Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 01:39 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times

Advertisements

I am heading to Phoenix in 2 weeks. I have searched the threads and see similar posts, but I am still confused at the process of registering my car when I get there. Forgive me if this repeats.

The ADot website is...well, not helpful. There is lots of info about renewals and personalized plates, but what about first time registrations?

Can someone tell me exactly what I need to do, step by step from emmissions testing to registration? I have never done emmissions testing, so I have no clue how that works. It is okay to talk to me like I am dumb, because about this...I am!

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-07-2013, 01:44 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
It's way to much to tell you about without knowing your specifics. Some cars need emissions testing and some don't (cars less than 5 years old I believe). Cost is going to depend on the age and type of vehicle you have.

Take your title and current registration to the MVD and they will get you all set up. If there is someone on the registration that isn't going to be there in person get the power of attorney form from the MVD website and have it signed and notarized and take it with you. I didn't do this and stood in line for a hour only to be told my wife needed to sign also and they sent me away.

There are also some third party MVD offices that won't have a wait like the state ran MVD and charge you a small extra fee to use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
It's way to much to tell you about without knowing your specifics. Some cars need emissions testing and some don't (cars less than 5 years old I believe). Cost is going to depend on the age and type of vehicle you have.

Take your title and current registration to the MVD and they will get you all set up. If there is someone on the registration that isn't going to be there in person get the power of attorney form from the MVD website and have it signed and notarized and take it with you. I didn't do this and stood in line for a hour only to be told my wife needed to sign also and they sent me away.

There are also some third party MVD offices that won't have a wait like the state ran MVD and charge you a small extra fee to use them.
I have a 2004 Beetle. Cost I am not concerned with. I just want to know the process. The ADOT website really needs some help for new residents, IMO.

Good to know about the registration. I will need to check to see if it is just my name on there.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I have a 2004 Beetle. Cost I am not concerned with. I just want to know the process. The ADOT website really needs some help for new residents, IMO.

Good to know about the registration. I will need to check to see if it is just my name on there.
You're going to need the emissions testing and I've never done that so I'll let someone else tell you how to go about doing that.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:55 PM

Was this the POA form?

http://www.azdot.gov/docs/mvd-forms-pubs/96-0441.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Old 11-07-2013, 01:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Go to an emissions testing site (here they are with current wait times: View Station Cams) and get a slip showing your car passed with flying colors. Take that, your title, current out of state registration (I think this is needed) and proof of insurance to an MVD office, pay the fee and get your new AZ plate and registration.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
That is not the form I used and the link to the form from their website isn't working. That form has something to do with taxes, the one I used didn't have any of that.

If you DM me your email address I'll send you the .pdf file I downloaded from the MVD website.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Go to an emissions testing site (here they are with current wait times: View Station Cams) and get a slip showing your car passed with flying colors. Take that, your title, current out of state registration (I think this is needed) and proof of insurance to an MVD office, pay the fee and get your new AZ plate and registration.
And if my title isn't available? (It is held by the loan company)

Old 11-07-2013, 02:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
And if my title isn't available? (It is held by the loan company)
You stumped me. No clue, sorry.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:06 PM

Thanks for trying.

I may end up having to call and ask...but at least now I know what questions to ask! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: