Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:11 AM

22 posts, read 58,118 times

Advertisements

Here's what makes Phoenix such a fantastic city; if you'll pardon the sarcasm.

The irony of the laws. Any person can buy all the fireworks they want but they aren't allowed to shoot them off. Developers build homes with fireplaces but no one can enjoy a nice fire in the winter because of all the no-burn days.

The non-stop sprawl and annexation of everything in sight. Example, I chose to live in Anthem 12 years ago to enjoy the tranquility, and be away from the smog, traffic, and crime of Phoenix. Now it turns out Anthem is going to be swallowed up by the City of Phoenix by the year 2020. The sad thing is no one has the interest or the cajones to get involved and fight City Hall on this matter.

That leads to another wonderful aspect about Phoenix, the apathy among citizens. People just stand by and let the big kahunas in City Goverment do whatever they want whether it's right or wrong.

The lack of voter activism is a benefit too; they keep voting along party lines and electing the same self-interested corrupted politicians over and over. Examples, Joe Arpaio, Greg Stanton.

Trying to get around in any part of Phoenix is a joy; dealing with the passive-aggressive drivers who cut other people off if they're not driving 20 over the speed limit in order to save 5 seconds of time on their commute, then have to screech to a stop at the next red light.

I enjoy all the freeway drivers who ride on my bumper; they must not want to get by me because they don't pass to the next lane, they just tailgate for miles. Phoenix is for sure a hotbed for impatient and ill-tempered drivers.

I love the way Phoenix was honored for being the best-run City in the world. The City must be proud of all the fenced-off, empty dirt lots that pepper the downtown and business districts. It must be proud of all the older neighborhoods that were once nice and clean to become blighted eyesores and crime-infested slums.

It must be proud to have a Mayor and Council who kowtow to all the big-money special interests and ignore the will of the voters who elected them to office.

It must be proud to waste so much water on lawns and let water flow freely in the streets without giving any thought that it's in the middle of a dry desert.

Everyday on the news at least half of the segment is covering multiple shootings or some other awful crimes. It's not just in central, south, or west Phoenix either, it's all over. No place is safe; your next-door neighbor could easily be a drug dealer, serial killer, or gun-crazed lunatic; but no one would know about it until something happens because hardly anyone knows their neighbors.

Last but not least I enjoy Phoenix's location. Great planning to build such a big sprawling city in the middle of the Great Sonoran Desert where there are issues with water, and summer weather compares to Middle Eastern cities. It was so forward-thinking to convert the area from an agricultural-rich oasis to a cement and asphalt wasteland.

Those are a few reasons why Phoenix is truly a marvelous place; and why I'm even more proud to have the City annex Anthem in another 6 years. It's going to be great watching Anthem go from a quiet little enclave to just another sprawling mess.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:28 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
I think you're off on many of your observations, that doesn't sound like the Phoenix I live in.

Your first point for example...fireplaces built by current "developers" are natural gas and not wood burning so there are no restrictions on their use. I'm sure you knew that though.

I'm not going to bother with the rest but sounds like you need to find another place to live.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:34 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem man View Post
The lack of voter activism is a benefit too; they keep voting along party lines and electing the same self-interested corrupted politicians over and over. Examples, Joe Arpaio, Greg Stanton.
?? The list of things that are wrong with Arpaio is huge and well documented, but corruption is not really one of them. You can make the point that these folks were elected because of party affiliations, but corruption? Stanton was just elected for the first time two years ago. I haven't heard of accusations of corruption. Maybe you use the word corruption to describe anything that you disagree with.

cor·rup·tion
kəˈrəpSHən
noun
1. dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:55 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Here's what makes Phoenix such a fantastic city; if you'll pardon the sarcasm.
Well, there goes your potential career with the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce. Let's hope you find a new place to live soon that meets or exceeds your expectations. Bitterness can certainly be destructive to your overall health.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:00 PM

872 posts, read 999,724 times
Give me strength not to write anything here that will get me banned in response to this mess

Plain and simple, if you don't like it, LEAVE. No one is forcing you to stay here. Quit your job, pack up and go if it's causing you this much misery

Old 01-10-2014, 12:02 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
LOL this guy thought he couldn't use his gas fireplace on no burn days? How about the gas cooktop?

Old 01-10-2014, 12:08 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Actually, this poster has simply taken the subject matter of all his prior posts, added some complaints, and rolled them into his own new thread.

No place is for everyone, and some are unhappy no matter where.. Obviously Anthem/Phoenix is not for you. Best of luck in your next location, whereever that may be.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:59 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
I LOVE rants like this. I suggest the OP apply to the government for a permit to live in a state that is more to his liking. If such permission is granted, maybe he will be much happier in another place. All hail the Great Republic!

Old 01-10-2014, 01:04 PM

22 posts, read 58,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Give me strength not to write anything here that will get me banned in response to this mess

Plain and simple, if you don't like it, LEAVE. No one is forcing you to stay here. Quit your job, pack up and go if it's causing you this much misery

I thought I did leave Phoenix, that's why I live in Anthem. Close enough to Phoenix without being right in the City but that is changing too fast.

The tranquility as I know it will not last with the annexation coming; and no one has the interest to stop it from happening, that's the unfortunate part. Well that and blunt immature response posts like yours.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:10 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
I thought I did leave Phoenix, that's why I live in Anthem. Close enough to Phoenix without being right in the City but that is changing too fast.
Change and growth are inevitable parts of life. To deny these things is to set yourself for constant disappointment and bitterness. A metro area of over four million people will not stop growing because you wish it so. That's unrealistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area