Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:08 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
To those of you just moving here and wanting what you had "back home," I would like to make one sincere request. If you want a big lot and are willing to pay for it, more power to you! Please don't come here and spend even more money recreating the landscape you had in Chicagoland, or suburban DC, or Buffalo, NY, or Massachusetts. Yes, thousands of the people who settled Phoenix and Scottsdale in the post-war period did that, but it was a mistake.

This is a desert. And those who can't accept that and work WITH the environment, rather than against it, are damaging a fragile ecological system. So, please, no grassy lawns. No non-native trees. If you want petunias and pansies, put 'em in pots. Once you've been here for awhile, you'll get used to the native look and desert landscaping will seem beautiful to you. Subscribe to Phoenix Home and Garden magazine. You'll find tons of beautiful and colorful things you can do to your yard to fulfill almost anyone's esthetic desires. But you might have to think outside your box if you aren't a Southwest native. If you must have non-native trees and lawns, buy ones that were put there by a less knowledgeable generation. Think of it as buying a vintage mink coat, instead of a new one. We aren't asking you to live without air conditioning or have a yard full of jumping chollas and century plants. Just please try to see beauty in THIS natural world.
I wondered how I would like the desert landscaping when I bought my place. Now I wouldn't have it any other way. I can't understand the people that want a lawn.

Back to the OP. I do not miss a large yard. Hated it in Ohio and would hate it here. More work, higher purchase price, higher taxes, and for what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 PM

768 posts, read 1,759,810 times
Yes - we miss large yards very much. We miss the privacy.

Fences might may good neighbors - fences AND space make better neighbors. IMHO

Old 04-14-2014, 08:47 PM

768 posts, read 1,759,810 times
Quote:
To those of you just moving here and wanting what you had "back home," I would like to make one sincere request. If you want a big lot and are willing to pay for it, more power to you! Please don't come here and spend even more money recreating the landscape you had in Chicagoland, or suburban DC, or Buffalo, NY, or Massachusetts. Yes, thousands of the people who settled Phoenix and Scottsdale in the post-war period did that, but it was a mistake.

This is a desert. And those who can't accept that and work WITH the environment, rather than against it, are damaging a fragile ecological system. So, please, no grassy lawns. No non-native trees. If you want petunias and pansies, put 'em in pots. Once you've been here for awhile, you'll get used to the native look and desert landscaping will seem beautiful to you. Subscribe to Phoenix Home and Garden magazine. You'll find tons of beautiful and colorful things you can do to your yard to fulfill almost anyone's esthetic desires. But you might have to think outside your box if you aren't a Southwest native. If you must have non-native trees and lawns, buy ones that were put there by a less knowledgeable generation. Think of it as buying a vintage mink coat, instead of a new one. We aren't asking you to live without air conditioning or have a yard full of jumping chollas and century plants. Just please try to see beauty in THIS natural world.
Amen, amen, amen.

Jukesgrrl - your post should be required reading for EVERYONE moving to the Valley or living in the Valley.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:20 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:

Very well said! I always figured people who come to the Phoenix area, or any other city for that matter, and keep talking about how great it was in(insert city name where said person is originally from) and try to make a place like where they came from on many levels, and how this/that was "better", my 1st thought is....."hmmmmm.....why did you move here if the other place is what you miss/keep talking about?". I actually said that to one person after they went on and on about some place in Washington state and they looked at me blank and never said anything on that topic again.

My philosophy is assimilate/enjoy what makes a place unique/special on its own or move back to where the grass is apparently greener(pun intended) in some people's minds.

And I'm with you on the native plants/cactus/trees/shrubs....tons of varieties of native beautiful plant material, some that grow only in a few places on earth in our own backyard, and are super easy to care for.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:32 AM

848 posts, read 967,940 times
Big lots can be found. Real estate search sites typically have a filter for lot sizes, so you can at least get a good idea of what's where, and how much.

As for greenery, I don't mind a desert landscape for a (small) front yard. But I'd like a big backyard and while I don't mind quite a bit of it being desert landscaped, I'd like to have at least some grass for the munchkins to run around on.

I do like desert scenery though, and am looking forward to design possibilities someday when we eventually buy a house.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:21 AM

487 posts, read 748,808 times
I don't think anyone was saying they wanted to make their big yard "look like home." AZ native plants are lovely, though I do also want a bit of grass for the dogs. I just want a yard that is not the size of a postage stamp. Like I told the realtor, the reason I'm moving to the Phoenix area is so that I can be outdoors as much as possible. If I wanted apartment life, I'd stay in Illinois. I like a little buffer zone between me and my neighbor.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:54 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
The majority of my yard is landscaped with desert plants, but thankfully I have a little elbow room between me and my neighbor. I drive around some of the newer subdivisions around my house and wonder why anyone would buy a house with a 10 square foot backyard. Might as well live in a condo or an apartment.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:17 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
The majority of my yard is landscaped with desert plants, but thankfully I have a little elbow room between me and my neighbor. I drive around some of the newer subdivisions around my house and wonder why anyone would buy a house with a 10 square foot backyard. Might as well live in a condo or an apartment.
I can give you a couple a reasons (all were factors when I purchased my first home on a postage stamp lot:

A single person (or older couple) don't want lawn work, but want to sit in a backyard, not a balcony.

You don't want shared walls and the noise that is nearly always associated with shared walls.

You want a BBQ. Few (if any) condo's or apartments allow them on your patio or balcony.

You want a doggie door.

BTW, it took me two weeks to kill the little patch of grass in that backyard and fill it with rocks and desert landscaping.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 AM

805 posts, read 2,001,481 times
I am a Phoenix native and I couldn't care less about whether one wants desert or green landscape. It is their yard to do what they please with. I myself would prefer a desert front with native plants/trees and a nice lush backyard green oasis to enjoy with the family.

As far as larger lots, I don't venture to the east side often if ever. If you were looking in north/northwest valley I'd have some suggestions. There are lots of neighborhoods over here that are older, and zoned for horse property that sit on an acre or so.
The current neighborhood we are looking to move to, most homes sit on 5-6000sq ft. We've decided buying at the end of a culd-e-sac would be much better and have found some properties with 11-15,000sq ft lots that way

Old 04-15-2014, 03:03 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbehms View Post
Larger yard?? Easier said than done Joe Just by looking on any close up map, it is house on top of house in most of suburbia Phoenix.

I always appreciate your replies and insight on things, but truthfully, can you tell me of good neighborhoods that have decent size lots that the average person can afford? As a realtor, you would be the one to ask. Would love to hear about some of these neighborhoods around Chandler specifically.
Plenty of houses with huge yards. Mine has a nice sized yard and didnt cost an arm and a leg, you just have to stay out of the newer developments. Take a drive through the neighborhoods around 43rd Ave and Paradise and see how many have BIG yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area