Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 12:23 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Easy, fella...painting with a pretty wide brush there. I am from Chicago. Ive been here for 5 years. Ive met many folks here from Chicago and you couldnt be further from the truth.
I think you're making his point, or at least to me you are. Generally I don't know where the people I meet are from unless they are hell bent on telling me where they are from. I'm from somewhere else but to the people I meet I'm an Arizonan and we talk about Arizona things. I've not had a discussion with anyone that I can remember about them and I being from the same places in the past. I talk to my neighbors all the time and outside of one who constantly tells me he is from California and "wants to get back there" I don't think I know where they are from originally.

Heck, in this thread I didn't state where I was from until someone directly asked me on the 18th page where I was from. Your first post in this thread you threw it out there. Maybe I'm wrong though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 12:23 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,177,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
That is exactly what these "economists" and Mike Orr are preaching...they want to attract all these wealthy people from other places (mainly California) that don't do anything other than make our place theirs and force us to move and find cheaper places to live. If you want to switch your work to a service industry servicing the Californians that take your current job then it's a great plan for you. I've lived it three times over, during two decades, and not excited about doing it again in Arizona. Luckily at the time I was secure in the military, however, those around were not as secure as I was. Not to mention, I'm no longer secure in the military so it would affect me directly.
Our traumatic experience with the housing boom and bust in Phoenix originated from the liar loans by specuvestors though. Not unusual for a specuvestor to sign 10 liar loans (all "owner occupied") and thus artificially decreasing the housing supply. When things turned sour he foreclosed on the ten homes thus artificially increasing the housing supply. This caused the extremely wild price swings which at times priced many Phoenicians out of the market and caused further havoc for more. I doubt I'll ever see anything like this in my lifetime again btw.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:30 PM

555 posts, read 862,099 times
Quote:
I think you're making his point, or at least to me you are. Generally I don't know where the people I meet are from unless they are hell bent on telling me where they are from. I'm from somewhere else but to the people I meet I'm an Arizonan and we talk about Arizona things. I've not had a discussion with anyone that I can remember about them and I being from the same places in the past. I talk to my neighbors all the time and outside of one who constantly tells me he is from California and "wants to get back there" I don't think I know where they are from originally.

Heck, in this thread I didn't state where I was from until someone directly asked me where I was stationed. Your first post you threw it out there. Maybe I'm wrong though...
You are wrong. Generalizations...generalizations. City-data is a magnet for them. Check out the city vs city forum and you will learn.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:51 PM

784 posts, read 923,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Ok. Well bring them on, then. The ones we get now are the bottom of the barrel California - the rednecks, retirees, the uneducated who have failed or can't make it there. Some quality imports would be good for us and if they demand something other from their community than low taxes, all the better. We could use a few more educated people here. A little culture won't kill us.
So far the "educated people" you are refering to in California are showing how much they lack in common sense....I don't really think those are the people you want....unless you want higher crime, bad schools and much higher unemployment rates....who in their right mind would wish for that?

Old 05-16-2014, 04:54 PM

784 posts, read 923,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The problem with midwesterners is they never adjust. They think everything is better where they came from (except the weather). People from Chicago are truly the worst. If you ever spend time talking to them it's Chicago this, Chicago that. And the Cubs and the Bears. Ugh. Really obnoxious people but as a fellow Yooper, I believe, you know that already.
Pride of a sports team is one thing.....but resisting reality on economic issues is unforgiveable....especially after so many failed experiments.

Interesting that so many of us have the ability to be mobile while some preaching can't yet figure it out..hmmm.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:32 PM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Then that brings up the next problem...Once they are here and have sucked up all the jobs and houses they all then want to turn the new place they moved to into an exact copy, politically, of the place they just left that they were running to get away from. This creates new liberal strongholds that are ruined just like they ruined California (looking at you Washington and Oregon) and the failures of California start repeating themselves here.

I'm telling you from experience...their is no good outcome to Orr's plan.

Building industry and jobs for Arizonans is the way we should be looking to grow, not making Arizona a transplant state for Californians who want to get out of their mess.
Maybe you ought to think of yourself as an American, instead of as an Arizonan.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Huh? First, I have no idea what you're talking about as you're way off in left field. Maybe you didn't read the OP that we're all discussing? Second, I doubt you want to start that conversation with me...

Maybe you missed that it is the United STATES of America and not "America". Being Arizonan makes me "American" (not the other way around) along with many other things I'd be happy to share with you in private...

Old 05-16-2014, 06:47 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,946,687 times
Quote:
or maybe we should think of ourselves as citizens of the world? good grief !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the United States, there are 50 states Washington D.C. is not considered a state. It is a federal district and is the capital of the United States. Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, and the Mariana Islands are United States territories where people born there have U.S. citizenship but do not have the right to vote.
The individual states have rights to govern themselves in the way the people of the state see fit.
The Federal government originally had little authority over the states it was originally supposed to have primary responsibility of protecting our borders and currency and has failed in both of these areas .

Recently a hero police officer was killed because of lack of border security and the printing presses have been running 24/7 for years weakening our dollar with each passing minute.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...d-illegal.html

Last edited by autism360; 05-16-2014 at 07:09 PM..

Old 05-16-2014, 07:00 PM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Huh? First, I have no idea what you're talking about as you're way off in left field. Maybe you didn't read the OP that we're all discussing? Second, I doubt you want to start that conversation with me...

Maybe you missed that it is the United STATES of America and not "America". Being Arizonan makes me "American" (not the other way around) along with many other things I'd be happy to share with you in private...
Americans have the right to move freely within this nation. To seek jobs in any state they wish. To join in the political events of a state, even if they are new to the state.

There are no restrictions just because one recently moved to Arizona.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Americans have the right to move freely within this nation. To seek jobs in any state they wish. To join in the political events of a state, even if they are new to the state.

There are no restrictions just because one recently moved to Arizona.
Come on, surely you're not serious?

No one, including myself said or is promoting "restrictions" on Californians moving to Arizona.

I'm speaking against creating a state economic grow plan that is based off of marketing the state as a place for wealthy people from a "market of people" (as was stated in the OP) which in this case is California.

I have no problem with ANYONE moving here from California, heck I moved here from somewhere else. I do have a problem with following the advice of Mike Orr who thinks that drawing wealthy Californians here is the answer to all our problems and what we need to build our growth plan on.

I know you knew this though and just wanted to get your post count up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area