Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:23 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Do you know the difference between race and ethnicity? Mexicans are classified as Hispanics which is a term used for people whose principal language is Spanish. However they are Caucasian by race.
They're considered "white Hispanic," which is a separate category from "white alone," according to the U.S. Census bureau. So, they are a subset of "white." So basically, there are whites from Hispanic descent and whites from European decent.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:23 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Welcome to Arizona! You and Elle Tea both. I've followed both of your posts for a long time and am glad that you finally made it and that all is going well. Home is what you make it and I know you two will do just great!

Thank you! I love it here! LOVE it. So beautiful, and I found a great job (had 3 job offers after about 10 days) for a company I am really excited about. No culture shock, either. I appreciate diversity.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:30 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Thank you! I love it here! LOVE it. So beautiful, and I found a great job (had 3 job offers after about 10 days) for a company I am really excited about. No culture shock, either. I appreciate diversity.
I'm so glad! If I'm not mistaken you worked pretty hard to find your job and had other folks working FOR you. Smart girl. You didn't sit and wait for a job to come to you! I've lived a lot of different places and I'm not sure I've ever suffered from "culture shock". Always looked at it as a big adventure and curious about what was there. I hope you enjoy Phoenix, and Arizona, for years to come. Actually, seeing as how you post so much in the Las Vegas forum I really thought that's where you'd end up! lol

Old 01-14-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I'm so glad! If I'm not mistaken you worked pretty hard to find your job and had other folks working FOR you. Smart girl. You didn't sit and wait for a job to come to you! I've lived a lot of different places and I'm not sure I've ever suffered from "culture shock". Always looked at it as a big adventure and curious about what was there. I hope you enjoy Phoenix, and Arizona, for years to come. Actually, seeing as how you post so much in the Las Vegas forum I really thought that's where you'd end up! lol
Yes, I had a ton of recruiters doing my job search for me, so many I practically needed a spreadsheet to keep them organized. I had planned on going to Vegas, but the job market there is just so weak and it is colder there in the winter. (I visited last December and that clinched it! BRRRR) So, I chose Phoenix, and I am so glad I did. It was seriously such a smooth transition, it is amazing! I never felt anything but at home here, which is amazing considering I never even visited before I got here.

To the OP, you have to have an open mind before you make a drastic move, period. Is it different here than where I came from? VASTLY. Is that bad? Nope. (now if my boyfriend could just get here! )

Old 01-14-2014, 08:18 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,916 times
The way in which the OP feeds into stereotypes about places outside of his little bubble in Connecticut is alarming, but common among New Englanders.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
The way in which the OP feeds into stereotypes about places outside of his little bubble in Connecticut is alarming, but common among New Englanders.
....well that's kind of rude to say

Is that what people in their isolated Phoenix metro area think of New Englanders? Sounds like stereotyping, if you ask me.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 PM

Anyway, I think the biggest impediment for me wanting to move long distance in general is the unfortunate fact that I won't be able to see or visit my family up in New England too often. How many weeks of vacation do most white collar financial/accounting jobs give in the PHX area? Right now I get about 5 weeks and love it. Can I expect to get at least 3-4 weeks at a job in PHX?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:19 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
How many weeks of vacation do most white collar financial/accounting jobs give in the PHX area? Right now I get about 5 weeks and love it. Can I expect to get at least 3-4 weeks at a job in PHX?
No. Stay in CT.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Anyway, I think the biggest impediment for me wanting to move long distance in general is the unfortunate fact that I won't be able to see or visit my family up in New England too often. How many weeks of vacation do most white collar financial/accounting jobs give in the PHX area? Right now I get about 5 weeks and love it. Can I expect to get at least 3-4 weeks at a job in PHX?

Are you being serious? Really?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Are you being serious? Really?
Yes....why? Seeing family is important to me. And seeing how it takes a full day of travel to go to CT, that's even more of a reason to have ample days off. Right now I get 23 PTO days per year. I'd be satisfied with at least 15-20 days though, if I were to live in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area