Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 05:06 PM

25 posts, read 46,488 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Phoenix and will not be bringing our vehicle but I will need one to get to work. I checked out Phoenix car rental and the are charging $429 plus tax for a month rental. My credit is shot because I lost my job here, hence the move to Phoenix for a new job. I looked on craigslist and found a million places to buy with bad credit but was looking for some referrals to where to go. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 12:09 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,983,693 times
DO NOT rent from Phoenix car rental (aka Saban's Rent a car)! Read their reviews online they have the worst reputation by far of any rental car company in the Phoenix area. Are you selling your car before you move here? If so I would just pay cash for something that will get you from point a to point b until I could afford something a little better. Bad credit sucks and it obviously limits your options when buying a vehicle. Buy here pay here is a total rip off and I would only use them as a last resort if I absolutely had to. I mean there are quite a few reputable dealers that will try and work with you but no one is going to finance you because well you're currently unemployed and it doesn't sound like you have a sizeable down payment so I think paying cash for a beater is your best option at the moment. Good luck!

Old 07-27-2013, 08:05 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,907,287 times
I'd agree. Pay cash for a beater if you can. If not, DriveTime would be my first stop, then CactusJacks. (I've never had to use either one, but I've heard this information from friends.)

Old 07-27-2013, 08:37 AM

975 posts, read 1,407,358 times
You also can get some reliable basic transportation (if you look in the right places) on Craigs List.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:36 AM

890 posts, read 2,283,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
DO NOT rent from Phoenix car rental (aka Saban's Rent a car)! Read their reviews online they have the worst reputation by far of any rental car company in the Phoenix area.

Yes, my friend rented a car for a week without checking them out first and they charged her twice for the week. Would not refund her money when she called and even after threatening legal action they only refunded part of what they overcharged her.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:20 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,957,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
Yes, my friend rented a car for a week without checking them out first and they charged her twice for the week. Would not refund her money when she called and even after threatening legal action they only refunded part of what they overcharged her.
Why didn't she dispute the charge with her credit card company?

Old 07-27-2013, 10:39 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,712,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Why didn't she dispute the charge with her credit card company?
bad credit = debit card vs credit card (different chargeback rules)??

I know amex will usually go to the mat for you on a chargeback, but with dinged credit amex may not be an option..

i'd look at craigslist first, and Public Surplus: Government Surplus Auctions next.. if decent & reliable transportation is the goal, you really cant beat a retired municipal crown vic. Phoenix's retired vehicles are often CNG powered, which is a hassle, but most outlying burbs have normal gasoline vehicles on public surplus that are cheap & well maintained, if a bit ugly.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:40 AM

35 posts, read 75,199 times
Earnhardt also has the Mr Ed program - I used them years ago and it was a life saver. Just call any of the Earnhardt dealers and ask for Mr Ed.

If you buy a beater, just make sure it's looked at by someone qualified first. I didn't and had to deal with bad batteries and overheating in the summertime.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:47 PM

890 posts, read 2,283,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
bad credit = debit card vs credit card (different chargeback rules)??

I know amex will usually go to the mat for you on a chargeback, but with dinged credit amex may not be an option.. .
Yes, she used a debit card. She's lucky to have gotten anything back.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:47 PM

517 posts, read 1,706,205 times
When we arrived car-less in Phoenix we went to the used car places in downtown Mesa. We got two beaters, each for around $2000. They're still running fine almost a year later.

However! ..... if we had to do it all over again we'd go to the Phoenix Park & Swap and buy from there. They always have a decent selection on display, and a wider choice is great when you're wanting to buy quickly. I haven't seen any better places to buy from yet.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area