Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 03:20 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times

Advertisements

Bunky...are you comparing drinking and fighting with manhood? Lol...the reality is drinking is NOT a criminal activity...drinking to intoxication is not a criminal activity either...BUT drinking to intoxication and driving IS....so is fighting with people (drunk or otherwise).

As society has evolved and progressed we have come to understand what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior. If you like we can devolve back into animals and fight, kill at random, rape, and live in caves underground....and you can have your twisted version of "Manhood" back. As it stands now..Manhood has nothing to do with drinking or fighting....however there are many countries that will suit your idea of Manhood...so do the US a favor and move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 03:20 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
There's no evidence this is the case. It's an oft stated assumption that the antics of this sadist reduce crime, but the crime statistics of the Valley proves otherwise. The place is more dangerous that ever despite the sheriff's "reforms."

But, the people out there will continue to elect that guy because, frankly, they don't care about statistics or reducing crime. They just want to feel like something is "being done" so the ignorant masses will continue to reelect Joe.

One purpose he does serve though is as a perfect representation of the sophistication level of the majority of the population there.
Just keep in mind - Arpaio is only responsible for the Unincorporated areas of Maricopa County - and the jail

Take the crime stats for all of Maricopa county, back out all the cities - then compare

Old 12-11-2007, 03:26 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
The place is more dangerous that ever despite the sheriff's "reforms."
That would probably have to do with the fact that the population growth in the region has been very high. The higher the population, the more crime, simple as that.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:37 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Men convicted of drunken driving will don bright pink shirts and perform burials of people who died of alcohol abuse as part of a new chain gang in Phoenix.

Fifteen Maricopa County inmates will wear the shirts, which say “Sheriff D.U.I. Chain Gang” on the front and “Clean (ing) and Sober” on the back.

Sheriff's spokesman Capt. Paul Chagolla said the chain gang will be the first ever that's dedicated to one type of crime. The new chain gang is set to hit the streets of Phoenix Tuesday.

Chagolla said the chain gang will clean busy streets in full view of commuters and perform burials in indigent cemeteries where many died from alcohol abuse,
Great post, Greatday!

Obviously, the old fashion types of punishment weren't doing all that well so maybe this new Sheriff Joe approach will work.

I have a co-worker friend who has had a number of DUI's and even without a Drivers License . . . drives every day and thinks absolutely nothing of it.

Maybe there should be a link to Vehicle Registration so anyone without a current license won't be able to register a vehicle.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:39 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,110,344 times
Quote:
Just keep in mind - Arpaio is only responsible for the Unincorporated areas of Maricopa County - and the jail

Take the crime stats for all of Maricopa county, back out all the cities - then compare
Like I say, I was a pretty strong fan of his for a long time and really tired of his constant grandstanding. I also get a bit concerned with all of the folks that have died in his custody. I am as far from liberal as one can be by the way.
This guys act has just grown old.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:40 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,614 times
Quote:

Perhaps but my understanding is that he is responsible for the housing of inmates for people sentenced in county jail (i.e. not the state pen's but county jail). He touches pretty much every offender that goes through the system.

See, the problem is that once someone is a murderer or a violent felon the system has already failed. Almost all of these guys start out with petty crime and other minor offenses. A true system of rehabilitation would nip the problem in the bud at that point. Instead, the current system under Joe simply attempts to humiliate and embarrass people. Young offenders come out of there angry, dejected, and unskilled except for the criminal contracts they made on the inside. That is why the recidivism rate is so high. Joe's antics are having the exact opposite effect on crime; it's simply reviving up people to commit more crimes. That is why he is a failure and a joke.

Steve-O

The crime rate is adjusted for population. The crime rate has sky rocketed.

And if your theory that the more population, the higher the crime rate were true, New York City would have the highest crime rate in the country. Which, of course everyone knows, is not the case. Phoenix is more dangerous than NYC.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:41 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,110,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Great post, Greatday!

Obviously, the old fashion types of punishment weren't doing all that well so maybe this new Sheriff Joe approach will work.

I have a co-worker friend who has had a number of DUI's and even without a Drivers License . . . drives every day and thinks absolutely nothing of it.

Maybe there should be a link to Vehicle Registration so anyone without a current license won't be able to register a vehicle.
Do you think your friends ongoing issues will stop as a result of guys wearing pink underwear and picking up trash? Your friends problems are way too deep to have something like Joes new stunt be effective. People that are repeat offenders and continuously drive drunk are not going to bat an eye at this new stunt. If the fines, jail time, tent city and the like doesnt sway them, why will this?

Old 12-11-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Perhaps but my understanding is that he is responsible for the housing of inmates for people sentenced in county jail (i.e. not the state pen's but county jail). He touches pretty much every offender that goes through the system.

See, the problem is that once someone is a murderer or a violent felon the system has already failed. Almost all of these guys start out with petty crime and other minor offenses. A true system of rehabilitation would nip the problem in the bud at that point. Instead, the current system under Joe simply attempts to humiliate and embarrass people. Young offenders come out of there angry, dejected, and unskilled except for the criminal contracts they made on the inside. That is why the recidivism rate is so high. Joe's antics are having the exact opposite effect on crime; it's simply reviving up people to commit more crimes. That is why he is a failure and a joke.

The County jail is used for two purposes: One, to hold a suspect pending initial appearance and release, or pending that persons trial. The other purpose is to house inmates, convicted of crimes, who have sentences of less than one year.

The average sentence is around 3 months.

If you are expecting a rehab program to be in place for those awaiting trial, or those there for a couple of months, think again. It is not possible

Old 12-11-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
Do you think your friends ongoing issues will stop as a result of guys wearing pink underwear and picking up trash?
AND, digging graves for victims harmed by drunk drivers?

I personally like the idea of sending this inmates to the morgue - to have them watch the autopsies

Old 12-11-2007, 03:48 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Men convicted of drunken driving will don bright pink shirts and perform burials of people who died of alcohol abuse as part of a new chain gang in Phoenix.

Fifteen Maricopa County inmates will wear the shirts, which say “Sheriff D.U.I. Chain Gang” on the front and “Clean (ing) and Sober” on the back.

Sheriff's spokesman Capt. Paul Chagolla said the chain gang will be the first ever that's dedicated to one type of crime. The new chain gang is set to hit the streets of Phoenix Tuesday.

Chagolla said the chain gang will clean busy streets in full view of commuters and perform burials in indigent cemeteries where many died from alcohol abuse,

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ … 11-on.html (broken link)

A pink shirt would pose no humiliation to me. I wear pink shirts by choice, so that "humiliation" intended would be of no effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area