Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:28 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
If I were you, I would want to be more centrally located. Activities centered around your daughter are likely to be very far away from that location.
You must not be familiar with VT. Anywhere in the Phoenix metro area, even a far-flung exurb such as Queen Creek, is convenient by VT standards.

OP, Queen Creek is a lovely, clean, family-friendly area and very convenient by VT standards. It has everything you could only dream of having in your VT town, including a Walmart Supercenter AND a Target! No longer are the days you'll need to take a ferry to go to Target! (VT humor)

If Queen Creek is where you end up, I'm certain you and your family will love it. Welcome to Arizona, fellow New Englander.

Last edited by 8to32characters; 01-28-2014 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 06:30 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
You must not be familiar with VT. Anywhere in the Phoenix metro area, even a far-flung exurb such as Queen Creek, is convenient by VT standards.

OP, Queen Creek is a lovely, clean, family-friendly area and very convenient by VT standards. It has everything you could only dream of having in your VT town, including a Walmart Supercenter AND a Target! No longer are the days you'll need to take a ferry to go to Target! (VT humor)

If Queen Creek is where you end up, I'm certain you and your family will love it. Welcome to Arizona, fellow New Englander.

Convenient by distance, perhaps, but traffic would be different here. QC is a fine place, but not if you find yourself having to drive in traffic long distances to do what you want to do beyond good just beyond basic shopping, which is available there. I'd give the OP the same advice I'd give others here.... consider renting for six months to a year before you buy. That may be more difficult for the OP due to accessibility issues in the home, but it's something to consider.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:32 PM

6 posts, read 7,754 times
Yes for Vermont standards we aren't really worried about a 30 min drive to activities etc. thats about how long it takes to get anywhere around here we are currently taking our daughter to Albany NY to do things occasionally and that's like 3.5 hours including a ferry ride. 3.5 hrs in the car with a 3 and 6 year old feels like an eternity And we like farmland and rural areas. Or the burbs. We def plan on renting for starters to make sure we like the area. Hopefully wheelchair accessible rentals arent too hard to come by. We might rent a house. Thanks again for all the great info!

Old 02-03-2014, 04:32 PM

24 posts, read 49,589 times
Great topic. My wife and I are also moving this year (in Aug) to the Pho area. We currently live in Virginia and have a girl (9) and two boys, (14 and 12, both with Muscular Dystrophy). Our boys need to remain as active as they can for as long as they can before they are 100% dependent on their wheelchairs. They love to be outside. This winter, the high temp has been 40 degrees or below for 28 of the 33 days so far this year. Generates cabin fever.
We have been considering the move for the past 2-3 years and will finally pull the trigger this year. We have family in Mesa and went to visit in Dec 2012 and fell in love with the area, as we expected we would. We are looking in some of the far out suburbs (Buckeye, Apache Junction, Casa Grande). We enjoy the country life, though like having a city within an hour or so.
I have read so many of the threads on here and have gotten SO much great information. One thing I often chuckle at is the mention of 'long' commutes of 45-60 minutes. I currently commute 200 miles round trip. I could live in Black Canyon City, travel to downtown Phoenix, and have a better commute than I do now
I grew up in Denver and really miss the West. The people on the East coast and people in the West are just different. If you have only been in the West or only been in the East, I can't explain it. If you have been in both the East and the West, then you know exactly what I mean. I'm not going to say one is better than the other, just different. Though I have been in the East for 15 years, the West keeps calling for me.
We are ready for the weather (I don't need 'seasons'; and wouldn't care if AZ was all 'dry and brown'). Hot? so what....we can stay indoors for 3 months. Better than staying indoors for 6 months (nov-apr).

I have read there are a lot of 'crazy fast' drivers on the roads. Good.

I am self employed and won't be looking for work, so that makes things easier.

All in all, we are really looking forward to it. All of you that live in the phoenix area that make a lot of posts and replys on here, keep it up. It is great information and really appreciated.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:48 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfritodude View Post

I have read there are a lot of 'crazy fast' drivers on the roads. Good.
I wish . Once the Canadian license plates head North again in a couple months things should be a little better on the roads.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:32 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,063 times
You may also want to consider the city of Maricopa since you will be renting at first, that is where I started out 8 years ago. I ended up in Chandler and love it here. I grew up in Boston.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:27 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

If Wikipedia can be accepted as a source of measurements, I beg to differ that "Vermont standards" make commutes in the Phoenix Metro seem "convenient." Vermont is 9,620 sq. miles. Metropolitan Phoenix is 16,573 sq. miles. No amount of lack of snow, or the existence of freeways, can disguise the fact that commuting from Queen Creek to, oh say Glendale, for work is going to be pleasant. Another thing that will be a big difference (perhaps in a good way) for this family is that Metro Phoenix has a population of more than 4 million, compared to a total state population of about 627,000 in Vermont.

To cod0995 I would say, think about it this way. Maricopa County is about the same size as the entire state of New Jersey. Hence, most people's reluctance to suggest a place to live when we don't know where your employment will be.

Many people consider the Great Schools website to be a reliable source of information about schools in Phoenix, if you'd like to explore. Phoenix Schools - Phoenix Arizona School Ratings - Public and Private

I don't have children myself, but I have heard many people speak favorably about the Kyrene School District in Chandler. I know that Chandler also has a great emphasis on all kinds of activities for children of all ages, including well equipped parks and an arts center. It also has more diversity than some suburban areas. But please don't get too excited about settling anywhere until you get your employment figured out. The traffic on freeways during rush hour can easily double the "should-be" length of any commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area