Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 03:15 PM

42 posts, read 49,766 times

Advertisements

So I recently accepted a job with the State of Arizona Department of Child Safety and moved back to the Valley after living in Georgia for the last five years. I used to live in the Surprise area before. I now am living in Mesa at an apartment complex in the area of Country Club and University near the main Mesa Library. My job location originally was to be at one of the DCS buildings at 16th Street and Thomas in Phoenix. However now I find out after signing a lease for my apartment in Mesa that my job site location will now be way up in North Phoenix at Pinnacle Peak and 19th Avenue near the I-17 and the Loop 101 and the Deer Valley Airport.

The job is not the best pay, but for a recent college graduate it isn't too bad. It's $16.00 an hour with good benefits and lots of overtime. However I am concerned as to the commute time. With good traffic it will be at least a minimum 45 commute or more. I can't get out of my lease without it destroying my credit. So would this be a normal commute for the Phoenix area or does it even seem worth it? I used to commute before from Surprise to 7th Street and the 101 for less money. I'm just not sure of the traffic situations too much coming from Mesa or the East Valley to Pinnacle Peak. I drive a 2014 Honda Civic, so it's pretty good on gas. I'm trying to transfer closer to Mesa, or would it be better to stay working at Pinnacle Peak. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Russell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 03:18 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,284,187 times
Yep that's too far IMO. I would break the lease and find something between the two locations, preferably North Phoenix. Eventually any cost to break the lease will be offset by less gas money/ car repairs but you benefit in the form of more free time immediately.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:32 PM

445 posts, read 516,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Yep that's too far IMO. I would break the lease and find something between the two locations, preferably North Phoenix. Eventually any cost to break the lease will be offset by less gas money/ car repairs but you benefit in the form of more free time immediately.
I have to disagree. If you have to break the lease outright and harm your credit, you'd be better off sucking it up and dealing with the commute for a year until you can move.

That said, there are often ways that you can get out of a lease under mutually agreed-upon terms. Some places will flat out say, "no way, you're stuck." But many complexes and private landlords will be willing to negotiate on it. You'll likely have to agree to some concessions like an early termination fee or forfeiture of security deposit. But if that's a solution that your complex is open to and it is financially feasible for you, that will probably be your only option. At worst, it doesn't hurt to inquire about the possibility. Just make sure to get a signed agreement specifying that you're released from your lease free and clear if you are able to go that route.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:38 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,284,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
I have to disagree. If you have to break the lease outright and harm your credit, you'd be better off sucking it up and dealing with the commute for a year until you can move.

That said, there are often ways that you can get out of a lease under mutually agreed-upon terms. Some places will flat out say, "no way, you're stuck." But many complexes and private landlords will be willing to negotiate on it. You'll likely have to agree to some concessions like an early termination fee or forfeiture of security deposit. But if that's a solution that your complex is open to and it is financially feasible for you, that will probably be your only option. At worst, it doesn't hurt to inquire about the possibility. Just make sure to get a signed agreement specifying that you're released from your lease free and clear if you are able to go that route.
Oh I never said harm his credit. breaking a lease terms are typically are spelled out in the lease he signed (often times 1-2 months of rent), but may be negotiated too.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:40 PM

Thanks so far for the replies.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:44 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,631,367 times
It sucks that your commute (assuming you take the 101 all the way up and around to the 17) involves a construction zone. The widening should be completed right around the time your lease is up too (assuming that your lease is a year). 45 minutes is above average for the typical metro Phoenix commute, but what can you do? 45 minutes really isn't that extreme. People who commute to central Phoenix from Goodyear, Buckeye, Surprise, Anthem, Gilbert, and East Mesa probably have similar commute times. The 101 is a mess in both directions during rush hour. At least you can spend the next year looking for the best apartment complex or rental house near your office. I know that some of the apartment complexes off the 17, between the 101 and the Carefree Highway, are very reasonably priced for what they offer.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:57 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,155,761 times
One suggestion...talk to your Property Management company. If they have a property closer to your work...you may be able to work out a "lease transfer" to the other property rather than an outright break. I know a couple of companies that will do this but you have to ask.

Otherwise...it really isn't that bad of a commute...32 miles? Not sure what the commute looks like on the 101 through Scottsdale but I hear (via KTAR) that it can get pretty bad if there is an accident.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
One suggestion...talk to your Property Management company. If they have a property closer to your work...you may be able to work out a "lease transfer" to the other property rather than an outright break. I know a couple of companies that will do this but you have to ask.

Otherwise...it really isn't that bad of a commute...32 miles? Not sure what the commute looks like on the 101 through Scottsdale but I hear (via KTAR) that it can get pretty bad if there is an accident.
Yeah. I may look into a lease transfer if they offer it. The 101 can get bad as far as I know if there is an accident.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:43 PM

364 posts, read 496,934 times
Trying to work something out with the property management group seems ideal.

If they are difficult, then I would suck it up and do the commute. I have plenty of co-workers that do a similar commute and many people in south Chandler travel that way. It is very true that the 101 Pima gets bad during rush hour, especially during this construction. You could also use the 51, sometimes it is a little better.

Could you set your schedule to travel during non-peak hours?

Maybe start this job and commute and look for a transfer of either your job or lease?

Old 12-22-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiwowie View Post
Trying to work something out with the property management group seems ideal.

If they are difficult, then I would suck it up and do the commute. I have plenty of co-workers that do a similar commute and many people in south Chandler travel that way. It is very true that the 101 Pima gets bad during rush hour, especially during this construction. You could also use the 51, sometimes it is a little better.

Could you set your schedule to travel during non-peak hours?

Maybe start this job and commute and look for a transfer of either your job or lease?
Yes. I can do that. Honestly the job with DCS is getting depressing dealing with abused kids all day. I like where I live in Mesa. If they won't do a transfer I will deal with the commute if I have to. I may start looking for jobs closer to home or elsewhere in the East Valley or Downtown Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area