Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 04:04 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,383 times

Advertisements

To each his/her own. I'm not the only one that shares my viewpoint of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 PM

16 posts, read 27,634 times
Thanks for getting back and giving us an update…
We have been looking at houses without pools..I want one, she doesn't
If my house sells before we leave Illinois we will have a pool in AZ.

Tim, that must be why MidWesterners all wave at each other and know their neighbors..we don't lock ourselves in.
I guess in Arizona terms, we don't lock everyone else out.
That and the fact our yards are bigger than a cracker..My yard here is 43,000 sf and my Girlfriends is 17,000
I think that's enough for 12 yards in Arizona

I would rather know who I'm living next too so we can have a beer and watch each others backs when you're gone.
Everyone around here waves at each other and would shop to see if you needed a hand if you were along side the road.
Sure beats living next to someone for 10 or 20 years and never saying "Hi"
Oh, and BTW, we don't have HOA's here, we can figure out what is good for us on our own and a beer now and then is good.
Before I buy anything I will knock on the next door and see who lives there, if it's you please let me know and I'll look elsewhere.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:51 AM

I believe in and I am friendly with my neighbors. We talk when we're outside, and we look out for each other. I guess I'm just used to a certain level of decorum in a neighborhood. And this type of activity does not fit in well in certain neighborhoods. I noticed that some/most of you are from the Midwest. Maybe that's part of it, I'm not sure.

I am neither snobbish or wealthy. I live in a regular middle class neighborhood. I guess I have been fortunate up to this point, where I have not noticed this type of behavior in the areas I have lived in. Hopefully my luck continues.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 AM

640 posts, read 957,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaw1us View Post
Before I buy anything I will knock on the next door and see who lives there, if it's you please let me know and I'll look elsewhere.
This is a really good idea, even if you were intending it to be sarcastic. When we bought our house a few years ago, the neighbors across the street were outside in their garage(in an HOA neighborhood!). Our realtor encouraged us to go talk to them; we did and they gave us the "lay of the land" of the neighborhood. That sealed the deal for us. Highly recommend talking to the neighbors before you buy.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:20 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I believe in and I am friendly with my neighbors. We talk when we're outside, and we look out for each other. I guess I'm just used to a certain level of decorum in a neighborhood. And this type of activity does not fit in well in certain neighborhoods. I noticed that some/most of you are from the Midwest. Maybe that's part of it, I'm not sure.

I am neither snobbish or wealthy. I live in a regular middle class neighborhood. I guess I have been fortunate up to this point, where I have not noticed this type of behavior in the areas I have lived in. Hopefully my luck continues.
Why do you think having a beer in ones own garage is such a display of indecorum? I can't imagine any neighborhood from working class to high-brow where that would be an issue. Heck, last weekend I was at my buddy's gorgeous house in the DC Ranch County Club and we were having drinks in his courtyard (facing the street) and a neighbor couple just popped in and joined us. It was great! Maybe some sort of religious reason would cause one to take issue with this? I don't know.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:31 AM

No, I'm not religious.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 AM

681 posts, read 1,560,724 times
Lots of people drink beer (or wine) in their garage in our small, gated, HOA neighborhood too.

In fact, one of our neighbors has converted his garage into a "man cave" complete with a small bar and bar stools and it looks REALLY nice.

It's not like people are getting plastered, blaring loud music and working on broken down junky cars - it's just a way to interact with your neighbors and not isolate yourself behind your house and your block walls.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:21 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
It would make me feel uncomfortable too.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:38 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Drinking in the garage is normal where I came from. Parties are often set up in the garage with tables and chairs. It seems fine to me.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
It would make me feel uncomfortable too.
Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area