Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:56 AM

23 posts, read 38,723 times

Advertisements

Anyone have ideas where to get it? I'm assuming there are some good outdoor markets in Phoenix, or at least places where people sell what they grow direct to consumers without charging more because it's "organic"

I went to the outdoor market at the Citadelle in Glendale and the Saturday market at Northern and Central, but those were more like organic vegetables + candle vendors.

I find that typically the best and most reasonable places to buy produce are oriental markets. Any other ideas? Am also thinking of giving Bountiful Baskets a try if anyone wants to vouch for that.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 12:30 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
Don't know hat part of the valley you are in but we drive out to Tonopah Rob's Vegetable Farm on Saturday mornings for his all natural produce. Tonopah Rob's Vegetable Farm

His growing season is from November to July. He has a farm stand in Tonapah and has markets setup around the valley.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:34 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Superstition Ranch Market. Some of the stuff doesn't look pretty, but the prices and quality are great for IN SEASON local stuff.

Any of the Hispanic-oriented Pro's Ranch Markets are equal or better to the Asian Markets (though Lee Lee comes pretty darn close).

I was pretty happy with Sprouts when we lived there, and wish we had something like that here.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:35 PM

175 posts, read 491,655 times
We like to go to Schnepf Farms in Queen Creek. You pick your own vegetables from the garden and pay by the pound. Voted Best U-Pick Farm 2012 by Phoenix New Times.
http://www.schnepffarms.com/

Old 03-09-2014, 08:20 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
We stopped looking for such places after finding markets like Sprout's. We found the produce there is high quality/very fresh and they often have decent sales. Other supermarkets around the valley also say they deal with local growers. Even if it's from CA, it's a short trip via truck to your grocer. You are so close to the source out here that in terms of quality, we found the price/quality is hard to beat at places like Sprout's. Some of the best/freshest radishes I've ever are found in mainstream grocery stores, guessing some probably are sourced right from the fields that I see off loop 303....and carrots.....and potatoes...and watermelons....and onions....etc.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:09 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,222,366 times
I love Bountiful Baskets. I've picked up from a couple of locations in the east valley as well as Tucson and have always been very pleased. (I never got their "certified organic" baskets, which do cost more).

I also enjoy produce shopping at Sprouts. Their prices are usually very reasonable and their sale prices are excellent.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:59 PM

23 posts, read 38,723 times
Thanks very much everyone. These are some great suggestons. We did go to Sprouts and thought it was pretty good. We're close to one of the Tonapah remote locations, so we'll check that out for sure.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:38 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
Try to do Bountiful Baskets 1-2 times a month. Like how it is a crap shoot and you don't know what you are getting until you pick up your basket. Sort of fun trying to plan meals based on the veggies that you pick up.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:53 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,222,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Try to do Bountiful Baskets 1-2 times a month. Like how it is a crap shoot and you don't know what you are getting until you pick up your basket. Sort of fun trying to plan meals based on the veggies that you pick up.
My favorite part is when they put something in my basket I don't recognize and I have to hit the internet to identify and find recipes for, (i.e. jicama ).

Old 03-11-2014, 06:39 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
My favorite part is when they put something in my basket I don't recognize and I have to hit the internet to identify and find recipes for, (i.e. jicama ).
Or coming up with multiple recipes for something like brussel sprouts because they gave you three pounds of them in the basket and offered to give you another pound or two for free if you want them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area