parks are along the 101.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:04 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,262,172 times
Only a masochist would want to work in North Scottsdale. Probably the most inaccessible area of the Valley and you're either forced into a long commute or overpaying for rent to live closeby your employer.

North Scottsdale is a case study of senseless segregation. Let's have a bunch of good paying jobs in a distant, exclusive area right next to where the business owners live and stick it to the employees. Never mind that you had to overpay to get people applying for these jobs to begin with. Lolz

Old 10-05-2017, 03:16 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Only a masochist would want to work in North Scottsdale. Probably the most inaccessible area of the Valley and you're either forced into a long commute or overpaying for rent to live closeby your employer.

North Scottsdale is a case study of senseless segregation. Let's have a bunch of good paying jobs in a distant, exclusive area right next to where the business owners live and stick it to the employees. Never mind that you had to overpay to get people applying for these jobs to begin with. Lolz
This thread is four years old. If the OP actually had a choice, and the question was not completely hypothetical, I assume the choice was made long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area