Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 09:56 AM

92 posts, read 183,517 times

Advertisements

OK, so we have been here about 4 months now, having bought our house in Anthem (Parkside) after selling our house in Southern CA.

I am posting this for all the people who are pondering a move to Anthem, since the majority of people who reply to questions are usually so negative...

We (beyond our control, that just happened to be when our So CA house sold) moved here at the very end of June.

I was scared to death of how I would deal with the weather in AZ, especially moving in at that time of year. I read numerous posts on this forum, and was literally thinking I was going to be passing out from the heat on a daily basis, LOL.

Was also freaking out about the LONG drive everyone here talks about to get to anything, when you live SO FAR from civilization when living in Anthem.

Fast forward to today...

Weather, although hot when we moved here (driving here from CA, in the middle of the night, was around 95 degrees!) is FINE.

YES, during the 115 degree days/weeks when it averaged 110 but did reach 115 many times, it IS hot. No denying that. The thing is that you are only in it to go from the parking lot into a store, or into work, or into your house.

Truth be told, when it gets down to 105, it feels perfectly fine. As I said, I have been here 4 months now, and I am already at a point that when it is down to 90 degrees, I feel cool and comfortable. 90 in CA would make me feel like I was having a hot flash! LOL

Next, Anthem is NOT so "far away". My family and I get to just about anything, including restaurants, movies, and anything else imaginable, in 10 to 15 minutes.

Traffic is FINE. I work in Glendale...It takes me about 20 minutes to get there, and about the same to get back home to Anthem. My hours are 8:30 to 5:30. Traffic is normal, I have been able to go the speed limit each morning and each night, and have never been stuck in traffic. I was late ONE time, due to an accident on the 17.

The "feel" of Anthem? We LOVE it. I feel very safe, neighbors are friendly enough, but not nosy. Very peaceful, and YES, certainly close enough to the hustle and bustle of busier areas.

I do not feel like I am living "far away" at all.

Couldn't have made a better decision that to buy in Anthem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 AM

296 posts, read 364,493 times
I'm so glad that it is working out for you! We moved here a couple of months ago and my greatest fears were about the weather, but I've had the same experiences as you in that regard. I'm glad you didn't have a problem with it moving from California. The weather in many parts of that state are unusually pleasant.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:18 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
There was a time when Anthem really was far away from everything and the 17 was a parking lot most of the time. As you have noted, things have changed, but many of those old notions from bygone days linger on. People who haven't been in an area in years around here can be way out of touch but that doesn't always stop them from commenting. It is always best to pay the most attention to people, like you now, who actually live in an area when on these forums.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:39 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,956 times
Yay! So glad it worked out!
Also, you have fantastic shopping up there - the outlets!
Lake Pleasant is nearby too! Boating there is fun!
The weather will only continue to get better!
Welcome!

Old 10-05-2013, 11:50 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
I'm glad it's worked out so well for you! My opinion of the weather's the same as yours. I also believe attitude has a LOT to do with how well people adjust here. Even for those who decide it's not a great fit, having a positive (but realistic) point of view makes a huge difference. Welcome!

Old 10-05-2013, 08:13 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Yay! Another actual Anthem resident who confirms what I've been saying about Anthem for 15 months now!

Welcome!

Old 10-05-2013, 09:22 PM

56 posts, read 160,979 times
I have to agree We just moved to Anthem on July 1 from WA State and are also loving it. The weather has not been an issue at all..even the "record breaking" heat this summer. I commute to Sun City West to work (about 30 miles) and with the 303..the drive is very enjoyable and no traffic at all. I have also been on the 101 during rush hour and it was NOTHING compared to what we faced in Seattle almost any time of the day. The"hardest" thing for us is realizing we aren't going to be "stuck" in the house for the next 8 months for the winter..like we were in the PNW!

Old 10-06-2013, 07:28 AM

92 posts, read 183,517 times
Thankls to everyone that responded, and what a nice welcome! **to reiterate a point that snowbird made, this may sound ridiculous to some, but I actually LOVE my drive to and from work, because living here, what you mostly see is natural beauty, so I find the driving time relaxing also.

We drove to Flagstaff last weekend, and in just 2 hours, were in another world. Something similar to Mammoth or Big Bear. Towering emerald green trees all over, natural and stunning. We will be going there during winter to enjoy playing in the snow!

Anthem really is the best! Even close to a place that is not desert like at all.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:03 PM

148 posts, read 265,373 times
How does Surprise compare to Anthem ?
How do the schools compare ?,
Does the 303 run up to Anthem ?

20 mins is not bad to Glendale.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:12 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj-rk1 View Post
How does Surprise compare to Anthem ?
How do the schools compare ?,
Does the 303 run up to Anthem ?

20 mins is not bad to Glendale.
All I can comment on is the highway since I gave no knowledge about Surprise (although I've heard good things).

The 303 meets up with I17 a couple of exists south of the Anthem exits. It's a short drive north on 17 from the 303 to Anthem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area