Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 06:44 PM

106 posts, read 251,550 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're from the Northeast and recently were in Phoenix for a family matter. We took the opportunity to look at a couple of communities (age-restricted) - Sun City Grand (which we just happened on) and Cantamia (which we planned to visit). Now that we're home, we're continuing to look at communities on-line since we were very taken with Arizona and have put it on our short list of places to retire.

Our question is this: when we Google Map a community using satellite view, we see lots of undeveloped land around or on the edges of many newer communities being built on the outskirts of Phoenix (or cities around Phoenix). What level of development might be expected in these areas? Should we expect that they will become as developed as the area around Sun City Grand and, if so, how long might it take? (Might I be long gone by then? )

We liked Sun City Grand a lot for a couple of reasons. It was attractive, the area seemed fully built out and the homes were on larger lots than other places we've seen on-line. (But it is large!) We were a little afraid of Cantamia because it's still in very early phases and it's kind of remote - also, the physical layout of the homes on the lots wasn't very attractive to us.

I guess our biggest concern is development. We're used to zoning controlling what one might expect to see in the future. But we're also finding that the Northeast is very different from many other places in the country and we can't necessarily expect them to operate as we're used to.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 07:55 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times
I base my response from having my 87-year-old mother living with me and watching her aging process.

Generally people move into "active adult" communities when they are recently retired, interested in a lot of activities, and in possession of cars. If you have interests outside of the community — pro sports, shopping, theater, art, music, spring training, etc. — you will need to be able to drive if your community doesn't have vans and drivers that ferry residents outside the community. Very few people think about how many years it will be before they will lose their interest in driving long distances, even before they lose their ability. Many elders are not capable of driving at night because of eyesight issues, long before they are willing to stop driving during the day. So how long will that be for you and will you be satisfied with what the community has to offer when the time comes that you are more isolated? Only you can answer that.

Some communities, like Sun City or the SaddleBrookes north of Tucson, have an amazing array of activities. And I'm not just talking golf and tennis. For just one example, one of the SCs has a professional-style workshop where people can go and build furniture if they want to. They have clubs based on every imaginable interest. Other communities are more akin to country clubs where activities are typical sports and the camaraderie of the clubhouse, dining with friends, maybe evening movies or such. Some communities are designed to be accessible to residents through the use of golf carts, which provide an easy way to get around within the area although not outside. Also, consider if you will have friends and family visit. Will you have room to host them in your home or does the community have guest suites? Will the distance to the airport be an issue for you or can your guests rent cars?

Re: your concern about the empty spaces surrounding some of these communities, I personally wouldn't base my decision on what might end up there. Given you're talking about Arizona, it's likely will be more of the same of what is elsewhere: residential subdivisions and chain stores to serve them. Whether or not that occurs sooner rather than later depends on economic growth in Metro Phoenix, which right now appears to be diminishing somewhat. As for the lack of zoning, if you're moving to Arizona you definitely will have to accept that the majority of people here are libertarian. Their "live and let live" attitude has good points and bad points. To address the bad points is why we have communities with management companies and HOAs. They are designed to create living situations where you can have some security from whatever uncertain things might be happening outside the community beyond your control.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:16 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
Hi, we're from the Northeast and recently were in Phoenix for a family matter. We took the opportunity to look at a couple of communities (age-restricted) - Sun City Grand (which we just happened on) and Cantamia (which we planned to visit). Now that we're home, we're continuing to look at communities on-line since we were very taken with Arizona and have put it on our short list of places to retire.

Our question is this: when we Google Map a community using satellite view, we see lots of undeveloped land around or on the edges of many newer communities being built on the outskirts of Phoenix (or cities around Phoenix). What level of development might be expected in these areas? Should we expect that they will become as developed as the area around Sun City Grand and, if so, how long might it take? (Might I be long gone by then? )

We liked Sun City Grand a lot for a couple of reasons. It was attractive, the area seemed fully built out and the homes were on larger lots than other places we've seen on-line. (But it is large!) We were a little afraid of Cantamia because it's still in very early phases and it's kind of remote - also, the physical layout of the homes on the lots wasn't very attractive to us.

I guess our biggest concern is development. We're used to zoning controlling what one might expect to see in the future. But we're also finding that the Northeast is very different from many other places in the country and we can't necessarily expect them to operate as we're used to.

Thanks in advance.
Canta Mia is part of a master planned community. It is very strictly zoned. It will be developed according to the plans approved by the city. However, developers often request changes typically for more dense housing or to change to a commercial zoning. In any case, Canta Mia will be developed as an attractive, affluent retirement community. It is not going to go to mobile home parks or something like that. That would be the farthest thing on my mind. It may take a while though. There is a lot of competition in that market.

Edit: Did you know that Goodyear extends many miles south of Canta Mia? In fact, if Goodyear ever fills in completely, Canta Mia will be somewhere around the middle of the city!

Last edited by Ponderosa; 05-09-2014 at 08:41 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 11:22 PM

805 posts, read 2,002,081 times
The 303 corridor is apparently the next boom area in the valley. At least that is a common opinion. And I don't disagree....I do think it will take longer than projected but soon enough those outskirts will be in the midst of it all

Old 05-10-2014, 03:28 PM

106 posts, read 251,550 times
I appreciate your taking the time to reply to my questions with lots of information to think about. We're anxious to take another trip out there to continue to explore and check things out more closely. Unfortunately, our visit had a purpose that left us little time to explore but what we saw during that time left us wanting more.

It's a beautiful state.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area